Big Block Tunnel Ram 2X4 Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 11:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Big Block Tunnel Ram 2X4 Question

First im new to the boards and would like to say hello to everyone... Can someone please help me with this ???

I have a polished Weiand Street Tunnel Ram intake on a 468 BBC .. The rpm range on the Tunnel Ram is 2800-8000 rpm ... My cam is a Crower solid roller that is rated 3000-7000 rpm .. So the cam and the intake should work together in theory .. My question is would i be loosing torque down low if i use the tunnel ram ??? It has the right RPM range, but everyone tells me that Tunnel Rams do not produce any torque down low not matter what type it is ... I've also heard that this Tunnel Ram can produce ALOT of power with the right carb setup, as long as i dont over carb it !! I need all the help i can get down low as i want to run low 10's on motor ... Should i ditch the tunnel ram and go with the Victor Jr. and a 1050 Dominator ??? Here are the specs on my motor ... Please help me out .. I really want to use the tunnel ram because it looks so awsome on my motor ... Would a single carb and intake give me more power down low ?? Will the tunnel ram make up for it ???

The motor is a 468 BBC
Trans is a Turbo 400
Stall is a Hughes 4,000
I havent made up my mind on the intake yet .. It will either be the tunnel ram with 2 Holley 660's or the Victor Jr. with a 1050 dominator ..
12 to 1 Forged Speed Pro pistons
Block was 0 decked and heads have been milled some so im guessing my compression is close to 13 to 1
Cam is a Crower Solid Roller 290/306 -651/677
Crower solid roller lifters
5140 forged steel nitrid GM crank
1.7 Harlan Sharp Roller Rockers..
Lunati H Beam forged aluminuim rods
Heads are open chamber GM 990 rectangular port with 2.25'' Int / 1.88'' Exh Valves ..
Heads have had alot of porting done ..
Rear end is a 31 spline 9 inch with 4.11 gears
Headers are Hedman ceramic coated 2 inch

Suspension Mods ..

Car has Caltracs slapper bars
Car has all new polyurethane bushings and body mounts
Competition engineering weld in sub frame connectors
New multi leaf springs..
Big block springs up front it
Competition Engineering ADJUSTABLE DRAG SHOCKS

Wheels and tires ..
Weld Drag Lites 15 X 8's with 28X10.5 MT ET Streets
Weld Drag Lites 15X 5's up front

Here are some pics of my engine with the tunnel ram ..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Personally i think it should be OK b/c you (hopefully) have 12:1 compression and a 4000 converter. I see no problems with going for that look with your setup.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the response ...The pistons are 12:1 and the block has been O decked so im guessing the compression is a littlle higher than 12:1 .... I do have a 4000 stall converter .... What do you mean hopefully ???? Do you think the tunnel ram would make my car sluggish out of the hole ??
Old 01-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Even if you went with an intake that had a lower RPM power band, it wouldn't match your cams powerband and probably not make much of a difference on the lower end. Given the cam, and your stall and gearing, you should be fine out of the hole.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siggy_Freud
Even if you went with an intake that had a lower RPM power band, it wouldn't match your cams powerband and probably not make much of a difference on the lower end. Given the cam, and your stall and gearing, you should be fine out of the hole.

The cams rpm range is 3,000-7,000 .. The tunnel ram is 2800-8000rpm .. So they should work together good i would think, but everyone keeps telling me to go to a single carb intake

My next issue is choosing the right carbs ... Would two Holley 600 cfms with vacuum secondaries be fine ?? Or would two 600 or 650 double pumpers better ? I kinda ruled out the two Holley 660's that are made for a tunnel ram because they are 500 bucks a piece !!! That means i would have to spend a 1000 bucks just on the carbs ..

Last edited by 74NovaRat; 01-28-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you had a intake thats powerband was . . lets say 1500-6000 . . . you still have another 1500RPM before the cams powerband kicks in. The way you have it set up now, the intake and cam powerband start at roughly the same time, and the cam drops off well before the intakes powerband. They seem well matched as it is. Why put a lower RPM manifold with a high RPM camshaft? Just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siggy_Freud
If you had a intake thats powerband was . . lets say 1500-6000 . . . you still have another 1500RPM before the cams powerband kicks in. The way you have it set up now, the intake and cam powerband start at roughly the same time, and the cam drops off well before the intakes powerband. They seem well matched as it is. Why put a lower RPM manifold with a high RPM camshaft? Just doesn't make sense.
I wouldnt put a lower rpm intake, i was just talking about the tunnel ram its self .. People keep telling me that a single carb intake will give me better throttle response than a tunnel ram with two 4's ... I personally think they have never ran a tunnel ram or didnt have the right carb setup on it ... What carbs would you recomend for my setup ??
Old 01-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

When people talk about tunnel rams there are some bad points and some good points. If this is a street car that will be street driven then the tunnel ram is not the best choice. The reason I say that is because of low end characteristics. With that being said with a 12:1 or even slightly higher compression ratio I don't think street driving is your goal. You have enough stall and cam to pull off the tunnel ram. You might be slightly under geared but, I would run it like that and see how it runs, you can always swap gears if needed. I would NO DOUBT go with double pumper carbs, either 600 or 650's, as you mentioned the 660's are even better but a little pricey.

Now, you can go just as fast with a single four barrel no doubt about it. It is s matter of preference at this point. Do you want the "look" of the tunnel ram or are you strictly looking at performance? Tuning the single carb would be a lot easier.

With your combo, the tunnel ram will not "hurt" you like it will with a low compression low rpm engine (street engine). even in those cases they can work if you pick the right parts and tune them correctly.

If your situation it is just a matter of which way you want to go. Either will work the same. The tunnel ram might buy you a little more HP up top and the single four barrel will give you a little more power down low. I don't think there will be much difference in the over all performance.

Royce
Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

A pair of 600 Holleys or better yet BGs... if you are up to the task of tuning a pair of them. You'll need a box of jets, a couple of different sized pairs of power valves and two vacuum gauges.

A pair of these may work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33550

=======================================
Royce beat me to the punch, and he's right, a pair of dbl pumpers would be better.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the detailed response .. Yeah this not a daily driver by any means .. This car is about 90% strip .. I would of went with steeper gears with out even thinking twice, but i still want to be able to cruise to LOCAL spots when i want to ... It would be kinda hard with 4.33 or 4.56 gears to do any cruising on the streets .. I could care less about fuel milage as this car will never get driven real long distances .. Im thinking of ordering 2 600 double pumpers ..

Last edited by 74NovaRat; 01-28-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Keep us posted on how it goes. It is alway good to hear back on results. It will also help someone else that might have a similar question/situation.

You can make it work, it will just take a little patience and tuning.

Royce
Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by camaroman7d
Keep us posted on how it goes. It is alway good to hear back on results. It will also help someone else that might have a similar question/situation.

You can make it work, it will just take a little patience and tuning.

Royce
Is it really gonna be that hard to tune the 2 carbs ?? Im not a good carb tuner by any means .. Im gonna have ot have a friend help me with it .. Hopefully between the 2 of us we can get it right ..
Old 01-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Here are some pics of my car and engine ..As you can see the tunnel ram looks pretty mean on there ... The car is an ugly gold, but it will be painted soon .. I will definitley post some results ..

http://2quicknovas.suddenlaunch.com/...num=1106317389

Last edited by 74NovaRat; 01-28-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.