BG quality control, or normal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

BG quality control, or normal?

Am I going nuts?
I just received two packs of straight squirter jets from Jegs for my Mighty Demon. I want to try dropping a size, so got some 28s (two packs because I wasn't sure if they were sold singly or in pairs).
Opened them - and they're all blank! Both pairs undrilled, and no sizes stamped on them. Why label the packaging with a jet size if they're blanks? Is this normal, or is it good 'ol BG quality control again? Two different packs?
Huh!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

I dunno dude

I dunno. I looked at the Summit site & all the squirter jets are shown as pairs and described as being sold as pairs.

Maybe they only send the defective squirters to the guys that don't know how many are in a set & who don't read the product description or look at the product picture?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289
Am I going nuts?
I just received two packs of straight squirter jets from Jegs for my Mighty Demon. I want to try dropping a size, so got some 28s (two packs because I wasn't sure if they were sold singly or in pairs).
Opened them - and they're all blank! Both pairs undrilled, and no sizes stamped on them. Why label the packaging with a jet size if they're blanks? Is this normal, or is it good 'ol BG quality control again? Two different packs?
Huh!
They did have huge quality control issues a while back. I thought they had fixed it, evidently not. I know Summit stopped carrying them due to the number of returns, this was according to the Summit rep I spoke with.

Chet
Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Those must be the high fuel economy jets LMAO!

Wonder how many guys installed them and tried them out before realizing this huge inspection mistake!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 AM

The problem is very easy to spot - once you've opened the blister pack, of course. Before you open it you can't tell.
Now I have to post a $9 part back to the US for a return exchange, which will cost considerably more than the part.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
The problem is very easy to spot - once you've opened the blister pack, of course. Before you open it you can't tell.
Now I have to post a $9 part back to the US for a return exchange, which will cost considerably more than the part.
You have a pm.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
They did have huge quality control issues a while back. I thought they had fixed it, evidently not. I know Summit stopped carrying them due to the number of returns, this was according to the Summit rep I spoke with.

Chet
Actually Barry chose to close Summits account and it was due to the fact that their returns were 10 times greater than the average of all of our othr 400 plus dealers including other large mail order ones. At one point we were bolting supposedly defective carburetors onto shop vehicles and they ran fine and had no problems.

In regard to the issue here what has happened was that there was a new person pulling and packaging parts. They pull from a bill of material and the old person knew that the bulk part number used had to go to our machine shop to be sized before packaging whereas the new one didn't. Once the problem was discovered the person was informed of this and procedure was changed to have this done prior so the machined part is in the bin to pull. Simple human error but it has been addressed and corrected.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Actually Barry chose to close Summits account and it was due to the fact that their returns were 10 times greater than the average of all of our othr 400 plus dealers including other large mail order ones. At one point we were bolting supposedly defective carburetors onto shop vehicles and they ran fine and had no problems.

In regard to the issue here what has happened was that there was a new person pulling and packaging parts. They pull from a bill of material and the old person knew that the bulk part number used had to go to our machine shop to be sized before packaging whereas the new one didn't. Once the problem was discovered the person was informed of this and procedure was changed to have this done prior so the machined part is in the bin to pull. Simple human error but it has been addressed and corrected.
Sorry for any missinformation I was just relaying what a Summit rep told me.
Chet
Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Customer support for the tards

Last photo:

I was wondering why Summit wasn't carrying BG carbs. Thats good to know...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I am surprised the tech did not offer to pay the return ship cost. BG stuff is over priced , over rated. There is a reason top race teams , engine builders stay away from bg carbs. Just an opinion. (look at past threads related to carbs and quality).
Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Customer support for the tards

Last photo:

Mighty Demon

Well I just purchased a 750 Mighty Demon for my camaro. I tried one that a fellow racer had and was pleased, although I only made a few passes. Hope I don't have any problems, if I do I'll pass it along here.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Am I going nuts?
Huh!
That BG is some operation, we keep seeing this kind of thing from this company time and time again. Think I am starting to see why Summit no longer is offering that line ............... interesting and we get some tech guy on here defending that operation ... is he paid for this ... does the sun rise every day???

Guess the demon name fits the product & company, I had some questions right up front when I saw that old barry had to do the install himself for old boyd on that new & improved tri-power .... Aw but that's just me I Am sure....
Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
I am surprised the tech did not offer to pay the return ship cost. BG stuff is over priced , over rated. There is a reason top race teams , engine builders stay away from bg carbs. Just an opinion. (look at past threads related to carbs and quality).
Really??? I guess when people speak without having all the facts its called assumption and we all know what that means. This particular customer was sent replacements at no charge and no, he did not have to return the old ones. We infact told him how to drill them so he could use them while the replacements were on their way.
In regards to your other statement there are plenty of engine builders and race teams who use our product and infact Volvo Penta has began to use our stuff as well. Look at the Engine Masters Challenge and you will see plenty of engine builders who have our stuff. Until the series was ended all of the IROC cars used our stuff exclusively as well. I could go on and on but that's not what we are here for.
We are here to help those with problems such as this . In this case we did take care of the problem as it was a legitimate issue but I don't see the other carburetor manufacturers on here trying to help.If anyone has an issue they can feel free to pm me and we will try to assist.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
That BG is some operation, we keep seeing this kind of thing from this company time and time again. Think I am starting to see why Summit no longer is offering that line ............... interesting and we get some tech guy on here defending that operation ... is he paid for this ... does the sun rise every day???

Guess the demon name fits the product & company, I had some questions right up front when I saw that old barry had to do the install himself for old boyd on that new & improved tri-power .... Aw but that's just me I Am sure....
And I can find just as many threads on any given day about problems with our competitors products as well. The big difference is that we try to be on all of the forums and help wherever possible where you won't see the others doing that.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I kinda just want to say thank you for being here and doing such a service. I wish more companies would follow this leader

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.