big block in 81 camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003, 07:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question big block in 81 camaro

hey guys this is a first for me please bare withme found a good deal on a 1969 427-435 how do you think it will do in a 1981 camaro this car been with me a long time just like to beef it up a little thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up

Just remember that with the extra weight your gonna need better springs, upgraded cooling,new headers, all sorts of brackets to keep your power steering and your alternator attached, oh and last but not least when you finally shoehorn it in there close the hood slowly so your high rise doesnt put the air cleaner stud into your hood!
Truthfully I would invest in a 125 shot and maybe a better converter with a small block already installed in my camaro, and you can send me the big block as a great deal......lol....
Old 09-15-2003, 07:56 PM

I"m afraid I"m going to have to disagree with instr396. 81 is a second gen camaro should be a breaze to do that swap. The easiest way is to get a complete big block with the brakets and power stearing pumps exc. It is true you will probably need a bigger rad and a good showd and you'll be laughing. There way also be a bit of interferance with the brake boaster and the valve covers if you are running tall ones but other wize it should be fine. The small block engine mounts will work too but you can get big block ones from lots of companies to. Besides this the only other thing that will need to be altered is the exhaust system. Oh and some times you might have to flip the heater core cause its pretty tight beside the valve cover all in all though its a pretty easy swap

Oh and as for the hoot clearance problem you will be fine as long as you run just a low rise intake and a drop base air cleaner
Old 09-15-2003, 08:54 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You will have to upgrade the chassis for the extra weight.
This site has 4 wheel disc brake setups, springs for the front. I bought the performance plus system for my Vette from them and the quality is very good.
Good luck,
http://www.vettebrakes.com/
Old 09-15-2003, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

It will drop right in.It may not clear your stock hood depending on what air cleaner you have and what motor mounts you use.If you need cheap headers,you can use the hooker headers that fit the 70 thru 72 camaro bigblock,but you need to use pre 1973 GM motor mounts since the hooker headers will hit the stock later style clamshell mounts like you have on your Z.If you want to better your chances of getting the engine to fit under a stock hood,call a good resto supply house and see if they can supply you with the engine stands{the part of the motor mount that bolts to the frame} from a pre 73 factory bigblock camaro.
I agree that tall valve covers will hit the brake booster,but stock or low rise covers will fit,since the bigblock was only availabe in camaros with power brakes.The heater hose location may be an issue,but it may not sicne factory air walso worked in the 2nd gen camaros with bigblocks.Your Z may already have a larger then standard 3/8" fuel line and pickup,which should supply a stock bigblock,but if you have the wimpy base model 5/16" line you need to upgrade.The front springs will be marginal.If you want to know how it will sit,get one of your 200# buddies to sit on the hood,and see if looks right to you.Bigblock springs are available by requesting stock replacement for a 1970 model with a 396 engine and air conditioning,but these springs may need to be cut down.If you plan on running headers and the factory aluminum intake on your motor and you plan on ditching the factory air conditioning system,you might want to try the stock springs first since the weight of the bare bones bigblock wont be that much more then a factory iron intake and exhaust manifold smallblock with all the air conditiong and smog gear intact.It reasons to say that such a swap does not conform to any legal guidelines.Good luck.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:14 PM

dont forget about the ac box you may have to remove it and cover it with a plate
Old 10-21-2003, 11:05 PM

1981 Camaro 502 Ram Jet

hey everyone alright iam 19 my first car was this 1981 blood red camaro. It has been abused so thats why iam modifying the whole car and I just bought me a 1974 Type Lt/Z28 Rare non decal car. Its in all original shape the car only has 75000 miles on the stock 350 and its beitiful looks brand new except for the back seat has heat cracking but iam going to get that fixed but this 81. Is a totally different story i bought when i was 16 for 750 bucks i thought a couple thousand bucks in to the car have a decent looking ride. One problem after a month of having it the engine started to smoke. I also did reserch back to the first owners and the reason they got rid of it was it got stolen and wrecked. They tryed to repar it with old berrlinta fenders and stuff that they had from there other camaros. The car is a z28 just a berrrinta clone which sucks. So iam going to be bringing it back. Then after about having it for a year some girl ran into me and ripped the front bumper so i gotta replace that now. Right now its the engine it runs rough for a 350 and smokes. So iam going to be ordering a 502 ram jet in a couple months ill have the money saved up. I know iam going to have to modify pretty much everything. Cut a hole in the hood for the ram jet to stick out. But i need to find some headers anybody know of any good headers that will fit on the car with the 502. Ive been serching and i cant seem to find any that looks like they would fit. After iam done with the engine iam saveing up for the interior which is all red inside except the dash . red out and in. I may change that to grey with black racing style stypes i saw a older car with that and it looked quite awsome. I dont know. The whole car needs whole off frame restoration actully but probably not going to happen. Well peace out bye mike

Hey well i did not relize it took me here i just registered but your engine should work just fine just up the suspenson and that sort of thing if not you might find flat tires well peace

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.