Big Brake Kit For Mustang II - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Big Brake Kit For Mustang II

I have a '34 Ford Coupe with a stock Mustang II front-end and Steel 15" Wheels. Can anyone recommend a Big Brake (11") Kit for my car? I need a kit that won't move the wheels out and is a complete bolt-on. I don't want to have to chase extra parts not included in the kit.

I want American made products if possible to still find in this day and age. All input good and bad appreciated.

Thanks~~~~~~~Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You didn't say what bolt pattern your using but here's a couple examples available from Speedway Motors.

GM bolt pattern

Ford bolt pattern
Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

big brake kit for mustang II

hey ron...with the mustang spindle you can use a granada 11'' rotor and with a adapter disc brake plate, with a gm caliper...(monte carlo)...all can be found either on e-bay or at your local parts store...this would be the simplest form, there are other options as well
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Mustang II Kit

Ordered a Big Brake Kit from MP Brakes (advertisement says it will fit 15" wheels or larger) and won't move the wheels out. Guess what....they don't fit my 15" wheels. Calipers drag all around rim. They told me it was OK to grind off some of the caliper to make them fit. I started grinding but you can't grind enough off to make them fit. Still waiting for decision (plan B as they call it) as what they are going to do. This kit uses the Big GM Truck Calipers.

Are late model GM (metric) calipers smaller? MP told me, if I switch to a Metric Caliper Kit which they don't make....I would also have to change my Corvette Style (1" bore) Master Cylinder. I am totally confused as what to do. I need a kit that does not move the wheels out and calipers that will clear my 15" steel wheels.

All input greatly appreciated.~
Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

big brake kit for mustang II

hey..ron... the 82-87 camaro rotor or the 78-80 granada rotor 11 inches..will fit the mustang II spindles ,, with a 82-92 gm metric caliper(camaro).. will fit your application, and clear most 14 and definitley all 15 inch rims...heres a page to check out for the caliper adapter you will probably need for the caliper, the truck caliper is a bigger caliper and will not clear a 15 inch rim...you will have to switch over the calipers to the one mentioned above, there about $30 a piece, rotors vary but are pretty cheap as well....

hope this helps you...rog

Last edited by Deuce; 10-31-2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

ECI and Brake Tech Solutions have that 11" kit with the large GM CAR calipers.. And those are the only 2 that I know of that DO NOT move the wheel out.. IIRC the granada rotor mentioned in the previous post moves the wheel out 1/4"

I believe the Speedway kits like Centerline mentioned move the wheels out as well.

The ECI and BTS kits have special hubs with separate rotors to keep the wheels in their proper place..

I know I just bought the MII kit from brake tech solutions to install on a customers 40 ford and it was a nice setup. all the hardware was there and it installed fine...I got it to fit inside a set of 14" American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels , so I know they will fit inside 15" wheels easily. I did have to get the wheels internally balanced, because the calipers would not clear the stick-on weights, but other than that, it worked fine.

Both BTS and ECI use domestic and Canadian made parts where ever possible.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 10-31-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM

MII Big Brake Kit

Sweet 34,
I recommend that you call Chassis Engineering at 319-643-2655 and ask for Jim or Denny. They will explain their kit the rotors, calibers etc that they use which has worked well for me. I'm using their kit on my 39 Chevy which consists of 11" Granada rotors. The set up has worked well for me and Jim and Denny are very nice and knowledgeable and are very willing to to answer any questions you have.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:14 AM

Last photo:

Ebay wise I've been watching these caliper brackets for a while and need to sell some stuff and break down and buy a set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...054943690&rd=1

Forged, not cut out with a trace torch and welded up. And the price is more than friendly.
He also has the cross drilled 11 inch rotors in either bolt pattern.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...m=260176295102
All I know about them is what we read in the add.
The same outfit also shows some complete kits spindle out including the spindle.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I did'nt catch the bolt-pattern for your car. If you use the front disc brake kits that use the granada rotor,they will move the wheel out, if you have the Chevy bolt pattern,and use the kits that use the early camaro rotor,it will not move the wheel out. I have used both kits with the generic corvette m.c. with no adverse problems. Here's another question,why are you changing from the mustang II brakes on a light car? I have repeatedly fixed customers brake woes with this setup (on a light car like yours) simply by changing the pads to a wagner gold semi metallic pad! The car will stop great,and you will only be out $40.00 and about 20 minutes work!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

Rim design (backspacing, hoop inside diameter, etc.) all need to be taken into account before ordering brake components. Saying "will fit 15" wheels" doesn't mean anything, and I'm surprised they don't have a disclaimer about this. Although that's probably a good thing for your situation as it gives you an "out"! Wheels all have different designs, so I highly recommend sending all the wheel and clearance measurements to your vendor before ordering anything else.

