Hot Rod Forum banner

Binks & Harbor Fright guns, tight quarters & spray booths

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  crazy larry 
#1 ·
I'm a new member and thought I'd pass along some painting experiences. Hope I'm in right spot!
I’ve had my Binks Mach-1 HVLP gun for about 8 years. It’s my first choice when I’m laying down the last coats, either single stage or BC/CC. I also have the HF HVLP gun that everyone is discussing and it has worked well also; I use it now primarily for primers but in a pinch, I’d use it for finals, etc. In the SF bay area, we are screwed down pretty tight on VOC regs. I lust for some PPG K36 primer that you guys are using. Currently I’m doing a ’47 Willy’s Jeep restore and ‘am using a PPG compliant NCP280 primer. Although reduced w/acetone per spec, it has a short pot life & I’m finding it plugs the HF gun air cap quickly; I suspect it’s the design of the cap? I’ll try more acetone next time.

The Willy’s tub needs a small gun to get under the dash and similar tight areas so I just bought the HF HVLP detail gun. It’s a nice piece and I’m expecting great things from it. A note to others which I learned the hard way on the Willy’s. Prior to mixing paint, take your empty gun with air hose attached and do a “dry run” of these tough areas that might include wheel wells, under dash, inside trunk, hood hinge supports, etc., to be sure you have the maneuverability you’ll need when the gun is loaded. This is like a “virtual tour”. Gravity feed guns tend to have poor overhead clearance while siphon feed guns have poor underneath clearances. Final water traps, inlet pressure gauges and quick disconnect fittings further complicate the clearance problem. Now I’m using a 4’ “whip line” for more flexibility.

Lastly on my last garage paint booth I was fortunate to have obtained some hospital privacy curtain track which I installed onto the drywall ceiling. In my 3 car garage, I had a booth sideways that was 14’ wide and 22’ feet long. The enclosure was like a huge shower stall, it was a snap to roll the curtain back, I used several panels which I secured to the garage columns when not in use. Easy to clip the panels together w/ metal binder clips. I used a squirrel cage blower arrangement (ex-swamp cooler) in a plywood box to exhaust the booth, I had quick-change furnace filters attached to the blower face and it worked great, change the filters about every 45 minutes. I would recommend a TEFC motor here tho.

You cannot have enough light in your booth, be careful of the Halogen lights, they burn hot and could be easy combustion sources. Shoulda kept the track when I sold the house!!

Hope this answers some questions for you guys just getting’ goin’, auto painting is a hoot, hang in there until you get comfortable, the guys who are buying the mis-matched paint are your heroes, try this approach and practice on junk panels before you commit to hi bux mixes!!.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for getting some of us on track, man.......trackman....!!
Welcome to the site....
I spray with a used $80 Snap on siphon feed gun and do touch ups with a HF Central Pneumatic gravity feed gun.
Its nice to know how you are regulated out there...must suck.
It sho is nice to paint here in PA.....!!!!!!

I do mostly crap jobs and little stuff...although I did have to repaint the fairing and right side panel on my green bike in my avatar after a foo-foo crash.
My next big job might be my 69 Chevelle I am giving a make-over.....
It'll be a BC/CC frost green!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.