Better suspension set up for Chevelle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Better suspension set up for Chevelle

Hi everyone,

I recently got plans for ladder bars from willys (thanks ) I have a few basic questions though.
1.When useing ladder bars is the anything else you should always use such as a panhard bar or a dia. link?

2. Stock length of the lower control arms is 22 inches bolt to bolt. I somehow believe this should be longer for ladder bar use ( since it is a rather big car) and also set lower so the bars are at less of an angle. Can anyone tell me if it would be right to make longer bars. (More fab. will have to be done to do this but if it is the right then to do then im all for it)

3. I see some ladder bar set ups mount in front of the axle and others that mount below it. What is the reason for this? For a car like mine what would be the best place to have them mounting both front and back?

If someone could just explain this to me a little better. I want a good working suspension for the street and track. I know there is so much to learn about this and I have read through about 50 posts which has helped but I still would like some direct input on this.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2005, 06:13 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Chris,
This is a real good read:
http://www.cachassisworks.com/TechTi...ip-001_WEB.pdf
It should give you some insight right from the supplier.
I won't recommend ladder bars for a street car. There are plenty of guys on the site who will vouche for them though so continuing asking questions until you are satisfied.
Mark
Old 03-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

thanks Mark,

That is a really great link. It explains different things I had asked about very well. I think that making the bars is within my grasp and I can do that. I also have worked up a design to correctly mount the bars to the car. It will requires a new cross member but I can then have brackets that come off that to allow for the most adjust-ability.
Making the bars and such is not so much the hard part but I want to have the placement correct before I start making. I have a pretty good idea how to make everything just where to measure first and the final placement that I need to understand better.

Chris

Last edited by strikingthematch; 03-18-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer
Hey Chris,
I won't recommend ladder bars for a street car. There are plenty of guys on the site who will vouche for them though so continuing asking questions until you are satisfied.
Mark

I am curious as to why you dont recomend them for the street. I have never used ladder bars but have never seen them not recomended and was just wondering why?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

From my understanding the only real reason not to use them is that they can cause binding. On even ground they work great put when one tire say hits a pot hole it can cause one side to bind and bend the bars or break something. To get around this you use poly or rubber bushing in the end of the bars (where it attaches to frame) The bushing allow for the bars to give a little and allow for movement of the frame. Kinda like your stock lower conrtol arms do. In most cases this sloves the problem as long as your not doing anything too extreme.

Chris

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.