big block 366? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2003, 01:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

big block 366?

i have a 366 truck motor i'm putting in my 66 truck but i don't want just low end power but i understand it won't be an all out powerhouse can i stick a different crank and or rods when i rebuild it with some high dome pistins, cam, ignition system on it and get power out of it?
I don't know what crank is in it or rods or should i scrap the block is it even worth m

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2003, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

the truck rods are super strong, the crank should stand up to about 550 horses. but the block has got to go, its tall deck and small bore.. i would find a 427 tall deck block and a stroker crank but it all depends on what ammount of power you are looking to make, and how much money you want to spend.. a 572 cui crate motor will deliver LOADS of power and cost an arm and a leg, and a stock rebuild from PAW would be super cheap and make you arround 200 horses, so i guess the answer to this question, is like to so many others.... it depends.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:21 AM

Last photo:

When we get a 366 engine in we keep the crank,rods and the main caps. the rest is cast iron scrap. As far as I know there are no hi-perf pistons available for the 366, small bore and tall deck= no goodies. The crank is forged steel, same crank as 396-427 but balanced differently, the rods are usually the heavier duty 3/8 bolt rods, with a bolt change and a recon they are good for many horses, the main caps are kept around to install on two bolt blocks or to salvage bad four bolts.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

i would propably find a used bare marine 502 block and install the crank and rods in it yieding a high winding 452 cui add a set of pro topline heads, they cost 1600 bucks with all hardware and outflows almost everything, install a 290 degree hydraulic roller (which the block is set up for) and you should be makeing 600 horses easy

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.