Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Big Block for towing
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I think the OP should clarify what he wants to use the engine for exactly. If he wants to use Al. heads thats fine,I still would sugguest oval port heads. I think that using fuel injection over a carb would be a very good choice.The cams we agree on using a mild one,though that might change too? A six speed auto may offer enough benefits to warrant a swap
I can agree with what you have stated here. The FI would be a good choice, but can be a very costly one. I dont have any problems with the aftermarket oval port heads, but I dont think it is ever a good idea to use the original 40yr old gm castings unless you are on a very tight budget.

If iron oval port heads are a must then I would suggest the WP Merlin 269cc Oval port heads. These heads average around 10% better flow + velocity at all lift ranges and around 15% more at .550-.600" than the old factory Oval port heads. Yes a pair is going to cost you around 1500.00, but when you stop to think that you will probably spend around 400-500 (easily) for a set of used GM casting oval ports heads that still need to be cleaned up and rebuilt which will end up costing you another 500-600 for a total of around 1000+ for what is still a 40yr old GM head design with no modification or advances in technology. That 1500.00 is money well spent, and flat out will always out perform the old GM castings.