Big Block Crate Motor Gone Bad!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM
MAKE IT YOUR OWN WAY

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Big Block Crate Motor Gone Bad!!!

Just Bought Another Project Car With What Was Said To Be A 454 Bbc Crate Motor That Was Never Ran. Well, After Pulling The New Intake Manifold I Noticed Water In Two Of The Jornals. After Pulling The Rebuilt Heads I Found Water And Erosion In 2 Of The Freshley Honed Cilinder Walls. Now That The Motor Is Out And I Removed The New Bottom End. I Noticed That It Is Not A Crate Motor But An Old Race Blower Motor That Has At One Time Come Apart Under A Heavy Load. So Now Its Decision Time. Do I Sell Off These Brand New .060 Over Pistons, Bore The Block And And Get New Pistons Or Get A New Used Block And Bore It To Match What Ive Got.... Right Now Im Undecided. So What Do You Think.

Advertisement

Last edited by jayistcb; 04-22-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayistcb
Just Bought Another Project Car With What Was Said To Be A 454 Bbc Crate Motor That Was Never Ran. Well, After Pulling The New Intake Manifold I Noticed Water In Two Of The Intake Jornals. After Pulling The Rebuild Heads I Found Water And Erosion In 2 Of The Freshley Honed Cilinder Walls. Now That The Motor Is Out And I Removed The New Bottom End I Noticed That It Is Not A Crate Motor But An Old Race Blower Motor That Has At One Time Come Apart Under A Heavy Load. So Now Its Decision Time. Do I Sell Off These Brand New .060 Over Pistons, Bore The Block And And Get New Pistons Or Get A New Used Block And Bore It To Match What Ive Got.... Right Now Im Undecided. So What Do You Think.
Why do you think its a blower motor that came apart under a heavy load?

What about the bottom end- is it new?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
MAKE IT YOUR OWN WAY

Last photo:

there is nothing on the block that originaly came with it from the factory.(heads, cam, crank, pistons, intake, pan, ect.). all the bolt on parts are brand new or rebuilt.

the cylinders are .060 over (been rebuilt).

between the head and the block. there are compression rings around each cylinder on the block (usually done for high compression blower motors).

bottom of the cilinder #7 and 8 is busted up from a broken rod or ??? looks like someone busted out the bottom of the cylinder walls with a ball ping hammer (came apart under heavy load/ high RPM).
Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
there is nothing on the block that originaly came with it from the factory.(heads, cam, crank, pistons, intake, pan, ect.). all the bolt on parts are brand new or rebuilt.

the cylinders are .060 over (been rebuilt).

between the head and the block. there are compression rings around each cylinder on the block (usually done for high compression blower motors).

bottom of the cilinder #7 and 8 is busted up from a broken rod or ??? looks like someone busted out the bottom of the cylinder walls with a ball ping hammer (came apart under heavy load/ high RPM).
Can you show a photo of the bottoms of the cylinders that have been hit and the other damage?

Is this a 2- or 4-bolt block? Compared to a good cylinder, how much is missing on the "bad" holes at the bottom? What's the other bore damage like (you mentioned "erosion"?

In any event, it sounds like finding a new home for all the parts might be the safest thing, although you could possibly sleeve the bad holes if need be.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
MAKE IT YOUR OWN WAY

Last photo:

not sure how to post pics.

4-BOLT BLOCK

BOTTOM OF CYLINDER #7 HAS THREE 1/4"H BY 1"W CHIPS
BOTTOM OF CYLINDER #8 HAS ONE 1/4"H BY 1/2"W CHIP.
(NOT BAD ENOUGH TO TOSS THE BLOCK, STILL USEABLE)

FROM THE TOP OF THE CYLINDER ABOUT 1.5 DOWN IN CYLINDER #6 AND #7 HAVE PITS FROM STANDING WATER.
ROUGHLY .003 TO .007
(I CAN PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND RUN IT THIS WAY BUT IM ASKING FOR TROUBLE LATER DOWN THE LINE)
PLUS ITS ALREADY OUT.

Last edited by jayistcb; 04-23-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
not sure how to post pics.

Go to a free pic hosting site like photobucket and upload your pics there and then copy the link they give you for forums and paste it in just like its regular text.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
MAKE IT YOUR OWN WAY

Last photo:

here are some pics. hope this works.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
More for Less Racer

Wow, sorry for your bad luck, whoever put that mess together knew what they were getting rid of, that's for sure. If block is crack free almost all 427/454 blocks can go clear to .100" oversize without a problem, might be the way to go as this block has 4-bolt caps but you will have to make that choice.

You might just be better off adding the 4-bolt caps off this block to a different block bored to match the pistons you have, especially if the .060" pistons you have are forged and in good shape.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
MAKE IT YOUR OWN WAY

Last photo:

the pistons look "right out of the box" except a lil discoloration from the water. but still no wear, hell the cylinder walls still have the cross hone marks because the rings where never seated.
looks like im going to try and save the block. maybe i can do a light hone job and file-gap some new rings. OTHER WISE, NEW PISTONS

The guy i got it from said that he bought it from a rod and custon shop as a crate motor.

I SHOULD HAVE PULLED THE INTAKE

LESSON LEARNED, THIS TURD WAS SHINNY. BUT STILL A TURD.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 PM

How did the seller advertise this car and motor? He said it was a new crate motor?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 PM
MAKE IT YOUR OWN WAY

Last photo:

Yes, And That It Has Been Sitting For About 3 Years. (no Money To Finish Project). "that Would Explane The Dust", I Think I Should Have Named This Post "how To Give Money Away".
Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

Ouch! Sorry for your bad luck. It's nice that you posted this as to school people on the dangers of buying modified vehicles/engines. Good lesson for all! I got lucky on my buy... I bought a car 8 years ago on jack stands with the trans cracked on the floor, bell housing shattered drive shaft missing and no idea if the motor ran. All worked out, motor was good... for awhile, found a good used drive shaft, got a new case for the trans and a new bell housing and all was good. LUCKY!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.