Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bizarre High RPM Lean... Why?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That does seem like a good possibility. I will admit the valvesprings on there may not be the best ones in the world, but they do hold the valve to the seat. I looked at the ignition when I had the cap and rotor off and made sure the magnetic pickups were clean and dust was clear of everything. Also, really noticed how nice the Pro Billet looked on the inside, especially since I am going to school to be a machinist, a gorgeous bit of work, but I digress...

Anyways, I went to see a friend of mine who is the auto shop teacher at the high school I went to. I had the car on a lift looking to see if I had any crushed or mangles fuel lines. I asked him what he would check and he asked if I had tried another carb. I told him I had thought of it, but didn't have another carb to try. He had another Q-jet that he had rebuilt for his Camaro, but it wound up with a holley leaving this perfectly fine Q-jet. Anyways, rapidly approaching race time, I threw it on thinking it would be better than the existing carb if it worked. It worked. No lean spot in high rpm, it is a bit rich and the idle circuits are not set up for my car, but it ran better than the one that was on there. The event got rained out (thankfully) so I have another week to tear my carb apart and go through it very thoroughly. When I took it apart the last time, I was looking for something obvious, and apparently something not so obvious is the culprit. Somehting must be hiding in the corners and making it not run right.

Time for a few hours with some compressed air, carb cleaner and a small brush. Here's hoping it runs like it did before this little gremlin popped up.

Also, about how many runs before a modest hydraulic cam with .500 lift and about 230 @ .050 needs new valvesprings?