Wheel Vintiques has a handy diagram to fill out when ordering their wheels, which can be used to help your brake vendor select equipment that will fit your application. If you want a copy, go to their site: http://www.wheelvintiques.com/shopsi...tml/index.html, click on the Products/Prices tab, then go to the bottom and click on the Wheel Fitment tab. A PDF file will open which is a diagram showing the critical wheel dimensions you'll need.

An alternative is to keep the brake parts that you have, and order a new set of wheels that fit what you have.

Hope this helps.

Antny
Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Rim design (backspacing, hoop inside diameter, etc.) all need to be taken into account before ordering brake components. Saying "will fit 15" wheels" doesn't mean anything,

Antny

It means a little more than that, as most of these brake setups are based on parts that are of a relativly stock configuration...Most aftermarket wheels are made to fit stock configurations.. I don't see too many clearance issues with those type of kits unless the manufacturer starts mixing up some weird parts...Like the big truck calipers that come with the kit that sweet34 got.

Bear brakes has a really neat downloadable template with a scale on it so you can print out the paper, glue it to a peice of cardboard, and when you cut out around the lines, you get a perfect profile of the disc, caliper and hub...stick it inside your rim and it centers itself and you get a true view of the clearances..

Here is a link to the template for Baers track system for a MII, just to show you an example.

http://www.baer.com/technical/templates/files/D082H.PDF

It is too bad all of the manufacturers don't do this.

Later, mikey

Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

That's cool.......if you are using Baer brakes. Their recommended minimum clearance of 1/10 of an inch is too scary for me. I used 1/2-inch as a minimum to be safe.

I agree that all manufacturers should offer these templates to take the guesswork/errors out of this.

Antny
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I only used that as an example to show what the manufacturers should do.

You are right, in that if you start pieceing up a system from individual components, that you'd be better off getting your brakes together then ordering the rims. (aren't the brakes just a bit more important than the rims? Judging by all of the cars and trucks I see with 20" or dubs and tiny little brakes, it doesn't seem so)

What sweet34 wants to do isn't all that hard. Why MP uses truck calipers is beyond me. (if they are in fact truck calipers, early GM midsize calipers would be my guess) . He should have sent the kit back as soon as it didn't fit instead of grinding calipers and making them his.

Later, mikey

Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

I agree 100%; brakes are more important than wheels! Start with the brakes, THEN order the wheels to fit.

Antny
Old 11-03-2007, 01:49 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Streetrodderbn,
Quote:
I did'nt catch the bolt-pattern for your car. If you use the front disc brake kits that use the granada rotor,they will move the wheel out, if you have the Chevy bolt pattern,and use the kits that use the early camaro rotor,it will not move the wheel out. I have used both kits with the generic corvette m.c. with no adverse problems. Here's another question,why are you changing from the mustang II brakes on a light car? I have repeatedly fixed customers brake woes with this setup (on a light car like yours) simply by changing the pads to a wagner gold semi metallic pad! The car will stop great,and you will only be out $40.00 and about 20 minutes work!!
You picked my curiosity here. I have a 41 Willys and much to my dismay the wheels are very close tothe fenders.
So if I read this right, I can replace my Granada rotors with early Camaro rotors and the wheels will be moved in some amount.
Now I have dual bolt pattern wheels so I think I'm good there, I have 15 wheels with a shallow offset so I think that is good too , now the question, Are the Camaro rotors 11 inch?? and I assume that the Metric calipers will work as is. In other words the rotor hat stays inthe same position relative to the caliper but the bearing hub is slightly offset to compensate. How much width will I lose per side??? 1/2-3/4 inch??

I already have a 1" Corvette MC and 7" booster, residual valves and adj proportioning valve.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.