Big Block vs Small Block Chevy - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2002, 05:50 AM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

jimm, a build up of the 3100 would probably be fun, but not very cost effective. Parts are relatively hard to come by and quite pricey. Plus, the performance level will never come close to meeting that of the 440 I have planned! I wish the General would make some cheaper parts for the N-Body platform. That way, the entire family could get where we needed in not much time!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2002, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Here's a set up a friend has.
-355 with 370 heads unported, 3 angle valve job
-comp cams 292 cam hydralic
-1.5 intake and 1.6 exhaust roller tip rockers
-RPM intake
-flat top pistons
-decked block
-reworked 750 Holley double pumper-flows a little over 800 cfm
Ram Air Systems setup
-4.56 gears
-M/T streets
-spool (I know, I know)
2800 rpm stall
th350 with shift kit
1970 caprice lighten to 3600 lb
runs 12.2 with 1.78 60 foot
Its a little rank for daily driving but it can be done.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:30 PM

Thumbs up

cuda man,hey guy! 440 ,oh yeah~! as tim allen the tool guy says, uugghhh!uugghhh!,or sometinng like that.it's a shame that parts for well, i guess any thing other than chevy costs so much more!but there is still good reason to press on,they are way cool rides!i love cudas,challengers,chargers,superbees,gtx's,roadrun ners,gasp!and we need more people out there building them!post some pics when the time is right,i mean even build pics if you can, alas ,i don't have a scanner yet[ i can buy a new billet distributor with that dough!]by the way ,one of the coolest guys in our club just had multiple bypass [5] surgery[paco] and is on the mend.thought you might like to know if you did'nt already.you know it would be great if we had a slush fund set up that members could contribute to for use in sending some stuff to members that are down with illness!not cards , but good stuff, like rod magazines that are different from the ones that person already gets ,catalogs, [car parts of course!] and most assuredly some edible goodies. just a thought,and not a bad one.let me know if i can help in setting this up,see ya, jimm
Old 05-06-2002, 10:44 PM

there are several things everyone seems to be forgetin here. first is not all block castings are equal (BBCorSBC). 454 blocks have inherent weakness that slightly smaller cubed BBCs dont (cyld wall thickness, web thickness, deck thickness) all these areas vary among the different engine groups (especially with chevy)(a 283 is not the same as a 350 and a 454 is not the same as a 402). also not all bank accts are equal. PC has been talkin crate motors but I dont reall Bigjoedo askin bout crate anythin. also my personal experiences are that a good 350 block with a set of flattop pistons at 9.5-10:1 comp with good breathin heads the right cam for the intended use matched with a good intake and carb will produce every bit as much torque and HP as most crate BBCs for less $$ and live a long and prosperous life,even under stressfull periods.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:21 AM
At a loss for words

jimm, that's a good idea! I'll bring it up to in the Staff Room at the club board.
When the 440 build is under way, expect to see a ton of pictures! I plan on documenting the entire process from start to finish. This will also be done with the car once I finally decide on a body to go with. Why oh why did the Chrysler Corp. have to have some many beautiful cars!?!?!?!?
I ordered my scanner when I got the computer and I just recently invested in a digital camera. They're both pretty handy!
Old 05-07-2002, 07:34 PM

Well critter, if you were to read all of the postings (like the first one), BIGJOEDO did ask about a 454. And since Chevy does make a 454 crate motor I thought I would mention it.

Even though he didn't ask about crate motors I gave my opinion. This is a place that I can voice my opinion and not get a sharp comment right?

Well, it appears that this discussion turned into a comparison of BBC and SBC engines.

Whether its crate motors or junk yard build up engines I would say that all of the posting that follow the original posting certainly gave the originator of this topic a great deal to think about.

