BEWARE of hidden cost with SBC Yahoo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 11:45 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

BEWARE of hidden cost with SBC Yahoo

the wife called the phone company (SBC) about our bill & when she was done the guy asked if we would like info on SBC Yahoo DSL. She told him to talk to me since I use the putor more then anyone.
So I listen to his pitch & thought it was a great deal, I'd be able to get rid of one phone line along w/being able to have BOTH computors on line at the same time along w/being able to use the phone w/o problems.
I was told that the equipment would be $149 BUT I would get a $100 rebate even before they ship it, which I didnt think was too bad. I asked all the QQQQ's I could think of since we had 2 computors & a phone. I wanted to be sure everything was covered so asked again about how both computors can be on at the same time, the guy told me that I would get a special phonejack that would let me do this.
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL I got all my stuff last friday & today I figgered that I would start the hook up to DSL. Well to my surprise the one jack for the other computor wasnt in the package w/the other stuff. So I get on the phone & call them, well after about 15 minutes on hold & being switched back & forth between people I finally get to talk to someone. Well this person tell me that the extra jack is another $50, so it would be a total of $100 to get on to SBC Yahoo DSL, which I guess aint bad for a 1 time fee. But what burns me is I was told there was NO CHARGE for this extra jack & I even told the guy to have someone pull up my conversation w/whoever it was with & they would hear that I was told there was NO CHARGE for it.
He said he would have it done BUT there was still a charge of $50 for the "SPECIAL" phone jack. With that I told him that I felt as though I was getting screwed by them because thats not what I was told. AND the icing on the cake was when he told me to stop cursing at him, well he lost me here & I TOLD him if I had cursed at him then play it back (they say they record the calls)because "DAMN & SCREWED" arent curse words to me. Well he said he cant play it back & then that's when I told him he was a lier & where he could stick his DSL equipment, then i hung up on him.

SOOOO folks just make sure ya get all the facts when dealing w/any of these folks, because all I know was I asked everything I could & then I was lied too. SOOO for right now I'll just have to pay for my extra phone line & stay w/AOHELL for now.... BUT then again my sis-n-law works for SBC & I'm going to talk to her about what kinda deal she'll get me on it, ya never know, I might get it for free or next to nothing, cant hurt to ask...

stepping down off my soap box & stopping my rage over this BS.........joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 12:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Special phone jack? Never heard of such thing...
I have 2 PCs hooked up to DSL at any given time 24/7. I have my PC and my kid's PC.
For $100 here's what you need. I bought mine off ebay for $30...they are on there all of the time and very easy to hook up.
Ebay Routers
Or if you don't trust buying off ebay you can go hereStaples
I have both of my PCs networked together with this router also...very nice and very simple to use.
They WILL charge you extra if they find out that you have more than 1 PC online...kinda like the cable company. Same concept, look at what it would cost to for the cable guy to run cable to every room in your house, and then get billed for every TV in the house VS. You running the cable and not telling them how many rooms to charge you for.
They don't explain all of their fees they bill you for and I don't explain to them how many hookups my house has or how they got there.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 01-05-2004, 01:34 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

hey weimer (man that sounds odd coming out of me), I have NO IDEA what I'm doing here, so can ya help a fellow weimer out here. I do want to go DSL but have no idea exactly what I need, but by looking at the ebay site I do get an Idea. My QQQQ is this, can ya give me an idea of what I may need to do what you did, cause it would be great to have only one phone line again & be able to use the phone & both computors at one time. Also did you have to put somekind of filter on your phones so you wouldnt have any interference w/the DSL....joe

and Gen3, I thinks I will be calling the "PUC", thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 07:32 PM

Well here is the deal my friend. Go buy an ADSL router. Linksys and D-Link are by far the most popular and reliable. My linksys was as simple as plugging it all in, no techie required. Although I did have some problems with my setup when I tried changing things around a bit and ended up having to call my phone company. I dunno if it is the same there as it is here in Canada but my phone company TOLD me how to set up multiple computers under one router. They don't seem to care as when you pay for the service they are chargining you to register either one or two MAC addresses (Network IDs, can be computers network cards or routers) Now if you use just a HUB it's not going to hide whats behind it, this is why you need a router. Nothing fancy just a basic router and the price of these things isn't all that much.

You also must put filters on your other phones or there will be a constant "fuzz" over the line.

It's fairly simple but intimidating to those who do not know.

Good luck

Henry

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.