Big Time Ignition problem!!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Big Time Ignition problem!!!!!

I have a 93 f150 for a daily driver. Right now it is not a driver at all. I am at my grandparents ranch working to pay for my 70 chevy. As of now I am stranded here. My little brother stripped my ignition. So badly that it will not turn at all. So i bought a new ignition, problem is that you have to turn to "run" position to get it to pull out. So i look at the new ignition, and decide to just drill out the locking part on the old igniton. Looks to me that this is the only place that is being held. Well i was wrong. THe shaft that I assume actually turns over (back of ignition switch) it is obviously being held up at the back, in the mean time I mad a GIGANTIC mess of my ignition housing. I either need to know how to get a ingition out without a key, or how to force this one to turn to run so i can pop it out. If neither of these is possible how do I hot wire a truck of this year. I have got to get a way home. I was considering just buying a butterfly bit that fit the hole and see if i cant just drill the whole stupid thing out. What options do i have and i need a QUICK fix. Thanks guys I am in a world of hurt here.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Ignition Switch

[color=lightblue]Doc here

Here is one option, get a body hammer (the one with a sliding weight on it and a threaded sheetmetal screw at the front) and screw the body hammer all the way in the key slot, then give the hammer a good jerk backwards and the key cylinder SHOULD pop out. Just insert a slotted screw driver down the shaft where the cylinder came out and turn.

BE ADVISED: If you do this method, and a COP pulls up along side and sees it, be prepared to be pulled over for a Felony Car Stop... Since this is the preferred method of car thieves... So be sure you have ID and the Paperwork! I would replace at the very first opportunity!

I don't think there is any SAFE way to "Hotwire " That truck, as it is computer Controlled and relays on several things to operate when the IGN is on, So just jumping a wire to the coil probably won't get you running, and in fact might damage something else. So I would aviod that.

You CAN get everything to work By just taking a heavy Jumper from any 12 volt source (Hot, Battery, not switched) To anything on the IGN or Acc Side of the fuse box buss , Everything will come on like you turned the key on, except for the starter (which can be started at the solenoid with a screw driver) , and the column will still be locked...But this is risky....you could overtax the fuse buss and burn things up especially if you try to run it...I would not advise it.

Gee...How do I know this stuff?? And no, I've Never Ripped off a Car...

Try the Body hammer first!

Doc

=========================
I want to die like my grandfather did,
peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
[/color]
Old 06-24-2004, 04:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm with Doc, I own the same truck and had to do the same thing. I drilled mine out with a large drill bit. That spade bit won't work. It beats the hell out of you. You just have to break the lock loose so you can turn it then pull it out and replace.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.