Bitten by the hot rod bug - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Oh my God did I build a lot of models, still have a number unbuilt and half built up in the attic.

Brian
Wouldn't want to know where ALL mine is by now...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Oh my God did I build a lot of models, still have a number unbuilt and half built up in the attic.

Brian
I had 4-5 dozen finished car models stored in a spare bedroom when I was young and married. My two oldest kids were 2 and 4 yrs. old when they discovered the box and opened it up. I was out working on the car when my wife said, "You need to come see something!"
She wouldn't tell me what, so had to stop and come in the house. There on the bedroom floor were all the model cars broken. Not a single one that wasn't broken in some way or other. I looked at the kids and said, "Those were going to be yours when you were old enough to appreciate what they meant. Now they're yours to play with, and destroy."
Walked back out to the garage, and later that evening I gathered all the broken pieces and dumped them in the trash. Couldn't even begin to think about trying to repair what I'd spent years accumulating, and building. My oldest son is 42 now, and still remembers this from 38 years ago!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I had 4-5 dozen finished car models stored in a spare bedroom when I was young and married. My two oldest kids were 2 and 4 yrs. old when they discovered the box and opened it up. I was out working on the car when my wife said, "You need to come see something!"
She wouldn't tell me what, so had to stop and come in the house. There on the bedroom floor were all the model cars broken. Not a single one that wasn't broken in some way or other. I looked at the kids and said, "Those were going to be yours when you were old enough to appreciate what they meant. Now they're yours to play with, and destroy."
Walked back out to the garage, and later that evening I gathered all the broken pieces and dumped them in the trash. Couldn't even begin to think about trying to repair what I'd spent years accumulating, and building. My oldest son is 42 now, and still remembers this from 38 years ago!
That stinks! My Mom tossed all of mine when I went in the Army - along with all my old Hot Rod, and Rod and Custom mags.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

I did the model thing with a passion as a teenager... until I got my first car. Then I decided I was too old for that kid stuff!!!

About 1999 I saw my neighbor building models with his grandson, so I decided to build just one!

Of course I got instantly thoroughly obsessed. I started building again, and hosting an annual drag model event in phoenix. I photographed and wrote coverage for a magazine, to help promote the contest. Started building prototypes for the aftermarket to reproduce. Finally, after about ten years, I burned out.

Over the years I sold off many of my best to collectors, but the ones I have now lost a lot of value after they stopped appearing in the mags, so I will give them to young kids and family members.

Now I have a couple hundred kits, and a dozen unfinished projects stacked around the house. I just don't have the heart to get rid of them. {:-)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

TusconJay, So you were bitten by the hot rod bug, and the model hot rod bug. Makes sense to me!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Yes. It's a sad story. I got hooked at 10 years old... went to the U.S. Nationals from age 13 on... Got my first car at 15, then rebuilt the engine and painted it by 17... helped build a B/Gasser and a street rod in my late teens... . went through a string of Corvettes and many other popular Chevies, including 409s, Novas, a Camaro SS, a Cameo, etc. and started custom painting for friends... then part time... in my early twenties.

I had decided early I was going to be a drag racer, and was already practicing on the streets. :-) Unexpectedly, I found the satisfaction of painting outweighed my plans to be a racer, so I gave all of the other things up in 1986 to custom paint full time. Never looked back! Today I get my hands all over the neatest stuff 24-7, and don't have to work a "real" job. :-)

I have been able to convince some of my grandkids to do what they love, instead of trying to make the most money they can! Some of them get it, and follow their heart.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I, too, assembled about a zillion models.

I never painted any of 'em nor did I ever attempt to customize any.

I tried a couple of times, but the results were so horrible that I threw them away and bought another model of "that" car, to be assembled and left in white.

I ended up with a bunch of models of many many cars, all of them white with white interiors, then, once assembled, put them back into the boxes and put somewhere or other.

If I didn't like the car, I would not buy it - if I did like it, then I knew any changes I could make would only make it much worse, not better. (I still feel the same way).

I make no changes to the appearance of anything I own (or ever have owned) - I just add power, change drivelines etc.

My painting & bodywork skills are still 100% non-existent, and I still place no value on appearance.

I remember going to hotrod shows and loving a lot of the cars, but I could never understand why someone would change a car's appearance.

Chopping, channeling, sectioning, lowering spending a ton of time & $$$$ on paint etc are things I still cannot comprehend, and I place no value on them - well - a sort of "negative value" - it DECREASES the car's worth in my view.

