Big Block Pontiac Performace - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 07:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Big Block Pontiac Performace

Iam bilding a 37 pontiac and i wont a big block with a blower. But i dont know anything about pontiac. so some sugestions on what engine i sould find and what i should do to it. thanks for any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 07:46 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

All Pontiacs from the 326 up to the 455 use, essentially, the same block. They are all "big blocks". I would look for a 455. Cubic inches are king and this will do it for you.
Here is an article Car Craft did on a junkyard 455. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0306_pont/
Look it over and ring back with any questions. Lots of Pontiac guys here...

Mark
Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 PM

As far as building a Pontiac for a blower motor go with a 455 with large chamber heads such as 4Xor 6X to keep compression down. Use good rod bolts as stock Pontiacs have a tendency to stretch, I recommend ARP for rod bolts. Also if you feel the need for better rods either 421SD or 455SD rods are the best that Pontiac made but stock cast rods will work. Use forged pistons and good rings and use a half groove main bearing as Pontiacs have tendency to have alot of force on the downstroke and will form a ridge on the crank over a period of time. Use stainless steel valves and have a reputable shop port and polish the heads and use good springs and roller rockers. As far as cams I'm not sure what to recommend on that one but check with some of better known builders that specialize in Pontiacs for what type of cam to use as far as cylinder pressure is concerned along with how much boost you may want to use along with whether to overdrive or underdrive your set up.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

These guys can help with your supercharger on pontiac motor.
www.sd-concepts.com
Old 03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

thanks astro for that cool link on a 455 hop up which would be about the same as a 400. i didnt see anything at the blower site for pontiacs. it would be expensive as hell tho. the main problem with pontiacs is the heads totally suck for the most part. a 326 is about the same as the 455 except the e heads dont fit. a friend put an edel intake and thorley headers on his 326 and didnt notice much of anything. like about. but we cant go out and get heads. there are some good poncho heads out there so you have to be carefull when you buy the engine or plan on buying them later. i've also seen a post where someone makes a crank to stroke the 400 to 462 and am trying to find the mfg.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:45 PM

Here's a link to a place that sells pontiac stroker kits . This one doesn't seem to steep. But they have an assembly to go from 487 - 501 CI.

And as for supercharging a pontiac, it doesn't seem to bad. I found a manifold for somewhere that was $500, not much more then a chevy. From there, the cost would be the same for anyother blower.

I'd like to see how a stock pontiac head with some light port work would handle boost. I think you coulld make big torque with a roots blower. I haven't done to much research yet as I am getting my T/A in a few days.

Sorry for bringin such an old post back up.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

From your question, you don't really say you want to run Pontiac power. While Pontiac engines are just fine, they do cost a bit more to build compared to the Chevy Big Blocks.

I also guess from you wanting a blown big block your going to be spending some big dollars either way. Its really your choice, there are more after market parts for the Chevy's, so they are a bit cheaper to build.

Build what you want, but please keep it GM!

bonuts
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

are the pontiac and oldsmobile 455's the same?

Gary
Old 10-10-2004, 10:02 AM

Big Block Pontiac

If you want to run a 455 Pontiac engine look for the YH engine if you can find one. Casting # is 9799140. You will find the YH code on the front of the block below the pass. cylinder head. The YH is a factory 370 HP engine. You will find it in a few 70 Pontiacs like the Bonneville or Catalinas. I built one back pretty much stock just some stronger rods and the only thing that was changed above stock was using the Lunati Pontiac Ram Air IV cam. That was paired with a Edelbrock intake and a HEI ignition conversion. The Ram Air IV cam picks up the bottom end and has a nice "chop" to it without bouncing all over the place and has no problem going into gear without a stall convertor. The rebuild with machine work was around $2,500. That's not a bad price for complete machine work and having everything replaced and upgraded. Linked to a Turbo 400 Transmission it will push you thru the drivers seat on acceleration. But it's a dependable, streetable engine. So without spending a fortune to make horsepower you can have it the way it used to be straight from the factory.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Primer
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by gahi
are the pontiac and oldsmobile 455's the same?

Gary
Buick, Pontiac, and Olds were all different. The Buick had the distributer in the front, so easy to pick out. The Olds had a metal oil fill tube sticking up in the front of the engine. The bell housing bolt patterns are the same.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

69 LeMans

With a built 400 that runs STRONG all day long!! The engine is punched .060 over and the power is unbeliveable!! Probably a sin...or close to it!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up 400 or 455?

If you can find a 455 that's great although they are kinda scarce.

e.g. took a whimpy 326:
I put Lunati cam, edelbrock performer RPM, and 2.25' duals on hedman headers and I can bend my '66 tempest out of a straight line when I hit it at 60.

Not so whimpy 400:
I am now building a '67 400 (yes, out of a catalina) with #143 10.5:1 heads (if you can find these heads, grab them, they have bigger chambers and valves). 75cc chambers. 1.92 intake valves! that you could punch out the edelbrock spec of 2.11 if you want to. (probably will)

point: (and I have one,) that you can do a lot with the heads to increase power. 4x and 6x are nice, but the ultra rare stock heads could be---- almost as good as the alum eddy's for a lot less. Do your porting/polishing get 1.65 roller rockers, oversize the valves and I promise you can build a 400 hundred that will require regular dental work!

tempt
Old 10-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

What are you talking about..a 400 is NOT whimpy at all. Lets go to the track guy and you put your money where your mouth is!! Wanta run...well do ya??? My Lemans agains your tempest...heads up........LOL Gotta love this hobby!!!

tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Gung Ho Tazz,

read my post again, the 400 is a great block with great potential.
425-475 h easy. Your Lemans sounds mean. Power to the Ponchos! Sorry if I offended, I meant no disrespect.

Last edited by tempt; 10-23-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

hey tempt. are your 326 heads 4bbl heads or 2bbl? what are your cam specs anyway? do you think it would be hard to impossible to get 326 4bbl heads? thx

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.