Hot Rod Forum banner

big wheel advice

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mitchman 
#1 ·
66 skylark, it's getting a pro touring suspension upgrade from cpp. Hot rod mag did this car and nuzzled some 17x9 rims on the back and they fit. The tire width was 275, back spacing was about 5.5. The rims I want to buy are 17x9 but I can only find a back spacing of about 6.75in. Now I am gonna get under there and really measure, but I thought maybe somebody might know if that rim will even work. I dont have mini tubs and I really don't want the Joe dirt look.

#3 ·
That tool only tells me how tall and wide a wheel I can use. I have that figured out. I'm trying to work a little deeper into it and get an idea of back spacing limitations, what's too extreme and such. Plus, working as a linemen for a utility company during snow storms doesn't give me a lot of time to get under the car right now. So, yeah a little advice or experience would help.

#4 · (Edited)
The tool shown has marks on it to show backspacing and the tool will show you....

Seems to me anyone in need of a tool like this should be able to make one. to change the backspacing you twiddle the threaded rod til you fit. Measure it and you have the answer. Youtube likely has a few vids to get you though the process.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.