Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Beware of bad stencil kits
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well thanks for the kind words. it seems odd that on New Years Day I am online looking at emails. But its raining and I am bored. I think I'm gonna go in the shop for a while. Its either housework or paintwork. I'm bored with tv.

The profession of custom painting is a hard one. It involves brutal hours, unreal multitasking, seat of the pants thinking when things go wrong, which they often do. Its crazy to think I've been doing this since 1979. So many painting adventures over the years.

And that's what makes this thread important to me. Its a horrible sensation to apply a stencil and think "All I have to do is spray the paint, peel off the stencil, spray the clear and I'm done! Yippee!"
Then you try and remove the stencil, and it breaks into tiny pieces or peels up the basecoat with it, or leaves behind tons of adhesive on the surface or better yet, all 3 of these things happen. Now you are waaaay behind where you were when you started the day. You'd give anything to go back that point and do the stencil another way. You are in hell. If you live near a bridge, you are tempted to jump off it.

So always remember, there are no shortcuts in custom painting, any paint, material, or tool that 'seems' like a bargain, is not a bargain. Spend the time and money to get the quality stuff, you might think you're making more profit from using cheaper stuff, but when it goes wrong, and it will at the worst possible time, all that money you saved is so not worth it.
And always remember test unknown stuff, always. Better to buy a little extra and find out how and if it works than to find out on the vehicle and maybe ruin work you've already done.