Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Big Time Car Girl
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

We are all affected (and influenced) by marketing. This doesn't mean that every single purchase we make is 100% (or even 1%) due to marketing. It just means that it's a powerful force acting on our decisions, whether we like it or not.

Yes, maybe some more than others. But even people with advanced degrees in marketing admit that they're regularly swayed by marketing and advertising. Not just product marketing. Marketing of ideas and information too. Politics.

It's not as simple as: "I saw the ad and it did/didn't affect my purchase decision for that exact product".

Here's a list of some of the supermarket marketing techniques to which MARTINSR is referring: http://www.spacehijackers.org/html/i...sy/tricks.html

Here's a quick promo vid from a large marketing firm that focuses on "consumer friendly packaging and shopping environments" for numerous high-dollar clients (McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Wells Fargo, Wal-Mart, etc.): http://www.envirosell.com/index.php?...d=43&Itemid=52 .

The science behind this stuff is mind-boggling. "Neuromarketing" is a new field that's especially interesting. From a PBS article: Neuromarketing: Is It Coming to a Lab Near You?.

Quote:
Montague had his subjects take the Pepsi Challenge while he watched their neural activity with a functional MRI machine, which tracks blood flow to different regions of the brain. Without knowing what they were drinking, about half of them said they preferred Pepsi. But once Montague told them which samples were Coke, three-fourths said that drink tasted better, and their brain activity changed too. Coke "lit up" the medial prefrontal cortex -- a part of the brain that controls higher thinking.