big block or small block chevy - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When figuring cc's of and intake port is is also very important to figure the cross sectional area of the port. BBC has very large volume port compared to a SBC due mostly to the port being much longer than a SBC.

A SBC has about a 2.0 square inch port. A set of oval port BBC is about 2.375 inches square. So the cfm/port cross section is the better way to look at it.

When you look at it this way the BBC head isn't much different than the SBC head. Especially when the extra lift capabilities of the BBC are considered. Typically a BBC will a another 0.050" lift in a cam of the same duration as compared to a SBC.

I have recently used a 454 (460) and a 396 (410) in my truck. The 396 had a smoother feel at mid to high rpms and had about the same power of the 454 over 3500 rpm. The 454 had more low end torque but feels buzzy at higher rpms. The 454 rips the tires of the line instantly and the 396 would spin the tires slowly then build up to a full burnout. The extra 1/4 inch stroke of the 454 (4.0 inch stroke) does wonders for low rpm torque. Makes me wonder how a 496 feels (4.25" stroke).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 03:33 AM

Last journal entry: Dug up some old pics
Last photo:

and i still wonder why everyone is comparing a 406 to a 396. its disgusting, your comparing costs when the 406 will last 6 months at that and the 396 has .120 of boring to get through. a 396 with any stock cam and a basic bowl job will cream a small block. If youve already got the 396 man get it fuel injected then you have the cleanest and most economical small block eater in ya town! just make sure when ya build ya 396 that all bearing clearances are perfect and all the oil galleries are clean and you got no seal leaks. Ya dont wanna be running no bearings. Oh get it balanced and pull some good revs
Old 09-25-2005, 01:32 AM

Last edited by VickK12785; 09-25-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:15 AM

motor ?

there is NO substitute for cubic inches ! always run a BIG BLOCK ! words of wisdom ........ " always put the largest engine in the smallest car / truck as possable ..... if it doesnt fit , they sell plasma cutters and welders ! " >>>>>>>>>>> ratso
Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Let me ask the original poster this question.... what are your expectations of the engine and what will be its intended use???Whats your budget??

My guess is you want reliable yet FUN to drive.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM

id like to see you do something one off maybe a turbo l6 why not or how bout a 305 twin turbo? big block small block i say do something pyscho its your best bet who wouldnt look twice at a nova with a turbo l6 if a honda can make 200hp na than u can pull maybe 500 with a properly built l6 its just like when people say u can make horsepower with small blocks than gale banks comes out with a kit that can pull 1000+ hp turbo of course but thats just has good properly built has any na or supercharged car
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbowtie
Let me ask the original poster this question.... what are your expectations of the engine and what will be its intended use???Whats your budget??
I don't think the original poster is really going to be interested any more since this thread was posted almost four years ago.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM

if money is not an issue then go with what you have, I am a big supporter of the SBC pound for pound dollar for dollar, etc. both are ideal it is really of matter of preffence, but mind you there is nothing like the sound of a BBC with a lumpy cam and big tube headers with that roar almost like a pro stock car. also opening the hood to show your freinds is appealing to the eye as well. But don't get me wrong SBC's can be screamers.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

king kong

I too have an old 396 and it has oval port heads and it is maybe overcammed and yes I should probably get a dual plane manifold but when I mash the gas pedal it roars like king kong. The beauty is ,when I can afford a.f.r. heads I will gain a lot more...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:30 PM

bigger might not be better, but it's bigger

jerry3car is on to something. If you have the money a big block is fun. I have little experience in building but still an enthusiast, logically a small block is the way to go, but just think of the horse you can pull and if you've heard a heathy bb run and your in to that then it's a no brainer .
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
I don't think the original poster is really going to be interested any more since this thread was posted almost four years ago.

DOOHHHHH.. I never even looked.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 AM

Last journal entry: a few more pics of my pro street 66 C10
Last photo:

BBC vs SBC

this is a subject that I have an opinion about like everyone else. I have spent countless thousands in both directions and this what I have experienced. A sbc can be a very strong competitor to the bbc if your willing to spend enough money. the cheapest way to make power is a bbc. I dont care what anyone says I have had 406s 383s 350s and so on, I have also had 396s 427s 454s and so on. how far you go with the build is up to you and your budget. but when it comes to tire shredding power the big block can easily produce that where as small blocks will if you throw enough money at them. The only and I mean ONLY thing about a bbc to really consider is that they do tend to get very poor fuel mileage but then again thats not what we are after is it. I currently have a 350 that I have invested about $3500 into, it is strong but it isn't like the bbcs I had in the past so guess what? I went out last week and bought a car with a fresh 454 just for the engine. Well you see where that is going...
Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 PM

big block or small block chevy

I swapped a stock 396 - 350 horse into my 55 Chev Cameo 1/2 ton in 1970. I have driven it hard for all these 38 years and it is still in beautiful shape. Nothing makes eyeballs pop more than just popping the hood of that old truck. It runs great, goes like hell, and gets reasonable gas mileage. running 4.57 gears and an overdrive.
A small block is 100 lbs lighter, but this can be offset by a set of aluminum heads for around $1000,00. For street only applications, the iron oval port heads work well enough for me.
I like small blocks but I own more big blocks. My vote, big block. I have just built up a 454 for the truck, but haven't installed it yet.
Bob
Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Build a BBC an don't look back, since you have one it's a no brainer. I use the crank an rods an put in a 454 block an you will have a 427. But you do need some 427 pistons. Torque is awsome in a BBC.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Bbc

Be a man put a 502 or 496 in it a small block just makes it a kid or girl car

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.