Big HP (and $$$) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Chock full of useless info

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Big HP (and $$$)

As one of his toys, my boss has a bright yellow Viper RT/10 with a set of headers and custom exhaust from Hennessey. It's also currently running a supercharger at a liesurely 5psi, which puts it somewhere around 650hp.

So he and I get talking a few weeks ago, and he said he went to the track before the supercharger, and ran a 12.3 at 118 on his first run (and on street tires). The officials pulled him aside after that one, and said that since he's so close to breaking into the 11's, he'd need to install a roll bar (and I suspect a driveshaft loop). "Think you'll get to the 11's?" I ask.

"I'm in the 10's, " he says. I think it may even scare him a little (I'm waiting for the right moment to suggest he may want to take a driving school so he doesn't kill himself.)

He also mentioned at the time that if the weather clears, he's bringing it in, and will be taking me for a ride. "Then you can drive it." Intimidation sets in.

So sure enough, later that week, he brings in the Viper, and we take it for a spin. He drives it for a few miles, then pulls it over, and trades seats with me.

Now, I've been in 10-second pro-street cars before, and they felt like undrivable monsters. With the windows up and the a/c on, this car was deceptively fast, and was happy to loaf around through the city all day.

Suddenly my friend's Z06 has the acceleration of a city bus in rush hour.

It's cammed for torque, and doesn't like high revs, so the engine was pretty lumpy, but the speed and torque is just amazing. 50mph (2500 rpm) to 100mph in 4th gear takes all of about 3 seconds. Maybe 2. I think I actually hit Light Speed. Maybe Ludicrous Speed (for you Spaceballs fans).

Let's just put it this way: I've NEVER before seen a speedometer move faster than a tachometer.

As Tom Hnatiu on Dream Car Garage asks, "Do you need a car like this? No. Do you want a car like this? OH HELL YES!"

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 12:59 AM

Last photo:

Sweet!

Nos
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

I looked at the possibilities of getting a Viper, but for someone as broke as I stay it just wasn't that reasonable. I would have loved to have been able to drive your bosses car. What I'm fixing to write below isn't any type of flame towards you or your boss, just a little about the guy he got his exhaust from.

The most impressive thing about your whole post is that your boss actually got his parts out of Hennessy, most of the viper modding community wants to kill him. He has ripped off so many people and done stuff like had people send him their car's computers for tuning and never sent them back, kept peoples Heads. Taken people's money and not given them their parts. He is a scumbag and a black eye on the car loving community. Here is a picture that some one made a while back that should show you what some people think of him. Do a google search on his name or go to a Viper forum and see what they have to say about him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hennesscrewed.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	201  
Old 08-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Chock full of useless info

Last photo:

I agree. I've been reading the Hennessey saga for a few years now. A friend of mine was ready to send his Corvette Z06 down to their shop when the news broke. My boss had his share of fun with Hennessey. He hasn't told me many of the details, but he actually had them send the exhaust to him, and he had his usual mechanic install it.

I'd be interested to see how much the exhaust helped. I normally like loud cars, but I think it could actually benefit from a resonator. Either that, or you'd need to line the entire ****pit and trunk with Dynamat.

The supercharger's pretty slick. It replaces the entire intake manifold, and sits right between the valve covers. It's belt driven via a long shaft that runs to the front of the motor, and it has custom tubing that picks up fresh air from the OEM airboxes. The nice thing about it's placement is that the air gets pressurized, then flows all of about 2" straight into the heads.

Next up is a pair of oversized throttle bodies and injectors.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:32 PM
No Bodies does it better

Last photo:

Maryland A?

Not often do I find people right down the street from me on this site in the past 4 days your like the 3rd person to post from the balimore area...just neat, nothing more.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:53 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i doubt i could make the insurance payment on one

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.