Keep up the good discussions.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:29 PM

PC, I must certainly agree with you. There has been a great deal of discussion in the comparison of BBC vs SBC and I'm in hopes that everyone has learned something other than we all have as many opinions as likes and dislikes. We dont always have to agree on any one topic,just respect each others thoughts.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:26 PM

Thumbs up

Ok, after reading all the yea and nea's of big block this and small block that. I must say that there is no replacement for displacement. Althought I have had both small blocks and big blocks, both are great because the are made by Chevy. For those of us that love Chevys we ought to be on our knees thanking the lord above that we do have chevy's to work on, race and argue about which is better. I have to say that the small blocks are a mighty engine and that a stock 350 will beat a Ford small block anyday! My .40 over 350 in my street driven 79' pickup over the last 5 years has managed to ruin a transmission and a rearend and replace the rear tires many times. I give it a 10+!!! I also managed to stuff a stock 396 in a 79' Nova with a turbo 400 and 411 gears w/slicks and headers, would turn high 12's low 13's. The first time down the track I was highly impressed!!! I also give the big blocks a A++++!!!! So I would give scrafice the extra weight for a big block for the price that I can't pay to get the same hp and fun that I can out of a big block. So, BIG BLOCKS RULE!!!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 04:50 PM

[quote]Originally posted by bigjoedo:
<strong>I have a 3900# Chevy Monte Carlo (1976). It has a 300HP 350CID engine. I want the car to be a quick street Rod, (NOT Pro-Street). Is the small block adequate for this application ? Would I be better off putting a 454CID in the car. Either way, I plan to run 4:11 gears in the rear, and use a single carb.( no Blower or NO2) Thanks for your help.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 08-28-2002, 05:18 PM

Cool

I have to agree about the big block torque. I drive school bus and train drivers. We have some buses that are retired now that ran gas 366 BBC engines. They will cruise at 65mph plus even with a governer on them. Who knows what they would do without the governer. One that still is used as a spare bus is an absolute animal. It has throttle body injection and an auto trans and it will cruise with the big diesils except on really big hills. I looked at this thread because I,m thinking about putting one of those 366 BBC's in my 81 Regal. We're talking a super low buck project here trying to keep it under $1000.00. The warmed up V6 just doesn't have enough power.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:41 PM

i think smoky yunick[spelling?]has a manual out that shows you how to build a 460 cube small block that makes around 750 gee gee's i don't remember the torque rating. and i remember reading something about the 375 horse 327 beating a 375 horse 396 in the same cars i think it has something to do with ht rod/stroke ratio in the 327 as well as the lighter weight of the small block.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Man, there is no comparing a 350 cubic inch engine vs. a 454. You guys are all talking about how high it is to build a big block. I just built a 396 for 1500.00 and, it has some nice stuff in it { a 454 would be cheaper to build than the 396}. If you want to get some good flowing oval port heads, pop in some 2.190,1.88 valves, a hot cam and kit, pump a little compression in it, and a typical carb and intake, you are going to make over 500 horsepower easily, and probably more than 540 ft/lb of torque. You just can't get a small block to make the kind of low speed twist a 454's gonna have. In a 3900 pound Monte Carlo, that's what you need. Sure, you can build a radical little engine and it will be fast, but it will cost you, and it won't be streetable.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:29 AM

I would agree with most people that bbc puts out more power than a sbc cuz I one of both but im quite impressed with my 265 sbc. Im running about a 4.11 rear end ive managed to blow the spider gears out and ive had to weld them . I've managed to blow out my 4 speed and clutch. I can waste people with 350's that are built. I would just as soon run my 454 in it though, and in case your wondering what im running the 265 in its a 57 chev it has a edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb with edelbrock performer manifold a slightly bigger cam.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

