Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Big Block for towing
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

" I'm wanting to get all the horsepower and torque out of this engine that is possible and still drive on the road with no problem"

"what are the best heads cam and intake I can get to give me the most towing power?
and finally what kind of horsepower and torque do you think the set up will make"

These are exact quotes taken from the the OP original post. He asked "what are the best heads, cam and intake I can get to give me the most towing power?" I think most would take this question as what is the best heads, cam and intake that will give me the MOST down low tq. I believe what I have suggested is exactly that.

Then he asked "I'm wanting to get all the horsepower and torque out of this engine that is possbile and still drive on the road with no problem" I believe that the combiniation I have suggested will work with nearly factory everything, and will still produce pretty of vaccum. thus I actually suggested what the OP requested, where as those who keep posting about crappy factory heads ignored the OP's request!

I dont see anywhere on the OP's post where he mentions this being a "tow truck", I believe his exact words where "I'm building a '79 4x4 dually with a turbo 400 transmission and I'm putting a '89 454 in it, the truck is just gonna be used for towing a couple vehicles at a time" This does not sound like a tow truck to me, it doesn't sound as if this truck will be used in any rescues, or need to idle for hours at a time during the winter... This sounds like a guy who has a 79' 4x4 dually who wants as much horsepower and torque as possible so he can use it to tow a 1-2 car trailer, while still maintaining street manors. Notice how the underlined sentence goes perfectly along with what the OP stated!

Where did this guy ever mention operating hydrualics/pto, cause I never saw that!

If this truck is truely a "tow truck" then I would never recomend using a gasoline engine period! you need the longevity of a diesel.

Then as far as alm heads go, I use them on my race car, and I have them on my truck (from the factory) I never have any issues with heat in either vehicle what so ever. That truck has pulled a 9,500lb camper up the mountains and the temp never buged. I have had my race car, in stop and go traffic for over and hour and she never got above 190.

Last edited by my87Z; 12-31-2012 at 11:39 AM.