Big Block vs Small Block Chevy - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2002, 06:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Talking

While a small block can be a fast blast I think you'll have so much more fun with the 454. It will have tons more wheel spinning torque like blowing the rubber off the tires all the way into high gear. Its as simple as a 9:1 to 10:1 454,(flattops with close chamber heads or small domes with open chamber oval ports) solid lifter camshaft like comp cams 294 solid magnum version and matching springs, 10 degree comp cams retainers and locks, 800 double pumper carb and good intake, headers. Go with the good ARP rod bolts in the big end. Stud the mains and heads if bucks up. I went with a 10" convertor and 4:56 gear. I have had tons of wheel spinning fun with this motor and no troubles for years except worn out tires LOL.. I have had fast small blocks but next to a comparable big block the BB always made it more fun because of the gobbs of torque it has.

Bry
<a href="http://ww2.esn.net/turbo/" target="_blank">http://ww2.esn.net/turbo/</a>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 07:55 PM

as a fomer owner of a 70 ss 454 monte carlo /and a 70 ss 350 nova both were very nice but got more pride out of opening the hood and saying big block(to meny mice around very few rats)
Old 04-19-2003, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

did anyone happen to catch the small block vs bigblock comparrison in car craft a couple of months back?? They tested an 427 aluminum headed smallblock against a cast iron headed 509 big block, and even though the SB weighed 535 pounds and had a 244/252 @ .050 cam compaired to the 680 pounds weight and smaller cam of the rat( 235/240 @ .050), the 70 Nova they tested both engines in still ran 3/10 of a second faster in the quarter with the big block, now i submit to the discussion that with some aluminum heads and a cam simmilar or larger in duration (large motors like bigger cams...) the Nova would have obliterated the mouse with more than a full second in the quarter mile

I would say go with the Rat, first of all the worst flowing stock GM heasd for the big block outflows any trick racing small block heads (at least stock valve angle heads) Secondly the wow factor is worth it all... and lastly well its just plainly a cool thing to have filling the engine compartment..
Old 04-20-2003, 05:58 AM

been avoiding posting here but it just keeps calling me. It is all about personal preferance or what the car is built for. A monte is a big car but a small block will move it easily. I had a 74 monte with a 406 and had plenty grunt. If you want a daily driven street engine that you are going to be satisfied with 350-400 hp then the small block gets the call if you want more go bbc but also spend more. They both have pros and cons. I will build whatever I have or can get the quickest for the best deal. My father is an oldtimer that he and a few friends biult a 66" chevelle with a 283 25 yrs ago. This car would break your neck. They had 396 badges on her and everyone thought it was toting a bbc but that little mouse was feared buy many and on the other hand I have a buddy with a very brutal big block pushing probably over 125 hp more than my 327 and he only runs .04 better than me in the 1320. small bolck vs big block will rage on as ford vs chevy it is about what you want, need, budget and what use you have for iteither way CHEVY REIGNS
Old 04-20-2003, 06:47 AM
speed freak

No matter how tough you are there is always someone tougher. No matter how fast you go, there is always someone who can go faster. Its all about personal preferences and money.
Either bb or sb can be a gas, both have merit, and both can be expensive.
I prefer sb's, and so far, since I began turning wrenches back in the 60's, I have never had ANY bb beat my sb, Ford, Chevy or Mopar, and back then I would run anything on 4 wheels. But thats my experience, so I keep on running them. I am sure there are lots of people that can say otherwise (and they probably will) but you go with what got you here...
Its all about enjoyment and comraderie, like being here discussing mine vs. yours....
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

When you hiding from the big boys its kind of hard to get beat by them, lol. When considering a Mopar, dollar per HP, its way cheaper to build the big block. When building and comparing HP to HP, what is going to be more durable, a small block or a big block? If its Chevy your after, cmon, will a small chevy ever outflow a big chevy head that an average man can buy? Weight, and you have some extra bucks, then buy yourself an aluminum big block and be done with it. When your after overall power, big block anything. If your after your preferences, then its up to you.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I wonder if after 3 years, he's made a decision?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Guess it dont matter now, ne never said what he did.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 AM

i have a 350 that's bored 30 over
and i got 410 HP and 408 ftlbs of torque with the mods i made to it
so really you can make that small block strong enough if you know what you're doing
it'll get better mileage than a big block too
Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM

and for the alluminum big block?
it will be easy to get power out of it
but....alluminum blocks wear out faster
Old 05-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

As stated, you realize this post is 4 years old?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Grand Prix
hey liquid_larry you can bore a small block out to 454 cubes. it's been done and documented by one of the mags i read (hot rod or car craft??). it's probably pretty finiky but high reving 454 small block has got to go pretty damn fast

MOTOWN
Small Block Chevrolet

Build any thing from a 355 c.i.d. engine to a big 454-incher with maximum ease by using a complete Bill Mitchell Hardcore short block assembly. Starting with a race-prepped World Motown block

http://theengineshop.com/prods_pages/101202.htm
Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 AM

Bigger is better

Well small blocks are fine for small cars but if you really want a kick something that will last and be scary go for a new gen big block such as 502 as you know you can make an easy 600hp and easy to drive low end torque to keep this rig drivable with street mannors. It depends if you want trhe best of both world drivability and very fast you have to use a big block.

If you were worried about fuel consumption you may want to stick with a small block but that would be the only reason. Lets see a 502 makes 502hp at 5000rpm and 567ft at 3600rpm put 3.0 diff ratio and you have a animal car that will cruise at low revs with a small cam or go with a radicle small block that revs to 6500-7000rpm just to make the same hp and have a wild cam and bunny hop at 40mph which will be a pig to drive on a street daily.
Its the only way to go go the big block you wony regret it.
Cheers
camaro fan
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

cheaper to build a big block using stock 781 heads... if u want 500 hp its cheaper to go with a big block.. just buy some higher comp pistons,cam intake, carb.. you should have it there.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Reminds me of a kid in high school, parents had money and his dad dumped like 20 grand in an engine on a mustang (that thing sounded sweet) but i guess that was it. He took it to the local track and another kid with same car ran better time with a set of engine pulleys and a tune. Guess it isn't what you spend but how you apply it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.