Hot Rod Forum banner

Big Block Head choice 781s or .......

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mark2002 
#1 ·
Gents, I'm about ready to choose heads for my big block project. They will be going on a 69 Chevelle agressive street machine trying to hit 500hp range. I bought a set of heads 14092360s that according to Mortec are late 80s oval port truck heads. They have been prorted and polished with 2.19 1.88 valves and new springs. I got them for $500. Basically, they are ready to bolt on.
My other choice is a set of early 70s oval port heads 336781s that are still bone stock and came with the block I bought.

What are your opinions on opening up the 781's and selling the others., or using the later 360 truck heads that have been modified already. Are these the peanut port heads I hear about?

I have a guy interested in the 360s, and I don't know if I should part with them ort not.

Thanks

#5 ·
oh sorry...I was wrong, your casting sucks. sell them to me. :D

Ok here's what the book says:

Heads

are all hot castings.

These castings were originally equipped with 2.06" intake and 1.72" exhaust valves. FOr high performance use, these heads are routinely fitted with 2.19" intake and 1.88" exhaust valves.
The little...very little information about the heads was about the most useful information in this POS book I got. It goes on to talk about rectangular port heads...and says that for anything less than full-tilt racing they suck and do not flow as well at lower RPMs as the above listed heads.

HTH bro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.