Hot Rod Forum banner

Big block for my Camaro

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Mrboykin0 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im Trying to Find a big block for my 1980 z28 camaro

Street Only
500hp (minimum)

my budget is $3500 But that already makes me cringe, id like to save as much as possible

*I dont want an SBC, so dont suggest any to me :D *

At first I was going to buy one from one from ***** on ebay who "had" the 496cid 515hp for $3200 But then I started finding some bad reviews, I spoke to the guy on the phone and he already seems like the biggest ***...

SO I have no experience in "building" an high performance engine.

I was looking at this block as a decent starting point?
GM 454/7.4 ENGINE REBUILDABLE SHORT BLOCK 4 BOLT 1991 & UP #14861/14974/15133 | eBay

Overall I dont know where to start, I could really use a nudge, no a strong shove in the right direction. Im 21 and have a lot to learn

So my question is -
can i Build a bbc with my budget and get what i want out of it?
or do I purchase a crate for a little more cash?
- ( not made of money!)
and what places/websites would you veterans recommend?

*I dont want an SBC, so please dont suggest any to me :sweat:*

See less See more
#3 ·
big block 454

Here is a crate engine ready to drop in your Camaro. It will give you an idea of prices of big blocks. BBC CHEVY 454 468 CUBIC INCH 500+HP CHEVY CRATE ENGINE 585FTLBS TURN KEY 7.4L | eBay If you were to build one: block prep $500-$600, rotating assembly $1200-$1950. Higher end kits are forged components. Hyd Roller camshaft kit $900-$1000. A set of AFR aluminum heads $1900. Gasket kit ??? Intake $290, Holley Carb $542. Plus all bracket, pulleys belts, etc. I think you would exceed the price of a crate engine.

#4 ·
7,000 for an engine?!

If I could afford that much I probably wouldnt be here!!

Is it really this difficult to build a 500hp BBC around $3500?

I dont know anything about Porting heads either...
and do i have to buy heads new?

Did you guys see the link i posed to that 4 bolt main block? is that a decent price?

#6 ·
read this artical from super chevy, budget build 454.. Building a 700 Horsepower 454 On a Budget - Super Chevy Magazine
now, what needs to be consisderd as not everyone can find a block for under $100 specialy bbc, but the more reserach you can do, and dont go over board with parts that are really not nessary meaning use a cast crank instead of forged, recondition stock rods instead of buying new if rods and stock crankshaft is good to use. go iron head 049 0r 781 casting are the better oem heads, or what what they used in this build if you like, just take the time to educate yourself a bit, it will save you, you can build a bbc for your budget..

#7 ·
700hp thats ridiculous, but for $2500 isnt realistc, i mean they have all parts and tools to do it!
but i guess thats not the point, point is it can be done if you have the knowledge...

I just wish i had some guidelines, everyone tells me to read up and do research ect, but you can only comprehend so much alone.

Im willing to be patient and learn what ever i need to learn, I cant afford to be impatient Literally!

#11 ·
454 build

I looked at the ad for the short block on Ebay. I would call them and ask them if after tearing it down and the crank or rods are not usable if it can be returned. How much time for warranty? It says sold in as is condition. How much more for freight shipping? Don't you have any recyclers local that will give you a better deal? I would prefer a 70-80s Gen IV model with the last three digits of head casting # 781s or 049.

#13 ·
Roller cams are great. No dedicated break in required. No risk or wiping cam lobes or lifters. No special oil or additives required at every oil change. Less parasitic power loss=more power. Less engine wear. You can re-use old lifters without wiping cam lobes. More MPG. They last longer than flat tappet. Roller cams are an all around winner.

You can get a retro roller cam and lifter for a non roller block, but the cost of the cam and lifters and other parts is astronomical, so either use flat tappet and deal with the drawbacks or hold out of a roller block. Despite the drawbacks, a lot of people still run flat tappets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.