Binding Attachment Suggestions.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Binding Attachment Suggestions....

What 'typical' sizes of binding attachments are used for auto carpeting and possible household throw rug binding. I understand that the binding material will be different (vinyl for auto carpet binding, and fabric binding for the hotrod top and household stuff). Since binding setups are kind of pricey...ranging from $69.95-$250. would prefer to only buy one or two at most...any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Machine is a Consew 226r-1.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Binding attachments are generally only used in production settings where one sewing machine is set up to do just one operation over and over. I have the same machine, and do all my binding without any attachments. The reason being, by the time I set up the machine to do binding I could have the binding done. There are a bunch of different ways to do binding, and many different types of pre-made binding from vinyl to polyester to acrylic in different widths and in different configurations (like folded on one side or folded on both sides). The reason most upholstery shops don't use attachments is that they are expensive, and are only good for one width of binding being folded over to a pre-determined width. If you buy a folder that turns 1 1/4" wide binding 1/2", you would then need one that only turns it 3/8" or 1/4", and then you would need more attachments to sew double folded binding which also comes in different widths and on and on and on. If you really want to buy an attachment, buy one that folds the fabric you cut and hems it all at the same time. That would make it the most multi purpose of the bunch. My advise is to stick to pre-made pre folded bindings and skip the attachments. Once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard.

For auto carpet, you generally want to use the same vinyl, leather or Ultraleather the rest of the interior is made out of. In general, that type of binding is done by the "sewing in the ditch" method. Here is a thread that shows this method: CLICK HERE That's not to say you can't use pre-made pre-folded binding of another type, but you may have a hard time finding pre-made binding wide enough unless you use very thin carpet.

For a convertible top you would generally use pre-made binding of the same fabric as the top.

Here are three kinds of pre-made binding: The one on the left is vinyl folded on one side. The red one is acrylic folded on both sides, and the one on the right is acrylic sewed on one side. Which kind you use depends on the bare edge you are covering. Binding folded on two sides is used when both the inside and outside of what you are binding both show.

The middle two pictures are both sides of the red binding sewed to the black binding. This was done on my Consew 226, and if you take your time you can do it free hand also.

Another way to finish an edge is to just hem the edge of your fabric by folding it over on itself and sewing it down, like the two pictures of the blue fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	45138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	45139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	45140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	45141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	45142  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-15-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Dan!!

Had read through the carpet thread before and I think that the sewing in-the-ditch will work great for the hotrod carpeting/mats...I was curious about attachments because the boyfriend threw me a curveball the other night when he asked if I could bind a 12'x12' throw rug for his "man-cave". Done with most of the interior on the '29, still have cowl panels to do, then I start on the carpeting. You're guidance and suggestions are always helpful.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.