Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Big Block vs Small Block Chevy
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit6447
after reading the entire post.... i just had to make a post.

a few replies said that the added weight of a bbc wouldn't be worth it in a 3600lb car, and that a 383 could do better...

(just making up numbers, don't hit me)

489 bbc - 600hp, 550lb/ft (aluminum heads - 600lbs)
383sbc - 500hp, 400lb/ft (aluminum heads - 500lbs)

at the cost of 100 lbs, you are getting 20% more hp,, and 37.5% more tq

3600 + 500 = 4100lbs
3600 + 600 = 4200 lbs
weight difference = 2.4%!!!

so your saying that an added 2.4% in weight is not worth the extra 20% in hp??

do some math and figure that in mid to heavy car applications, a bbc is the OBVIOUS choice for getting it moving. just because the power to weight ratio of the motor alone is way off, doesn't mean anything for the whole combo.

My vote goes to BBC. that is why i am putting a bbc in my 3000lb car.

(but... if you are on a $2000 budget, then i guess you have no choice, or you REALLY care about gas mileage, than a bbc will be a bad choice. if you really want to go fast, BBC all the way!)
I am new and replying to an old thread but I am glad I found this because I have been considering for a couple of years whether to swap my street/strip 350 sbc for a stroked 454 big block! This thread has shown me the light! My 1990 Corvette will soon be having a Big block sat in it and I don't care how long it takes or how much I have to modify the hood and I do not care about extra weight of a Big block because if I do worry about the extra weight of a Big block then theres no point me having an extra passenger as they will just weigh as the differnce or more

Last edited by (vette)mech; 05-05-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: missing word