Is this (bigger) valve sitting right afte the new seats and valve job? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this (bigger) valve sitting right afte the new seats and valve job?

Hey guys, I am still at it with this ford 3.8 V6 out of the tbird supercoupe, and have a question.

I got my set of heads back form the machine shop today, and I am a little worried about how this valve is sitting... I used 1.625 ex valves,and stuck with stock intake valves.

The valve is "thicker" than the stock valves, it is a Ferrea valve just FYI.

Am I gonna have to worry about piston to valve clearance??

I am also confused on how may cuts there are.
This is spose to be a 3 angle VJ, but all I see is two cuts on either surface. Does 3 angle mean 3 angles, or 3 cuts???

Take a look at the pics, and see what you think about how this valve sits, and how far towrds the edge it is.

Is something wrong here, should I carry them back up there and have him "sink" the vlave more?

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valves1.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	8242   Click image for larger version

Name:	valves2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	8243   Click image for larger version

Name:	valves3.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	8244  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

one more pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valves4.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	8245  
Old 12-09-2005, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

From my limited experience, the exhaust valves are usually thicker than the intakes. My heads looked just like yours when I put in all new valves. As far as the "3 angle" valve job, I believe it only applies to the seat and seat area, not the valve. The 3 angles on the seat are to aid the flow into the runner. The valve only seats on one area. ( Hope i'm right on all of this! LOL i'm not a machinist.)

Mark
Old 12-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

From what I also know this is a normal apperance... The exhaust does have a thicker head so it will not "tulip" under the intense heat it has to survive...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Same here. Looks normal to me.
A 3 angle valve job is pretty standard. The seat area is cut at 45*. Then you use a 30* to cut the top angle and a 60* to cut the inside. By cutting the top and inside you set the seat angle thickness and location on the valve head. You can add a 15* and a 75* to taper the seat more...a 5 angle valve job. When you "lap" the valve in you are actualy confirming the seat width and location on the valve.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Cool! I was right! LOL
Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 PM

Just a reminder.....Dont forget to recheck that geometry. It will be different.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

What is the process for lapping the valves?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

Forget lapping the valves.. On an aluminum head motor. The cold pattern you see is not even close to where the actual "running" seat will be. The exhaust valve runs at or near red hot (read expand) the aluminum head and the valve seat insert run much cooler.

As a novice there is a good chance of you screwing up a good valve job. If you MUST see where the cold seat is get a "Majik" marker. Ink up the seat, then insert valve and spin it against the seat with light pressure. Remove. You will see where seat edge contacts valve.

If you see only a knife edge line, don't worry, as most valve jobs are done with 1/2 degree interference fit and only the edge will show contact under light checking pressure.

The thicker exh valve margin should not be a problem unless you are using a long duration, high lift, aftermkt cam and the heads have been excessively shaved.

You did have these heads resurfaced didn't you??? They are famous for being warped or Brinnelled badly!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

This is not a huge cam at all, 212/220 .531/.539, I also did have the heads surfaced.

Thanks all!

Last edited by sizemoremk; 12-10-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That's a fair amount of valve lift. You will want to check valve to piston clearance anyway. You will want to check your stem height, this will tell the story if the seats are cut properly for the valves that you have. I'm not sure what the factory stem height is on a 3.8 Ford, but they should all be equal. Is this converted to a fully adjustable rocker arm?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
That's a fair amount of valve lift. You will want to check valve to piston clearance anyway. You will want to check your stem height, this will tell the story if the seats are cut properly for the valves that you have. I'm not sure what the factory stem height is on a 3.8 Ford, but they should all be equal. Is this converted to a fully adjustable rocker arm?
I will have to check the clearance just incase, but I'm told that other guys running the SBC valves running even more lift don;t have probelms. But I guess I'll check just in case. They were suppose to deck the block to zero hight, so I guess I'll hv to check. What is a safe piston to valve clearance? How would I measure that? Do I do the putty on the piston thing, then see how deep it is? I don't know how accurate that would be...

The rocker arms are stockers, non-adjustable, but can't they be shimmed up if necessary right?

Thanks!

Last edited by sizemoremk; 12-10-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Forget lapping the valves.. On an aluminum head motor. The cold pattern you see is not even close to where the actual "running" seat will be. The exhaust valve runs at or near red hot (read expand) the aluminum head and the valve seat insert run much cooler.
I don't quite get what you're saying, are you saying aluminum heads run igher temps in comparison with iron heads?

I don't see how that would make any difference for the valve seats...
Old 12-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

The aluminum heads expand and contract moreso than iron heads do, it will change the shape of the seat when the engine is running. That's why checking the exhaust valveseat contact area is almost pointless as it will change a good deal after the engine is running and up to temperature.

As for the valve-to-piston clearance, It's not only the size of the valve that makes checking the clearance necessary, it's the increased lift from the new camshaft along with zero decking the block and milling the heads. All three of those conspire to decrease you valve clearance a great deal, it's a good idea to verify there's enough space between the valve and piston when that many changes are made that affect that particular specification.

Larry
Old 12-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

But the seat is not aluminum, so how would that make a differnce on the seat?

And what is a safe piston to valve clearance to run?

I am told, even with a .580 lift cam, their is no issue, but I'll check it anyways...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.