big block or small block chevy - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I don't know about that, I'd put money on a 406 before I'd put money on a 396 built similarly. Just because the block is bigger doesn't make the car faster, thats just silly. Sure, a stock set of bigblock heads are nicer than the stock smallblock heads, but if you're goign to put the money into the motor anyway, the smallblock is the way to go, way more bang for your buck. Weight transfer is also better with the 406. Make no mistake, if you want aftermarket parts, you'll make more power for fewer dollars with the 406.

I don't understand why people keep preaching "yeah but bigblocks make more torque! it comes on like instantly!" No, they don't. The only reason it seems like they do is because they have more cubes. If you compair a 350 SBC to a 454, sure, you're goign to notice big torque with the 454. Cubes = Torque. Will you notice that between the 406 and the 396? Maybe. You might notice the 406 has better low end (more due to the better port design than the 10 cubes).

That said, if I had a 396 I'd see who was willing to take it off my hands, and for how much. If I couldn't get a really sweet deal that would put me into a nice built smallblock with more power and some extra cash, I woudl keep it. None of what I've said above says that the 396 isn't a good motor. I think they're very good motors, but technology dates them quite a bit these days. If you have one and can't get a good deal for it, run it and be happy!

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 03:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

go big every other guy has a small block dont be the norm.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

thats because most guys see the value of having a smallblock. For me, i want the most bang i can get for my small amount of bucks. Bigblocks promote poor handling too. If you're into spending money just so other people can think what you've got is cool, whatever, but I build my cars for me.

K
Old 03-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone
I was off on a couple of specs, but over all I was pretty close. Here are the specs on that 468

781 heads some bowl work flow 290 on intake 2.19 1.88 valves
9.5:1 tested compression
comp hyd roller 242 248 @.050 and just under .600 lift it was a custom grind and he didnt remember the other specs
victor jr intake port matched W/ 850 demon

This motor made 566 hp @ 6100 RPM 560 tq on pump gas
If you are looking for a cam like this, I would recommend the comp XR294HR(242 248 @.050 .540 .562 lift 110 lsa 2800-6100 RPM) With a set of high ratio rockers, this would be very close to his cam.

Adam
You will not get the same power out of a 406 SB compared to a 396, or say a 402 BBC to make it more similar. The head design is superior on a BBC. It is a no brainer, keep the 396. Nothing is nicer to see under that hood than those big valve covers. Major buzz kill looking at a small block, at least for me. As SuperStreeter said, all the above came for around $3500. See if you can get an SBC to make that kind of power for that kind of change.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

yes, BBC's look cooler. In aftermarket you're not going to make more power with a 402 than a 406. You'll lose, every time. With my 406, I've got less weight and my aftermarket heads will breathe just as well. In fact, there have been quite a few complaints from the performance community about stock BBC heads. Big ports don't = big power and good drivability. a 300cc port is going to be a dog on the street in a mild motor, I don't care if you do have 402 or even 454 cubes you're going to lose at the line-

K
Old 03-17-2005, 08:23 PM
mini me

Last photo:

sbb is good for strip & make good hp but are more expensive I never said "get rid of it" now if it was a ford thats a different story, I'm more of a sbc man myself
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 PM
mini me

Last photo:

that was for "wildman" by the way
Old 03-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
yes, BBC's look cooler. In aftermarket you're not going to make more power with a 402 than a 406. You'll lose, every time. With my 406, I've got less weight and my aftermarket heads will breathe just as well. In fact, there have been quite a few complaints from the performance community about stock BBC heads. Big ports don't = big power and good drivability. a 300cc port is going to be a dog on the street in a mild motor, I don't care if you do have 402 or even 454 cubes you're going to lose at the line-

K
Well, if you are talking AFTERMARKET, then you know the BBC will ALWAYS win. But, he has a 396 already, and the example given of $3500 for the 566/560 on pump gas with stock parts can not be achieved with a small block on stock parts. That is a no brainer. That is how this thread started.

If you know how to build an engine, you CAN run 300+cc ports on a street/strip engine. Not that hard, if you know what you are doing.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926
Well, if you are talking AFTERMARKET, then you know the BBC will ALWAYS win. But, he has a 396 already, and the example given of $3500 for the 566/560 on pump gas with stock parts can not be achieved with a small block on stock parts. That is a no brainer. That is how this thread started.

If you know how to build an engine, you CAN run 300+cc ports on a street/strip engine. Not that hard, if you know what you are doing.
you'll go nowhere with the 300 cc ports man, not on any motor

Oh and btw, yeah I think you're right, I'd probably keep the 396 too in most cases, but not if somebody was willing to give me a pretty penny for it!

K

Last edited by killerformula; 03-17-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:19 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I would have to say that with aftermarket parts, the big block would be the superior motor for the money. If you compare a small block 472 to a big block 632, the big block is going to walk all over it, and really not cost too much more relative to the cost of the motors. What is another $2000 when you are already spending $12000-$15000 on a motor if one is going to make way more hp.

Adam
Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I read in one of my Super chevy mags. They did a big block vs. small block test. They actually changed the engines out into the same car, a 70 Nova Each engine had similar components the small block was stroked out to 427 and the big block was a 502.The big block was cheaper to build by almost 500.00 and was nearly a second faster in the 1/4. Im a small block man I can barely afford to build a 383. But this is what I read!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

I read the same article. Interesting, but predictable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newone2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	4274  
Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

bigger is better

i said it before and ill say it again

to quote my boyzz ZZ TOP " been around the block a time or two i found out only the best will do"

NOTHING REPLACES DISPLACEMENT
GOOD LUCK
slowride66 (take it easy)

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926
I read the same article. Interesting, but predictable.
mmmm good point. Big block looks...

COOOL.

K
Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobig
go big every other guy has a small block dont be the norm.

What is the deal with peopl that they feel they have to be different than everyone else to be cool? Who cares? Go with what makes sense. If you want a lighter weight engine build a 400. If you want more power build a big block.

396s are worthless, and so are 283s. Why waste the money? Build the biggest engine in the engine family.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.