Big Block piston gas ports, expert help needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2002, 06:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Big Block piston gas ports, expert help needed

Ok i have decided to put new heads on my 454, the heads on the car are now 1970 "mid-chamber(113cc)" ovalport heads. The heads that ive decided on are AFR 315 cnc. (i have to change to rect. ports as my enderle stack manifold is rect. port) now i can either angle mill the AFR heads to get the chamber volume relatively close tio the 113ccs of the GM heads. or i can up and buy a set of new pistons.

in any event i will have to remove the pistons on the brock (either for flycutting to the new valveangle, or for replacement)when they are out anyway i was considdering going with low tension rings and now for the question: should i have the pistons drilled for gasports,

gasports are the 8 or 10 small holes in the perifery of pro stock pistons to vent combustionchamber pressure into the top ring groove behind the ring to help the low tension ring seal better. Is it a race only deal that just increasas wear to an extent that street driveing just ruins the bores??? or is it the best thing after sliced bread??

compression is 11:1 and horsepower is projected at 650, so cylinder pressure should be considderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Unless this is a track only vehicle forget the gas ports, street cars don't need them and they don't need low tension rings either. Stick to the basics and forget the race only mods, your goal should be durability since your going to be making enough ponies already.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

4-jaw is correct all the trick race parts will do on the street is burn oil, and the drilled ports will fill up with carbon .
Old 12-14-2002, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

I agree that gas ports are not needed,even on most race engines.Only when you uses extremely this rings with very low tension will you need the added pressure that gas ports offer/Here is another bit of info you might not know.Many racers have run rectangualr port manifolds of oval port heads with great results for many years.I thought this was way out of whack myself,but I have come to find that it is somewhat common,and have found it on some really good running bracket motor,even maing upwards of 650 horsepower.9 out of 10 of these mismatches involved large oval port heads being run with a 454R edelbrock intake on 468's that ran powerglides in somewhat heavy bracket camaros and novas{3200 to 3400#}.It tried it the other way with a Team G oval port on a set of rectangualr heads and I gained 60 foot but loost mph,and the top end loss was greater then the low end gain so I lost overall.If you dont already own the heads,I would look further into this setup.Good luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.