Big Temperature Gauge Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Smoke Tires, Not Drugs.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Big Temperature Gauge Problem

Hey guys. I'm getting at my end here for what to do. I have a malfunctioning Temp. Gauge and I'd rather not have to put a different one in there. I have an 84 Z28 Camaro and I just put a new temperature sensor and figured that would solve it but it didn't do anything. whats happening is the gauge works fine but the only reading I get when I turn the engine or "on" on I just get a completely maxed out reading and thats that. on my thermostat housing theres 2 holes one with the temperature sensor and one with another sensor piece with 2 prongs but it's not hooked up. I looked up my electrical diagrams and I believe all the wires are running right. currently there hasn't been any antifreeze run through the new temp sensor. I haven't been able to let the motor warm up enough because I'd liek to know the temperature before I try this out. do you think that it just needs some water and antifreeze to hit it? any help would be appreciated thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 08:13 PM

Gauge

Is this car stock, modified? Computer system still hooked up? Do the other gauges work correctly? Unplug the sensor and turn the key on. If it still pegs the temp gauge you have either got a grounded wire or a faulty gauge. If your car is stock that other temp sensor is for the ECM . The temp sending unit is a thermistor and applies more & more voltage to the gauge as the engine temp rises. I'm sure you have it right but double check the connector at the unit and make sure it is not crossed. Check both sensors at the housing. Anyway the feed wire from the sensor if it got grounded somehow it would peg the gauge.
Go ahead and fill the cooling system up. But being low or the probe not touching anti-freeze will not peg the gauge.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Smoke Tires, Not Drugs.

Last photo:

found out the problem. no wire hooked up. and I had the wrong sensor. Doh! lol thanks for the help though

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.