Last edited by Dave57210; 07-04-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

The good news is that we all like different things. If we didn't... there would be only one kind of car... with all of the details exactly the same! Wouldn't that be boring! No hot rods... no customs... no racers... no performance cars... and the new cars each year would be the same as every year before.

After working for hundreds of people, I don't worry any more about whether they want me to do what I like personally. Instead of that, I enjoy getting to do many different styles... (including factory restorations). A lot of people don't think about what good things being individuals does for us. :-)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

I don't know how old I was, but I always wanted to watch my grandpa and dad drive the car. Let up on the gas, push in the clutch, shift the stick. always asking why the shift lever was on the floor of the PU and on the column in the car. Then we moved and dad got a Dodge with a Trans that had 2nd and high. Now Grandpa always had Fords 3 gears, The first time I went for a ride in that Dodge I was dumb founded, One time dad would take off in 2nd the next high. Boy did I have alot to learn about these cars I thought, hell I was only to the transmission.

Well one day my mom and my brother were going to see her old class mate. well we got there and us kids were playing, and went in a shed to look at a tractor. (for me anything with wheels) I asked the boy that lived there if he ever drove it, he said no. I was sitting on it, found the clutch so I could shift it, then the boy asked me if I could drive it, I said sure, heck I had been watching my Grandpa and Dad drive for a couple years, how hard could it be to drive a tractor. so I push in the clutch just like grandpa had done a million times, Turn the key push the button pulled the throttle (I found that after I found it had no foot pedal) and it started, I let that clutch out it moved and I was hooked, holy smokes I could drive. I guess it didn't matter to me I drove though the side of the shed. That and I had no idea how to stop, I reach down and turned the key off, I have been hooked on anything with wheels and a engine ever since. Thanks Grandpa I never told anybody until now that you let me sit in your lap and steer the car and shift it. Thanks dad for telling me what you knew about cars, even if it wasn't very much.\

I went the model route also, always making changes, Then I started in a junk yard when I was 12, talked the owner into keeping some of the bodies to sell to hot rodders. I always had a end less supply.

Bob

Last edited by 35terraplane; 07-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
The good news is that we all like different things. If we didn't... there would be only one kind of car... with all of the details exactly the same! Wouldn't that be boring! No hot rods... no customs... no racers... no performance cars... and the new cars each year would be the same as every year before.

After working for hundreds of people, I don't worry any more about whether they want me to do what I like personally. Instead of that, I enjoy getting to do many different styles... (including factory restorations). A lot of people don't think about what good things being individuals does for us. :-)
I like the diversity - in cars and people! Lots of different cars and lots of different people - much more fun that way!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I can't remember any specific time that I wasn't interested in cars,, I grew up in a automotive family.. My dad owned a Chevrolet / Oldsmobile dealership from the time I was 8 or 9, probably around 10 or so my every waking hour(weekends) was at the dealership,, either cleaning up the cars on the used lot, ( this was in the early 50's ) so there was a lot of 30's 40s cars , The mechanic that was the service manager ( Mr nelson) that was in charge of the shop.. was in charge of keeping me busy doing something, and kinda took me under his wing ( he didn't have any kids of his own so I guess I acquired that spot with him) he was into dirt track racing,( jelopys) and moved up to outlaw sprints and modifieds later on. so I was loving every minute,, helping him. this went on until I finished HS and went into the navy, and not long after he was killed in a car wreck( not racing)
but the car bug had bit me really hard. and I just never recovered from playing with cars
I love the fabrication part the most, probably from working on his race cars and the ones I had as a teen ager, I had a pretty good selection of a lot of old cars that were in pretty good condition that had been traded in and wouldn't sell, so I cut up a bunch and ruined a few. but that's how we learn isn't it? I'm still cutting em up,, and still ruining a few of em....
Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

I just always could. I started building things with wood when I was three. Cars, wagons, scooters. Moving things, erector sets, Popular Mechanics and Popular Electronics. Couldn't read them but they had pictures. Apparently when I was around four or five I was observed by a team of sociologists (?) while I used my hands. Models , bicycles anything to take apart and rebuild. My father was a mechanic for the Navy and I helped him with our car maintenance. Did my first brake job when I was about eight. I read his Chilton Manuals and Hot Rod magazine. I just always could.

BB

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.