Hot Rod Forum banner

Big Block chevy cam help

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  deuce_454 
#1 ·
I need help choosing the right cam for my big block, the motor is a 512' block with steel 454 crank and L-88 rods, comp is arround 11:1 and heads are old style oval ports Int2.19 Exh 1.88. engine displaces 468 cui.

The car is a 32 roadster weighing in at 2650 lbs. tranny is a bullitproof 700 r4 with 3000 stall and rear is 3.50.

What cam do i need, i have a 292H comp magnum cam (I/E 244@.050 ls 110) but i need more power.

i am considering a solid roller cam at 262/272@.050 .690lisf with lobe sep of 114. is this way off

some one told that the key to makeing power with a bigblock is a large roller cam, and wiiide lobe seperation.

intake is a torker 2-o single plane and carb is modified 850DP.

i want to go low 11's and no spray.. will the cam do the job or do i also need better heads?

#2 ·
Port the heads or get some aftermarket aluminum heads to lose some weight and stick with your roller cam decision, it's a good one. Better get some slicks-big ones!

#3 ·
BB Chevy's biggest down fall is the rod ratio, thus the reason for having to RPM the snot out of them to make power. You can fix this by installing .250 longer rods ( a little to late now) or by switching to a cam profile with a short lobe center ( 106 degrees ) which make the engine to want to acelerate quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.