Hot Rod Forum banner

Biggest Flathead V8

27K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  martyay 
#1 ·
Sorry for the Short Question but whats the Biggest Flathead V8 out there?

#3 ·
The Lincolns and larger Ford trucks from 49-53 (not quite sure the total years on the trucks though) had a 337 Flatty V-8. Lincoln also had V-12 Flatties, but I am not sure what the CID was? It may have been based off of the smaller Ford flatty so the CID may have been lower? From what I have read I think they were in the older Zephyr? (Again, not quite sure about the Zephyr thing, but I am sure of the Lincoln 337 Flatty as I have 2 of them! :thumbup: )

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

#5 ·
If KULTULZ is lurkin around out there, he could probably set us straight on the V12 flatty. The 337 parts aren't easy to come by either. You gotta pay an arm and a leg for 'em too. :mad: And one place that I deal with, in addition to the high prices, you have to deal with a bunch of jackweeds that give you jerky attitude and constantly screw up your order. Good work ethics, professional attitude and craftsmanship are a rare bird these days! I guess this is a rant for another post though! :smash:
:D

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

#6 · (Edited)
Here's a big one

I don't know what the biggest is, I think there were some HUGE L-head marine engines.
I got interested and looked around a little though. (goofing off and waiting for the inspector to come and check some house-work this morning.).

The 1930 Cadillac V16 was 452 Cu. In. I didn't know that but I found it on Wikipedia. (Article)

There MAY have been an 8 liter Hispano-Suiza but I couldn't find out for sure what kind of heads it had.
The largest displacement ford V8 that I found was the '53 Merc at 255 CI.
My first car was a 1938 Ford with a 48 merc 59AB flathead. 239 Cu In.
It was really pumped, Offy heads, Wico dual magneto, 3 strombergs, and I could almost keep up with a '55 chev. LOL!

Roy.

#7 · (Edited)
The only Flathead V12 I've seen was at Car show this weekend and I saw this nice Packard:

Whats under the hood was surprising for me!!! :eek:

The Biggest flathead V8 I've seen was on a early ford custom-line.
The flathead heads were I'm guessing 10'' wide and 14'' long.

I think found the answer.

Lincoln 337 Flatty as I have 2 of them!
What are the dimensions on the heads?

#12 ·
largest flat head,

acctually i have the same question, i jusr bought two flathead cadillac engines for future projects and the bore is 3.500 and the stoke is roughly 4.25 ( roughly cause i just opened the engine up as it sitts on my garage floor as it JUST arived today i beleive its a 331 ?? correct me if im wrong i read that some where

Chris

oh and anyone with 1936 - 48 cadillac flat head parts give call at !780 486 7404 thank you greatly appreciated

#18 ·
We used to have a military surplus tandem axle 10ton International truck that I believe was a forty. Did a search but couldn't find one like it and any pictures have long since been lost. Anyway, as memory serves the v8 flat had a displacement of 540 ci and redlined at 1800 rpm. I drove it once when I was about 12 or 13. Motor went away shortly after and it was retired to the trees. Last saw it in the 60s. Now sits on the bottom of Lake Sharpe along with a couple 40 fords and a few A's :( .

#20 ·
I don't know which tanks, but I know for a fact that one of them used a large radial exactly the same as the B-17 bomber. I know this because one of my buddies has one in his yard!

The motor had a different crank, other than that most all parts interchange. :)

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.