Beware of those Quick Oil Change Shops! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 07:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Angry Beware of those Quick Oil Change Shops!

Sent the wife down to the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change shop to have the oil changed in her new Hemi Ram. (3000 mile switch to synthetic and filter change).

Before you get on me for not doing it myself, I prefer not to service new cars while they're under warrantee. I would rather have all service done by "professionals" so I have iron clad proof of proper maintenance should a problem arise. (Been bitten by that one before) So.....

When I was done working on the 53 in the garage and had everything moved back into place so she could bring her truck in, I noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the engine as she pulled into the garage. Checked the oil level and they had shorted her 2 qts. of oil. Checked the receipt and sure enough they had only put 5 qts. in. The 5.7 ltr. hemi requires 7 qts.

The only saving factor was that she had good oil pressure the whole time (I trained her well) and only had to drive 1/2 mile home. Valvoline has a 100% satisfactory guarantee so needless to say I filled out the back of the receipt and sent it to corporate for a full refund ($54) this morning. The reason I'm not satisfied as stated in the provided space.... Service performed by idiots!

I guess, just like anything else if you want it done correctly... You have to do it yourself.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2003, 08:19 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

thats because some of those places have people who cant put gas in their own cars working there, Our Valvoline Instant Oil shop buys more universal replacement oil plugs at the parts store next to it because they like stripping the oil plugs OUT!!!! thats why I will NEVER go there again, NONE of them, & same shop had to pay for a NEW MOTOR in a friends NEW car because they DIDNT put the oil in it , now tell me what kind of morons do they hire at some of they places (not all are like this though) when they're suppose to do they so called checking system BEFORE they start the car....joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; 10-06-2003 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I always have my oil changes at the quicky places. They will change the oil and wash the truck for just a hair over what it cost me for the oil an filter, and then I dont have to mess with it.

That said, Walmart is the only place I have had problems. I had a Ford ranger pickup with 5spd trans that started getting a little stiff on shifts. As soon as it happened I took it to Wally World and had an oil change and told them to check and fill the trans. On check out I asked again if they did. He said it was full. Drove a 100 more miles or so and the trans cratered. Took it to trans shop and they said it was bone dry and had been leaking slowy for a long time. Another story, but all high mileage ford ranger 5 spds do this. Unfortunately I did not have my reciept from the oil change, and I did not have any action I could take against Walmart, except telling everyone i know and not using them any more.

Chris
Old 10-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Wallymart sucks, too many horrorstories about short dills there, bone dry batteries. What do you expect from minimum wage people? and wallmart employees on top of that? they get sh.t on more than any other employees I know of. Valvoline experience is the same as Toomany's, 3 stripped plugs, I quit going there. The 10 min. Juffy lube here in town does a good job, so far anyway. I'm in the same boatas centerline, both vehicles have warranties and I want the documentation, especially my wife's Hyundai. 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty is what sold us, also the fact she thought the Sante Fe's were cute. The rest get dhanges at home. Dan
Old 10-06-2003, 10:36 AM
S10 Super Sleepers

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I spent a year or two working in the service center of Farm & Fleet. The thing that would drive in from Wal-Mart. For about a month or so we kept getting cars in with a bad vibration after new tires at wally World. Turns out that one tech would put the lug nuts on finger tight and another Different tech would tighten them down with an impact. Needless to say, the later wasn't being done. Thats why you only let one tech work on a vehicle from start to finish.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Thumbs down

Once upon a time, around 15 years ago, I made a split second decision to take the family on a weekend camping trip. The Wife and Daughter rounded up the gear while I ran the pickup down to Jiffy Lube for a quick oil change. Once I got that "chore" done I went home, loaded up the gear, made one last check of the house and was headed out the door for the truck when I heard the phone ring.. I said to myself, should I answer it or just get the hell out of Dodge? Well, I answered it and it was a guy from Jiffy Lube wanting me to check the drain plug in the rear end for fear they had left it out. He was right, it was gone and there was a nice little puddle of 90W in the driveway - I was pissed.... They dispatched a kid out to fix his screw up and nothing ever came of it. A lot of time has passed since then, and I can count on one hand, how many times I've been back to Jiffy Lube since.
Five months ago I bought my wife a really sweet little 99 Jeep Cherokee from a dealer and it came with guess what - five free complimentary oil changes at JIFFY LUBE!! I decided to give 'em one more crack at doing the job right, to take advantage of these "Freebies." I told them them to just change the oil and filter, I'll take care of the rest. WRONG! They ripped the air filter out of its plastic box, and really jerked things around under the hood. I even had to show the kid how to put it back after he'd struggled with canister for several minutes.. Once I got Barb's Jeep back in the driveway, I decided to check the drain plugs just for the heck of it. I was pleased to see they were all tight but somewhat miffed to see that they'd rattle-canned a six inch radius around the plugs 'Safety Yellow,' as was part of their check list.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for kids to learn about cars but, when it comes to my personal vehicles and dealing with a franchise outfit like Jiffy Lube and Kids "I don't know from Adam," That's where I draw the line. All the kids I've been privileged enough to home school on automotive fundamentals, have learned it right. In the garage, one step at a time. I've always focus on quality, not quantity. Most of the kids that work at these high pressure "quickie lubes' have been taught all wrong. Franchise outfits look at the bottom line above everything else. Franchise outfits push sales above excellence, it's all too obvious..

