Is this a big problem ? please help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last journal entry: This is the Rough Draft of the V8 Frame
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this a big problem ? please help

I have a 350 chevy with a edlebrock rpm kit but the block broke where the starter bolts so I got a used block out of a truck, The used not broken block didnt have a ring whatsoever and the guy told me it was having bottom end troubles so I pulled out the crank and switched it with the broken blocks crank, which I know the broken block's crank is good. and I pulled the rods out of the used not broken block, unfortunately my stepdad went on a cleaning rage and threw them all in a box completely disorganized after I had them set on which cylinder they came out of, Now I have no clue how they came out and we are really short on money right now, my plan was to reuse the rods and pistons and buy new rings and just slap it back together. My parts which I ordered ( rings and a total gasket set) will be here on wednesday. [U]How can I put the rods close to how they came without having it balanced by a machine shop ?[/U]

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy350_Camd
I have a 350 chevy with a edlebrock rpm kit but the block broke where the starter bolts so I got a used block out of a truck, The used not broken block didnt have a ring whatsoever and the guy told me it was having bottom end troubles so I pulled out the crank and switched it with the broken blocks crank, which I know the broken block's crank is good. and I pulled the rods out of the used not broken block, unfortunately my stepdad went on a cleaning rage and threw them all in a box completely disorganized after I had them set on which cylinder they came out of, Now I have no clue how they came out and we are really short on money right now, my plan was to reuse the rods and pistons and buy new rings and just slap it back together. My parts which I ordered ( rings and a total gasket set) will be here on wednesday. [U]How can I put the rods close to how they came without having it balanced by a machine shop ?[/U]
As long as the rods/pistons are facing the right direction it wont matter. Since they're going into a different bore, new rings/bearings etc..
The rods aren't balanced to a certain journal on the crank, they're weight matched equally and the cranks counterweights are balanced to that weight.
You should check your bearing clearances very carefully & make sure you don't have any tight spots on the main journals if you're not having the block line honed. You should have the mains checked for straightness.
What kind of bottom end trouble did you find in the used block?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last journal entry: This is the Rough Draft of the V8 Frame
Last photo:

Problem

Not very much, that I could see. Im not to experianced in taking them apart to find the problem actually, but some of the main bearings, at the ends of one side were as sharp as a razor. It looked like they had been eaten on one side way more than the other resulting in a like knife blade on the ends. Thats all I noticed the crank looked find and the rods looked fine. He said he rebuilt it prior before I got it but like 10 years ago and it was a hard reving truck puller engine. Tell me if this is not enough Info.

Thanks
Your Friends
Rob
Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

On each connecting rod there is a stamped number both the rod and cap.
The numbers should match to the cylinder. Make sure the piston and connecting rod are facing the same direction. I may be wrong on this one, but there may be stamped arrow on the caps. It should be facing toward the front of the block.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Bent rods will wear the bearing more on one side than on the other as you have described. Check the big ends of the rods on the sides to see if they have been rubbing/chafing against each other or against the fillet on the crankpins.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.