Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bizarre High RPM Lean... Why?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The Edelbrock 1910, now out of production, is a 850 cfm Q-jet. It uses an electric choke. I bought the carb used for $25, new was somewhere around $500. It had been used for mainly propane before (figure that one), but had seen some gas through it. I pulled it apart when I got it to make sure it was clean. It was as if it had come right from the factory. I bolted it on the 350 that was in the car at the time, it was too much but it got me away from the electric q-jet that had defaulted to full rich mode. When I did the engine swap, the carb went on the 383 and ran like crazy with minimal adjustment (guess I got lucky!). It has run on the 383 since May of '05 and went that season and this season up until a week ago when it started to surge, you probably have read what I have done in a quest to make it right. I have not had time to dig into the carb today, yard sales, wedding receptions, blah blah blah.

I was talking to a friend of mine who works auto parts. He says he has seen a handfull of the edelbrock q-jets (including the 1910) come back with casting flaws that lead to a surging condition. I have no data to back up a complaint like that but I am searching to see if such a complaint has been documented or is known to exist. Just one more thing to look for when I pull the thing apart. I am guessing that a casting flaw such as that would be on the secondary side because I can run it up to 4500-5000 with no problemon the primaries, and nail the gas and have it surge with the secondaries opened up.

For now I have a borrowed Q-jet that mixes fuel (albeit not set up for my car), but it does not surge. I will let you know of my findings as soon as I can get the thing opened up.