beyond frustration - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One other question. Any of you guys that shoot white have any tricks for seeing the wetline

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

With single stage 320 grit should be fine, the most important thing here is use guide coat and eliminate as many problem areas as possible.

Well it's probably the sanding that makes it smooth, the guide coat helps make everything straight...I finish prep everything I do in 800 wet, I only use Black primer, even if I would paint something White (I can't remember the last time I painted anything White). The reason being, Black paint shows everything so it stands to reason that Black primer would show more than lighter colored primer. When I wet sand, I will look down the side of a panel and pick a reflection...that reflection, when moving back in forth, needs to be as consistent as a mirror, without any deviation. When I have achieved this, I know my panel is straight and ready for paint.

It's the second time today someone has asked about what kind of guide coat to use on dark or black primers. I prefer to use an aerosol can of white or buff (yellow) lacquer primer. I lightly spray a dry, mist coat on and block away. I've tried using other materials like white base coat, (plugs up the sand paper) a lighter color of the same primer I'm using (this works, but it means that I have to buy a lighter color just for guide coat) White Lacquer aerosol primer is cost effective, doesn't plug paper and tells me where my highs and lows are.

Ray
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

I think I am sanding now because I am nervous to pick up the gun. (LOL) I am almost done preppin it. I am going to wake up in the morning and as Ray said mix up a small amount of paint and hit the problem areas and see what happens. If it reappears, ill stop. If it is good ill let it flash and spray the rest of it.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It's going to work out...White is the hardest color to spray exactly for the reason that you mentioned. It's hard to see where your going and where you've been. When I spray White, I "trust the force" and often need to rely on experience.

As long as the effected areas are prepped properly and the imperfections removed or filled...you will be fine. I'll be watching my computer for the good news.

Ray
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Im going to spray the affected areas as you said and see what happens. Probably spray a square foot in the middle of the doors If I still have the problem ill let ya know. the fenders and decklid came out great. The funny thing is I have an old vw sittin next to it that has been settin out and is as nasty as any. I sprayed a few panels on that to set my gun and they are fine....go figure
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer1 View Post
Im going to spray the affected areas as you said and see what happens. Probably spray a square foot in the middle of the doors If I still have the problem ill let ya know. the fenders and decklid came out great. The funny thing is I have an old vw sittin next to it that has been settin out and is as nasty as any. I sprayed a few panels on that to set my gun and they are fine....go figure
I'm sure your going to be fine his time, just have that feeling...let me know.

Ray
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

sprayed the affected areas. So far so good
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Told ya...LOL...let it flash and I'm confident it's all good.

Ray
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

actually have 2 LITTLE spots about the size of a quarter but nothing like the other day, I am going to finish and call it good. I figure as small as they are ill just take a bit of paint on a brush and touch the holes before polishing. Something must have got on that ca at some point...
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your right and after the fact it's a guessing game as to what it was and not knowing what happened makes it almost impossible to rectify...That's why, often all we can do is minimize. I'm glad that things worked out better today, just had that feeling that they would. On a brighter note, I've very rarely had two in a row that gave me trouble like this...the next one is going to turn out great...and think of all the experience you gained.

Best to you My Friend.

Ray
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Coat 2 coming up
Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Coat 2 actually makes those areas look not bad all in all WAY better and certainly acceptable. 1 Small run, Walking away for a few hours and going to the fair. Will let you know how it looks when I return
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I'm in all probability as happy to hear about your success as you are to achieve it. Congratulations and let me know how the final inspection goes.

Here is a story that I'm sure many have heard before because I know I've told it often. Years ago I was assigned the task of interviewing people for a painter's position that recently came open. One candidate walked into the interview and started telling me how good a painter he was and proceeded to tell me how he had never gotten a run in paint...I told him that he then hadn't painted enough...shortest interview I ever was a part of...LOL.

Ray
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

I am quite happy with it. I have 2 small runs to deal with and 1 orange peel issue on the door about 2 in. wide and 8 in long and ever present dust nibs. The pleasures of shooting white. I still have the rear quarters to do but I know what I need to do. I think that I will start sanding with 1000 on the runs and orange peel spot on the door and 1500 elsewhere. If I end up with any pinholes in those contaminate areas I will break out the striping brush and touch the holes with a drop of catalyzed paint. Somebody else mentioned this somewhere in this thread. I believe in the future I will keep the car under visqueen from bare metal through paint. I have no idea what caused this. I am the only one that works down there. This was not quite the spray and drive paintjob I was hoping for, Im not quite there yet. Practice makes perfect or at least acceptable
Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The thing with painting is, no matter how good you are, no matter how much experience you have, there are so many variables that this type of thing can happen to anyone, even the seasoned pro. As a paint Rep I ran into all types of problems on a daily basis, painters just starting out and those that had been in the trade for a long time, they all had problems.

Someone once told me that painting is a lot like Golf, there's so much to remember. In Golf, if you don't keep your head down, follow through, chose the right club, concentrate and many more things, just one of those little things not part of the swing and the shot is missed. Just as in painting, watching what's happening, consistent overlap, concentration, the right equipment and as in golf even the weather and conditions can effect the outcome.

I'm so glad it's working out for you, and with the experience you've gotten by minimizing the possibility of problems, your also going to minimize the possibility of future situations like this.

I don't know if I mentioned this in this thread or not but, in all my years of painting, I've had 2 paint jobs that I looked at after they where done and was able to say that polishing wouldn't help this paint job at all. I didn't polish all the rest but, out of thousands of cars, only 2 that I could critique and where blemish free. So there is always room for improvement, just like golf, you never master the game.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.