Big bar soft springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 11:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Big bar soft springs

Big bar soft springs, and I am not sure what right rear spring to go to. We are going to run a pair of 400's on the front with a 1 3/4 sway bar and the track is a 1/2 mile high bank

The question I have is what right rear spring.

400's across the front
185 Left Rear

Please help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

You give very little information, so I'm assuming a RWD with beam axle, in which case the ratio of rear spring rates has little effect on entry and little or no effect on exit.

During braking, a high rate right rear spring would tend to place the majority of the weight transfer on the right front, causing the car to push.

If the rear suspension geometry is close to 100% anti-squat, it will be difficult to notice any difference while accelerating. If there is a lot of squat and the right rear spring rate is increased, you might notice that the car is slightly looser.

I'd start with a symmetrical setup and go from there.

Incidentally, it's good to see a post from an oval racer here!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

BBSS Oval track madness "Big (sway) Bar Soft Spring"

New to the place myself, but noticed your circle track post.....I run a super late model and have just started using the BBSS setup. 1/2 mile medium bank track, 600hp, 2800, 58.0 ls, 10" tires, gold-trak rear, coilover......
250 rf
225 lf
335 rr (some dudes running 400+!!!)
175 lf
1 1/2" solid sway bar in front, no rear bar
56.5 cross

shocks....(!!!!important!!!!) lots of rebound in front....say 10/4 LF, 9/5 RF with low initial pressure. (Bilsteins for us)I started the whole situation with a 250lb RR and regular shock pressures (200+)

hope this helps....and by the way we are still running the same times we did 8 years ago on the same tracks.....but we couldn't make the same old setups from my notes work and have been forced to try the BBSS(???)
End of the day it was responsive, and I learned a lot from the changes. Next time out in late FEB, we intend to drop front rates 20-25lb so that car stays down longer at existing shock valving. Lastly, there is some BUMP stop technology that some of the teams are using........car falls on bump stops and is go-kart until you slow down and the shocks let it back up. Nascar outlawed this setup in superspeedway cup right after restrictor plate first started. (remember seeing the cars bouncing on the straights at Dega and daytona?)

Lastly....are you running against soaked tires? Are you sure? You'll never tune your car good enough to win if you are. Voice of experience says we cut up a good car, made it better and were still getting beat by 3-5 tenths and thought we couldn't make our car handle.......got wise, soak tires, beat the others by 2 tenths.

setups are like "stinkholes", everyone has one and says theirs is better.

sign
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

Same times as 8 years ago? what changed? tyre rule? track surface? are you running radials now?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

No changes to speak of....

There are no substantive changes to the rules. Engines are a tad different but we are making the same HP. The tires are the same. Some of the tracks are different because of age. I guess the "technology" of the setup is actually more efficient. The are some places the new setups don't work as well, such as Nashville and Winchester (I'm told). Who knows. We are going to try it first, but have all our mount point so that we can change our roll centers back to conventional setups.

Phil
Old 01-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Ian, check my Project Journal for The Traction Dyno comments.

(And thanks for the "happy birthday." I had 3 emails wishing me the same this morning, but they were all from forum moderators and none from my children or grandchildren.)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.