Big Block hands down.In a heavy car with plenty of room there is no reason not to go big.Even GM used a 454 in your car when they wanted to make it run.Even a stock junkyard pickup truck motor with an intake,carb and headers will outrun a pretty hot 355.As for the guy who commented on Nascar,you should remember that they arent allowed to run bigblocks,the biggest engine they are allowed is 360 inches,and they dont use a .030 over 350,they use a .030 over 400 bore with a 3.25" crank in it.Yup they make 750 horsepower,but they have to spin 9000 rpm to make it,and they have $5000 cylinder heads on them,$1000 rocker arms,and $5000 crank kits,and they throw everything in the garbage after 1 race.I have a 427 bigblock that I built with a stock GM 2 bolt main block,stock GM crank,stock heads with almost no portwork{bowl blend},stock lifters and timing chain,and off the shelf edelbrock intake,and it makes 720 horsepower at 7300rpm,and I hit it with a 300 shot of nitrous for an even 1000 horsepower,and the engine doenst seem to be sweating it one bit.I havnet had the valve covers off in 2 years.I change the oil twice a year and run the snot out of it.I also spent $8000 pan to carb including the nitrous system and the headers for the entire deal,and since this price includes aluminum heads{new GM rectagular port L88 stock replacements for only $1200},intake and water pump,my bigblock only weighs within about 100#of most iron headed 355's out there.A while back I built a 396 with a stock block bored .060 over,stock crank,rods and pistons,with stock oval port heads with only a 3 angle valve job,a stock GM cam{L88 replacement cam},stock stamped rockers,and stock pushrods,a dual plane intake and 850 holley,stock oil pump and pan,and even stock valve covers.It ran mid 11's in a 3400# car,which is the same number as the fresh off the dyno roller cammed dart headed 355 that my friend has in his Malibu runs with his 540 hp dyno sheet,and he has a single plane intake,a 5000 stall convertor,roller rockers and a .640" roller cam,and he shifts it at 7200rpm.He spent almost 10 grand at a big name engine shop for his peice,and shook his head at the fact that my $2500 basically stock 408 can run right along side of him.He put a 200 hp shot of spray on it and burned one of his lightweight race pistons,we shot the 408 with it's stock replacement L78 replacement pistons,and it didnt miss a beat.10 second reliable horsepower for under 3 grand.Cant argue with that.That Monte needs a .030 over 454 with 9:1 pistons on a stock crank and rods,a 3 angle valvejob on a set of stock oval port open chamber heads{big ovals prefered},use a crane HMV278 cam with stock replacement lifters timing chain,pushrods and rockers{all new speedpro stuff or similar would be nice}Fresh springs,and top it off with a performer RPM intake and 700 double pumper carb,and with a set of small tube 1 7/8" headers,you will have a tuff combo to beat.Should be a great 480 to 500 horsepower with parts you can buy from the local parts store,and should run for tens of thousands of miles with nothing other then oil changes.Dont be fooled by magizine articles that claim they slapped some vortec heads and a mild cam on a stock crate motor and made almost that much horsepower.with a 2500rpm stall speed in a th400 with 3.73's and some 27 inch tall tires,that 461 will pull the rod bolts out of any warmed over 355.Good luck.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

And dont dis those 366 truck motors.We did one a while back.Took one good running 366 out of a school bus,rebuilt the stock heads with a 3 angle valve job,and fresh springs and seals,replaced the cam with a mild 272 Crane HMV,and added a weiand 172 blower set up with 2 tunnel ram carbs,and a set of used cheapie headers.We had to use intake spacers to make the blower work and had to machine the blower manifold so that we could use an off the self DUI distributor,but with under $3500 in the whole thing including the ditributor,carbs,and headers,it ran low 12's in a 3400# car on pump gas.We werent planning on pulling the oil pan off,but we had to swap it for a car unit and so we added a fresh stock oil pump.It is still running and is down the track from time to time.It ran low 12's with a 2500 stall in a th 400 and 3.55 gears and 28 inch tall goofy street tires{like pro trac 50's or something}it was a total hooptie racer and it runs like a clock.We build cars to run quick and be dead reliable with a minimum fo trick parts,and it seems to attract a lot of attention.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.