Black or dark grey spot putty for wood, HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Black or dark grey spot putty, HELP!

Ok I need everybody's help. I am looking for a black or close to black two part polyester or epoxy spot filler or something that I could use as spot filler. It must be catalyst activated because I do not want it to shrink. I am looking to use it as grain filler in a wood project that I am doing. I know what you are thinking I need to go to a wood forum but the guys over there accept the little imperfections that are associated with finishing wood. I want to be able to lay day some heavy urethane and make it look like its a mile deep. Plus the guys that are on the wood working sites use water base or single stage and I have tested what they recommend and it shrinks. I'm working with mahogany and a black or dark gray would be great because after it was sanded smooth it would bring out the gain. I have tested JB weld and it does a great job but even the slower cure is a little too hard to work with as far as having enough time to smooth it out and work it into the grain. 3M Icing would be perfect if it came in black. I even tried coloring some with resin die. It took a considerable amount of die to kick it from the light blue to black and it thinned it out and caused it to take a much longer time setting up and it left it somewhat gummy. Anything that is catalyst activated (two part) and has the working ability of 3M Icing would do the trick.
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

sawdust, stain and wood glue?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

What I use is a putty stick ,they look like a crayon but are more like plastic ,you melt it with a micro torch and drip the colored plastic into the imperfection...its workable while its soft and very hard when its hard.They come in almost every color there is ...and many shades of mahogany...A furniture re-finisher is the only place to find them. If you cant find the exact color you can change the color of the work piece by setting it in the sun ,the sun lightens the color of mahogany considerably
Old 11-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
What I use is a putty stick ,they look like a crayon but are more like plastic ,you melt it with a micro torch and drip the colored plastic into the imperfection...its workable while its soft and very hard when its hard.They come in almost every color there is ...and many shades of mahogany...A furniture re-finisher is the only place to find them. If you cant find the exact color you can change the color of the work piece by setting it in the sun ,the sun lightens the color of mahogany considerably
Thanks Deadbodyman I'll give the putty sticks a try.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

Me and my partner figured it out!

Me and my partner figured it out! We applied JB weld to the bare wood surface and leveled it as good as we could with a squeegee. Then we wiped the whole area down with lacquerer thinner, wiping off the access before the JB set up. After it set up we sanded it smooth and it really looks good. Works great! With the epoxy you don't have to worry about shrinkage and the dark color of the JB adds a subtle contrast because all it does is fill in the little strips of grain. The problem with any kind of wood glue mixed with wood dust or the use of a single part grain filler is that both of these ways swell up when you pile on the clear. And then later after everything cures it shrinks in. Now I know a lot of people wouldn't worry about it because after all it's wood. But for a wood dash on a high end restoration, the person wants the wood to look like a piece of glass and I told him I could do it. Once again I put my foot in my mouth but this time I was able to get it back out. LOL

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 11-15-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You really got my interst now Chris, can you post some pics? I need some ideas for my dash...

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.