Take the ride there if you must but double check everything.

Mover
Old 10-06-2003, 07:12 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I have one simple opinion on 'these' places. What type of self-respecting technician would work in a shop where his most difficult job for the day is replacing an air filter? I'm not saying that a mistake can't happen anywhere but the percentages of screw-ups in these 'quick lube' places is mind blowing.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I only have two story`s from a quick lube place, as I`ve never been to one myself. friend of mine had a ford pickup, we yanked the 351M out of it and he got a new one from Jasper engines, we swapped cams, timing chain, added a edelbrock intake and a holley carb and slapped it in and sent him on his way, after a few months had went by, he called and told us what happened, he took it to get the oil changed, I do believe at Jiffy lube, they changed the oil and filter, he was leaving and the truck started to run real rough then shut off, he hit the key and it turned over real slow and then not at all, so he gets out of the truck and pushes it into the turn lane, he`s not a block away from Jiffy lube, he looks behind him and see`s a trail of oil, he walks back to where the trail is and finds the drain plug they failed to tighten. he goes back and raises all kinds of he** and they made it right, they paid for a new engine and to get it swapped. I don`t think he`s been back there since. another friend of mine had a Z24 he took into one to get it placed on a machine to find out why it was skipping, they did so and told him " it needs a complete tune up, 2 new coil packs, a module, mass air flow sensor and a crank shaft position sensor, your total will come to about $650" he said "ok, I`ll bring it back later" and left, he goes to another shop about 3 miles away, a older guy got in the car, took it down the road, came back and said "give me a minute" he goes in the shop, comes out with a meter, checks the plug wires, shows him how high the resistance is and the obvious heat cracks, says it needs new wires, he had him do so and left with the car running great.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Thumbs down

Jiffy Lube, first, last, and only time.
The overtightened and stripped drain plug threads were bad enough they ended up rethreading the hole to a metric plug to "make it right".
Now I offer to change friends and family members oil and filters for free if they bought the stuff to do it.
They ruin their own reputations well enough.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Story 1 Quickie Job changed the oil and checked the fluids on a good friends mustang with a tremec five gear. After about ten min. of playing with the clutch and gear lever they pushed out of the shop and told us they couldn't figure out how to get into gear. We got in the car and it wouldn't slide into gear fro us either. We complained and they said to take it to the shop for repairs. We called my buddy at the trans shop and he came to get the car. Apparently, To our confusion, They pulled the wrong bolts and dropped the over drive gear in to the pan. I know little about he tremecs but this is what the trans shop manager had said to us. Since our buddy worked at the shop he was able to ream them of a rental for two day's and 1800 for trans parts and labor.

Story 2 I always put a 3000 RPM Rev chip into the ignition box anytime someone else is driving my car. I had taken the car to the local Stupid Center(big Wal-Mart) for an oil change and tires that I carried in, as well as my girlfriends discount and other amenities that I could con my friend who worked part time there out of. This was my twelve second camaro that was most noticeable will idling. I was standing inside the building when I heard the chip poppin and banging. I rushed to the counter and began raising hell. Why do they need to hold the car against the rev limiter for 20 seconds! I got free work for sometime as well as a lecture from the tech punk who tried to tell me something was wrong with carburetors.

I got so many of these story's almost unbelievable.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

The scary thought is that these place are not unique in this type of situation. Good training and the thought of Anybody CAN"T do this is a key factor. Most of the time it's training by sink or swim method.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

I work part time at an oil change. Its a small, one bay operation and is not part of a chain. Whenever a car comes in with a Wal-Mart sticker, you can pretty much guarantee that something will be wrong...wrong filter, stripped plug...ect. DON'T GO TO WALMART
Old 10-09-2003, 04:33 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

any and all of the above reasons are why I change the oil in my friends & family cars & trucks, & besides I tell them if they want to pay someone to do it, PAY ME! ! ! ! .....joe
Old 10-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

I think they just add 5qts and never bother to check what the car really needs. My 91 Nissan takes 4, but at the quick lube, they add 5. Our Durango(R.I.P.) needed 6, but got 5.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

I used to change tires at SAM'S CLUB and I gotta say, I considered myself a mechanical genius compared to the guys I worked with. The guys in the garage aren't one bit more clever than the retards behind the checkout registers.

I can't count how many cars were dropped with no wheels on, lugs stripped, wheels un-balanced, and anything else you can think of that was 'left-off' when a car left that place under supervision of anyone but myself or my boss.

So unless I've had time to talk to the fellas and get a feel for their reputation, their garage will never see any of my cars unless I can't do it myself.

MoocH

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.