big block or small block chevy - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktorr22
Be a man put a 502 or 496 in it a small block just makes it a kid or girl car
thats real funny considering big blocks have been getting embarrassed on national television by tuner cars on pinks seen that 468 big block chevelle get his handed to him by a freakin 93 4 banger ford probe i'm still laughing over that as for a i just spanked the crap out of a 408 big block chevy with my 406 small block in my 70 nova and big blocks are very impressive strapped to a dyno we race cars not dyno's i say big blocks produce all of that torque for a reason towing stuff big blocks are for towing and small blocks are for racing my 406 makes more torque than horsepower big blocks don't like rpm's either

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This thread is 4 years old.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Amazing powers of observation.

The ICE is ____ years old???

Wormy Boy is right tho, big blocks are for towing your small block powered race car to the track.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez

Wormy Boy is right tho, big blocks are for towing your small block powered race car to the track.
Well that explains why all the top fuel and pro mod racers run small blocks
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926
Well, if you are talking AFTERMARKET, then you know the BBC will ALWAYS win. But, he has a 396 already, and the example given of $3500 for the 566/560 on pump gas with stock parts can not be achieved with a small block on stock parts. That is a no brainer. That is how this thread started.

If you know how to build an engine, you CAN run 300+cc ports on a street/strip engine. Not that hard, if you know what you are doing.
you wont build 550hp/550tq with a all stock 396 either, the stock bbc heads will out flow the stock sbc heads
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926
Well, if you are talking AFTERMARKET, then you know the BBC will ALWAYS win. But, he has a 396 already, and the example given of $3500 for the 566/560 on pump gas with stock parts can not be achieved with a small block on stock parts. That is a no brainer. That is how this thread started.

If you know how to build an engine, you CAN run 300+cc ports on a street/strip engine. Not that hard, if you know what you are doing.
with your aftermarket prices on a set of iron heads so that you could make 550hp/550tq with a 396, about $1500-1700, i could buy a set of great $900 heads, $300 cam kit, and the intake to go with it, as long as i started off with a decent carb, im already wippin' the 396's behind

yes "there is no replacement for cubic inche displacement" BBC's are awsome, but i like them for the strip, not as much for the street, a well built BBC will out perform a well built SBC it's just that simple there is an exception to every rule the 396, a well built 396 can be out performed by a 406/421/434, i like the 396 it is a much more rare motor, and just has that cool factor, but if you want to straight talk about racing the 406 has got it, remember "there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement

no any combo of the 454 block can be made with crazy hp#'s on a low budget, you make make a next to stock 454 run 500hp/500tq, so yes that out does the SBC but not the 396
Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 AM

Last photo:

Bottom line is the more cubic inches you have, the less cam/rpm you'll need to get to the same power level.

The biggest downside to a big block is all the big stuff. It seems to take some knowledge (and $$s) to get them to rev into the 6k range and live.

The biggest downside to a small block is the more radical cam you'll need to rev it to get the power.

That being said, a well-built small block can over-challenge a stock-type suspension and dominate a junkyard big block. A well-built big block would be hard to fully enjoy without hitting the track.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 AM

Last photo:

Bottom line is the more cubic inches you have, the less cam/rpm you'll need to get to the same power level.

The biggest downside to a big block is all the big stuff. It seems to take some knowledge (and $$s) to get them to rev into the 6k range and live.

The biggest downside to a small block is the more radical cam you'll need to rev it to get the power.

That being said, a well-built small block can over-challenge a stock-type suspension and dominate junkyard and most stock big blocks. A well-built big block would be hard to fully enjoy without hitting the track.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Great Thread

I'm trying to decide which base I want for a car build. Choices are a 396 car or a 350 convertible 1969 Camaro. As a kid my dad had a '69 Z/28 that was a very successful slalom racer in '69, '70, and '71. Mom had a '69 with either a 350hp or 375hp 396. Both 4speeds. Mom's 396 would outrun that Z everywhere it was straight.
I'm going with the 396 car.
Thanks all.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
69 Nova SS 454

Last photo:

Size Matters

You have to go BIG BLOCK if you have any kind of ego. Size does matter!!!There is something extra when a girl asks what size engine you have and you reply it's a BIG BLOCK. If you said it had a small block they might second guess in thier head if it is going to be enough. When you say it's a BIG BLOCK the first thought in her pretty little head is WOW that sounds big he must be to....lol.
P.S My 69 454 Nova is next to go on Dyno at the shop I'm told and I will post results asap. They are calling for rain here all week (wipers deleted) so I told them no rush. Sorry for the wait to all who guessed on results.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

gez, now this thread is older than the hills and has been revived several times.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpounder
You have to go BIG BLOCK if you have any kind of ego. Size does matter!!!There is something extra when a girl asks what size engine you have and you reply it's a BIG BLOCK. If you said it had a small block they might second guess in thier head if it is going to be enough. When you say it's a BIG BLOCK the first thought in her pretty little head is WOW that sounds big he must be to....lol.
P.S My 69 454 Nova is next to go on Dyno at the shop I'm told and I will post results asap. They are calling for rain here all week (wipers deleted) so I told them no rush. Sorry for the wait to all who guessed on results.

WTH? So your justification is for the ladies? Ladies dont care if its a 502 or a 2.0L. The only thing they notice is how much it looks like its worth and vibrations running through the passenger seat.

If impressing ladies is what you're after run an inline 6 and spend money on paint.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
69 Nova SS 454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
WTH? So your justification is for the ladies? Ladies dont care if its a 502 or a 2.0L. The only thing they notice is how much it looks like its worth and vibrations running through the passenger seat.

If impressing ladies is what you're after run an inline 6 and spend money on paint.
Soooo thats why I got so much tail in my 1982 Cordoba with the latex paint paint job.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpounder
Soooo thats why I got so much tail in my 1982 Cordoba with the latex paint paint job.

No, its a known fact that gay guys love chryslers, they're almost as popular with them as Miatas are.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

Thats old news....Pintos are the queer's choice of car these days.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.