big block chevy valve adjustment trouble,no compression - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 06:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

big block chevy valve adjustment trouble,no compression

i just put new headgaskets and vakve job on a 366 big block truck motor.i adjusted the valves with engine off.i made sure they were on the base circle then sping the pushrod until it drags then tighten 1\2 turn.when i set them this way it holds the valves open and i have no compression.if i loosen them up it starts right up but the rockers are clicking .when i shut the motor off the rockers are way too loose.i dont know what else to do.anybody have any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2003, 06:51 PM

Is there any chance you have solid lifters in that motor?? I'm not familiar with the 366.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:56 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Here is a site,
How to Set Valves the Easy Way
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...lve/index.html

Its good to put down what type of cam and lifters.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:03 PM

its just a stock cam and hydraulic lifters .the 366 is just a truck version of a big block chevy.i adjusted the valves exactly like they said to do it on that link and i have no compression.if i loosen them up to where they tic alot it will run.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:07 PM

You really have to crank the lifter pre-load to have no compression at all. If you put your weight on the end of the pushrod, does it compress at all??
Old 09-27-2003, 07:10 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

did you let it run long enough to pump the lifter's up? they should quiet down after running for awhile, I think your going to tight on the adjustment..What exactly do you mean no compression? are you using a compression tester?
Old 09-27-2003, 07:21 PM

well i just did the turn the nut until i can barely spin the pushrod then turn 1\2 turn more.this is with a warm engine.it will start with them looser than this .do you think i should let it run longer.i can tell i have no compression and its holding the valves open because the engine spins freely no drag at all from compression.

when i loosen them up enough for it to start and run when i shut it off i can remove the valve cover and wobble the rocker arm back and forth on most of them
Old 09-27-2003, 07:58 PM

Ok.... when you set the pre-load, you will spin the pushrod with your finger tips, and at the point where you can just barely feel the slightest drag, this is zero lash. Turn the lock nut 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn after this. Make sure that you're on the base circle of each lobe by watching the paired lifter. For example, when setting the intake of cyl #1, turn the engine until the exhaust lifter is just starting to move, then set the intake, etc... Make sure also that your socket is not binding in the rocker body when you're doing this.

And yes, you will be able to rock the rockers from side to side with the correct lifter pre-load.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've seen it before, exact same senero, new cam, new lifters, but won't run. Last one ended up having solid lifters in it, parts store made a mistake and handed the guy solids instead of hydraulics. If you can look down the pushrod hole in the head and see the top of the lifter and DON"T see a snap ring inside the top of the lifter, you got problems.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:42 PM

yeah maybe i am getting them too tight i didnt think the rockers would move at all when the lash was right.i did the spin the pushrod until drag and then add 1\2 turn on nut on the exhaust valves but the intakes are so short and high on the big block i couldnt get my fingers in there too good and the were hot so i was rocking them.this isnt a new cam its the one that was in there but this motor hasnt been ran in about 2 years.i just removed the heads for a valve job.the lifters are hydraulic for sure.is there anyway i can get them close while the engine is cold.thanx so much for your help guys.

heres is the procedure i used to adjust

http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.asp

i think the rocker arm wobble was throwing me off i think ill try adjusting the valves in the link you guys posted here in the morning.do you think it will be far off if i do it cold.

Last edited by dufrain; 09-27-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:45 PM

You can do it this way cold too. Did you prime the lifters?? You would have submerged them in oil in a suitable container on your bench, and used a push rod to pump them until they are hard. They will pump up when the engine starts, but they make a heck of a racket for a good 10 secs or so.
Not to bum you out.... but I have seen lifters permanently damaged after doing what you've just done. sorry.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Adjust them cold to zero, start it and try a 1/4 turn or where it will run.

After setting for that long the lifters could be collapsed. I`ve had this happen before.

Good Luck
Troy

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.