biggest cam with stock 350 and springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 AM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

biggest cam with stock 350 and springs

Ok I am figuring I am gonna have to stick in a new cam but I dont want to have to change alot of stuff like springs or heads but have better power than stock my heads are the 487X heads the block is 39700014 im just wandering whats my best bet for a good cam and yes it is a daily driver

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Any cam that's above stock should use the matching springs. If not, it's throwing power out the window due loss of valve control. It also increases the risk of a broken valve spring which sometimes they're won't be any damage, other times it'll damage the piston and the valve and in a worse case scenerio it'll drop the valve. Replacing the valve springs to the ultra cheap "Z28" springs is a common move, plus these springs will cover quite a variety of cams. Changing valve springs is very easy if you use the rope trick which is to remove the spark plug, bring the piston about half way up the bore, feed small rope into the cylinder, then by hand move the piston up as high as it will go, when it's reached that limit you'll know. Then use a valve spring remover and change both springs on that cylinder. This way there is no worry of dropping a valve while you work. Some guys use the air pressure method which works okay as well but you have to be real careful, cause if you tap a valve the air escapes and the valve drops. You said it's a stock 350, you mean stock as in stock exhaust manifolds and stock carb? If so the summit 1102 grind would work for you just fine. Make sure you install a double roller timing set while your in there.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1102/
Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

I have run a compcam 260H with stock springs without any issues.

The 268H will float stock springs in the upper rpms.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Change to the z28 springs and swap in a cam around 210/215 duration. You'll also need to bump up the initial timing a couple degrees. If you get a white box cam you can get it all done for about $125.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

well the engine is a jasper reman its the 255 horse engine it has headers and a summit stage 3 intake and edelbrock 1406 carb thats what i got and the engine is only supposed to have 11000 on it
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

A jasper with 11000 miles and it hasn't blown up yet?! That's pretty impressive.
With mild compression you'll want a mild cam. No larger than 215 duration @.050".
Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

whats wrong with a jasper engine ????????
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996thunderchicken
whats wrong with a jasper engine ????????
Take one apart and you'll find plenty wrong. Toleances are all over the place, they mix and match parts, and will reuse parts without properly machininvg them. I've owned 1 of them (well actually 3 as it was covered under warrenty twice and then I just got my money back the last time it failed) and installed/reinstalled many more (against my advice).

I would take an oil burner with 500,000 miles from the junkyard before id take a jasper.

I know they're cheap, which is why people buy them, but its still a lot of money to throw away.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

bad thing is that i dont have the money for even a junkyard engine right now so now what do i do maybe the reason of it being jasper could explain alot i do have a question tho i pluged the pcv valve for a second and the engine idled down and ran smoother it has always ran a little rough so could it be the it was an improperly built jasper
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
bad thing is that i dont have the money for even a junkyard engine right now so now what do i do maybe the reason of it being jasper could explain alot i do have a question tho i pluged the pcv valve for a second and the engine idled down and ran smoother it has always ran a little rough so could it be the it was an improperly built jasper
Is there a lot of blow by?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

When I purchased my engine(from my uncle) it was/is a jasper engine and I havent had any problems out of it. Although its a mild 305 it still runs good. I guess i got lucky and got a good one.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

to be upfront ask the ones i worked with were fords, mostly 460s
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
The change in idle from plugging the PCV valve could be due to a vacuum leak or an incorrectly calibrated carb.

Do a vacuum test using an undamped diagnostic-type vacuum gauge (as opposed to a MPG-type gauge). Note the gauge needle movement as well as the amount of vacuum the engine is making at idle.

The gauge needle should be steady, and w/a stock-type cam the vacuum should be 17 in/Hg- plus. If the gauge is steady but low, look for a vacuum leak. You can also check for a vacuum leak w/o taking a vacuum reading, look for leaks "through intake manifold gaskets, manifold-to-carburetor gaskets, vacuum brakes or the vacuum modulator. Low readings could also be very late valve timing or worn piston rings." Also any vacuum accessory or the vacuum lines to the accessories can leak.

Setting up a performance timing curve will give you as much of a performance increase of anything you can do short of bolting on part$. More on that here.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 AM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

ok the intake is new and the gaskets are new torqued and retorqued and a third time just to be safe i used the mr gasket ultra seal intake gaskets the edelbrock that is on it will not tune at all ive tried and tried again with the same results i usually have 23hg of vaccume the gauge i use is a vac pump guage and now i have 20hg either way i still run rich i cannot run anything but rich other wise she has nothing it just wants to stumble if i set it lower than where its at and now there is a slight tick but i cant figure out where its coming from but the crank pulley is floppy a lil and i even got under the car while running and i looked behind the balancer and it is rolling smooth meaning im not seeing the crank snout wobbling just the pulley if that makes any sense or not so worst case scenario what am i gonna have to do with this if its the balancer have i let it go too long and let it screw the cam this is my only driver and i cant allow it to be down and i cannot put another engine in i havnt the resources if this engine is screwed then i am going to have to figure out something
Old 06-09-2012, 05:40 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

That's high for a vacuum reading, what is your timing set at?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.