Big Time Car Girl - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Big Time Car Girl

Read you leader about "Big Time Car Girl" being a stealth advertising campaign. Well you know the popular thing to do from politics to movies.

It seems the advertisement industry, long suffering in its hubris, has never figured out that people try this stuff, if it works we tell our friends, if it doesn't work we tell everybody. So playing on this field can be pretty risky for them.

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Good point , Bogie.
I've always wondered why big companies even advertise. I don't care how many Marlboro or Budwieser ads I see - I will never buy those products. I don't think anybody has ever seen a beer ad and thought " oooh ,maybe if I drink O'Doogals , then I'LL get some babes ,too!! "
We drink/eat/smoke what brands we LIKE . I don't think advertising works a quick as word of mouth.
In a different thread one of our members has been totally scammed by a formerly reputable car builder. Word of mouth has reached a LOT of people out there ( me included ) who now won't be scammed like this poor guy was.

The balding dude with the " big time car girl" bubble is good for a chuckle , though.
Mike
Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
If you think you are not being effected by advertising and go about buying what you "want" you are kidding yourself. We are ALL played like puppets and we ALL do things directly related to it.

EVERY SINGLE THING you pick up at the store is marketed to YOU to pick it up. From the shelf that particular item is on, to the direction you turn when you first walk in the store, to the color and size of the package to the music played in the store to the products it is shelved with to the items you pass going to it in the store to the price and on and on. Marketing is a science, a science that BILLIONS of dollars are spent on every year.

You ARE a product of that marketing. Just the fact that you think you are not effected is the proof that it works.

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

"You ARE a product of that marketing. Just the fact that you think you are not effected is the proof that it works."

That should read "victim", as it´s all stealth.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You ARE a product of that marketing. Just the fact that you think you are not effected is the proof that it works.
Ever seen washing powder in a black box? Or blue food?
Would you buy it?

I do like a Ford, but I still went out & bought a Chevy & a Dodge...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Quote:
If you think you are not being effected by advertising and go about buying what you "want" you are kidding yourself........

........You ARE a product of that marketing. Just the fact that you think you are not effected is the proof that it works.

Brian
Aha! You are free to believe what you want , but again , I see ads all the time for things I will not try , or buy. If I don't buy it , how did that ad work?
Billions a year may be spent so all you sheeple can have the latest greatest ladder , or whatever it may be , but I still say " ads don't affect my buying decisions ONE BIT "
How exactly do they work , again?
BTW - you are talking to a very , very simple man. I don't have cable - I don't have sattelite , I don't even have high speed computer access. Do Ibuy AXE brand deodorant , because chicks dig it? NO. Do I buy Corona beer because I see people having fun on a beach with it? NO, I buy what I NEED . period.
Ads have nothing to do with my desicions.
I would hope more people out there think for themselves......
but hey - wanna buy some O'Doogals? Chicks dig it !
BTW - that last line makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

79C10, you are a complicated man.

I didn't go out and buy that ladder because of the advertising, I actually thought the same as you when seeing the ad. I looked fake and overdone. I bought the ladder because like a great man once said "We drink/eat/smoke what brands we LIKE" and I LIKED that ladder once I tried my brothers.
No, the average person is just like you. They do not walk out of their homes like a zombie with their arms stretched out in front of them and a blank stare on their faces when they see a commerical like in a cartoon. However, they ARE effected by what they see, including you.

Because you don't buy Corona, or other products that we are bombarded with day in and day out it doesn't mean that you don't buy other products because of the exposure to them thru marketing. For that matter, what beer do you drink? Has there EVER been an ad for it? Which of course, there doesn't even need to be an ad, just the place on the shelf, the label, the shape of the bottles, the name, and even the price are ALL developed in the Marketing dept of that company.

Getting back to your beer, you could buy the Coors or what ever you do because of that Corona ad! Yep, you are watching tv and see that ad with the two on the beach and you begin to crave beer. You go to the kitchen and get a Coors. The ad WORKED, you moved in the direction of that Corona. Next thing you know, you are at a friends BBQ and in his cooler there are a number of different brands of beer. You didn't have to pay for it so you grab the Corona. Hmmmmmmm, this stuff is pretty good. Next time you buy beer you grab the Corona because it is a special occasion. Besides that, YOU "bought" that Corona out of your buddies cooler. If no one picked up a Corona that day he wouldn't get another six pack the next time he has a BBQ.

Are you saying that you have NEVER bought a product that is advertised?

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Howdy Brian,
I will first confess to ribbing you for the ladder out of pure envy. It is a cool ladder. I would love to have one.
I can't see how seeing an ad for corona and then going to get a coors has any benifit for the corona people.The people who paid the money for the ad. .... I really just don't see it. As far as beer goes , I don't drink. at all. I come from a long line of professional alcoholics , and I was determined to break the chain.
I'm talking about ads BTW - not shelf space/availability.
Advertising and marketing are different things , right? Isn't marketing more research based , as opposed to ads , which tell you about something new or improved ? Ads are usually full of lies and borderline BS anyways , that's why they all have the fine print at the bottom.
Do you work for/run an ad agency or something?
If so - whoops! I'm not trying to make anyone feel un-needed..... But-- If they stopped advertising Marlboro all together , I'm certain that they would STILL have all their customers.
Same goes for Budwieser.
Unless they all saw a Joe Camel ad or a nice couple on the beach or something... then who knows
Hope I didn't offend - I just like to feel like I can think for myself.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job~Rated
Ever seen washing powder in a black box? Or blue food?
Would you buy it?
My high school year book mentions my fondness for ketchup. I put it on lots of things. (Ex: pizza pop with Cheese Whiz, crunched up tacos, topped with ketchup - Everyday after school. Think I should get my heart checked?)

Purple or green ketchup though... Where's the "tossing the cookies" icon?
I just can't do it. Might even make me lose Fear Factor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	purpleketchup_1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	26251  
Old 12-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjamelectric
My high school year book mentions my fondness for ketchup. I put it on lots of things. (Ex: pizza pop with Cheese Whiz, crunched up tacos, topped with ketchup - Everyday after school. Think I should get my heart checked?)

Purple or green ketchup though... Where's the "tossing the cookies" icon?
I just can't do it. Might even make me lose Fear Factor.

My 15 year old son eats ketchup on most everything. Even pancakes.
As long as he'll eat it , who am I to tell him not to? I did explain that most folks will look at him like he's crazy if they find out , but he doesn't seem to mind. I think it might even make you smart , as he is on the honor roll in 10th grade and he's taking 2 math courses. His mom ain't the brightest bulb in the knife drawer , and while I'm no dummy , I ain't THAT smart. ( don't let him know that , though. )
So it just might be the ketchup.....
Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

79C10, I am not in advertising. Marketing is just a facinating science to me. I have studied some on the subject and it is just interesting to me.

Advertising, shelf location, package design, price, promotional give-aways, samples, baseball caps and shirts with the products name on it, it is ALL "Marketing". It all is SUPER research based. The new Toyota Tundra ads for instance. They took a big gamble and went with the I HAVE MUSCLES LIKE A REAL TRUCK SHOULD montra and SHOWING it as opposed to the the big three just "telling you" it had muscles.

Like I said, you buying the Coors because the Corona ad got you thirsty manipulated you. It DID, it didn't get you to the Corona THIS TIME, but like I said, at the next neighborhood BBQ, you may just pick one up.

Would Marlboro still sell as many cigs if they stopped advertising, HELL NO they wouldn't. They don't spend about 100 million dollars (I am probably pretty close to their advertising budget) each year to throw away money!

By the way Chevrolets advertising budget is about $250 million a year!! That is as I remember reading years ago.

I am not offended in any way. I am just chatting about a subject I find interesting.

By the way, have you ever been to McDonalds with a child and bought a happy meal, you were lead by marketing.

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Quote:
..... The new Toyota Tundra ads for instance. They took a big gamble and went with the I HAVE MUSCLES LIKE A REAL TRUCK SHOULD montra and SHOWING it as opposed to the the big three just "telling you" it had muscles........

Brian
yep , and I WON'T be buying a Toyota , so does me driving my old Chevy truck count as their advertising working? same as the corona/coors situation? ..... I still don't buy it.
Ads don't affect my buying decision.
Price/availability has 95% of it in the bag. the ad has nothing to do with it. IMHO .
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

We are all affected (and influenced) by marketing. This doesn't mean that every single purchase we make is 100% (or even 1%) due to marketing. It just means that it's a powerful force acting on our decisions, whether we like it or not.

Yes, maybe some more than others. But even people with advanced degrees in marketing admit that they're regularly swayed by marketing and advertising. Not just product marketing. Marketing of ideas and information too. Politics.

It's not as simple as: "I saw the ad and it did/didn't affect my purchase decision for that exact product".

Here's a list of some of the supermarket marketing techniques to which MARTINSR is referring: http://www.spacehijackers.org/html/i...sy/tricks.html

Here's a quick promo vid from a large marketing firm that focuses on "consumer friendly packaging and shopping environments" for numerous high-dollar clients (McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Wells Fargo, Wal-Mart, etc.): http://www.envirosell.com/index.php?...d=43&Itemid=52 .

The science behind this stuff is mind-boggling. "Neuromarketing" is a new field that's especially interesting. From a PBS article: Neuromarketing: Is It Coming to a Lab Near You?.

Quote:
Montague had his subjects take the Pepsi Challenge while he watched their neural activity with a functional MRI machine, which tracks blood flow to different regions of the brain. Without knowing what they were drinking, about half of them said they preferred Pepsi. But once Montague told them which samples were Coke, three-fourths said that drink tasted better, and their brain activity changed too. Coke "lit up" the medial prefrontal cortex -- a part of the brain that controls higher thinking.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

I think marketing is a fascinating thing. It's all about influencing the perceptions one has about a certain thing, be it a commercial product or an ideology. Case in point, Jon's example of the brain activity when drinking "cola", Pepsi, or Coke: If a company is successful enough with their marketing campaigns, they they can change the very thought process of a human being using their product. Isn't that cool?

It boils down to my favorite generalization of human behavior: Perception is reality. What does it matter what is real or not real; which reality is the true reality? It doesn't. It only matters how one person or group of people perceives the situation, and that perception is incredibly easy to manipulate.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcuden
If a company is successful enough with their marketing campaigns, they they can change the very thought process of a human being using their product. Isn't that cool?
No, it's not. It's brainwashing and it irritates the heck out of me. Two of the last three movies I saw in the theater were loaded with advertising. The advertising in one of them was so blatant that it ruined the movie for me. I quit going to NHRA drag racing because I got tired of having big advertising shoved down my throat. I'm nearly ready to quit watching baseball altogether because of the amount of advertising thrown at viewers.

I've noticed that companies also regularly pay personalities from popular radio shows to pitch their products. How about watching a really good show on TV then when a commercial comes on they kick up the volume a notch?

Can anybody guess why I don't like watch the Super Bowl either?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.