Black Engine Smoke when put to the Floor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2003, 09:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Black Engine Smoke when put to the Floor

1991 V-8/TPI Pontiac Formula, Engine is code an an F on ID, I paid an extra 1000$ when I ordered the car from the factory for this engine, can anybody tell me if there's anything special about this engine, I heard its an LT1 but I never heard of them put this type of engine into this year model. It has 2 cat verters. What does black smoke mean when I floor it down, I'm sure nothing good! How can I get rid of it,

Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

A LT1 wasn`t offered until 93. you likely have a L-98 option. black smoke indicates it`s running too rich, too much fuel, there are many things to check such as fuel pressure. have you replaced the Oxygen sensors? they can cause this also if they`ve never been changed. check the throttle position sensor, and make sure you have no exhaust leaks, any leak will let air into the system making the oxygen sensor think the engine is running too lean and is adding additional fuel. I`m sure there are other area`s to check, but I haven`t worked on one in a long time. good luck.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:47 PM
banned

Yes do what he said... O2 sensors sometimes get plugged... is your check engine light on? cuz sometimes an o2 sensor won't set it off..
Old 01-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[quote]Originally posted by stonedchihuahua:
<strong>Yes do what he said... O2 sensors sometimes get plugged... is your check engine light on? cuz sometimes an o2 sensor won't set it off..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Plugged? How about carbon fouled. I have heard you can blast them with a cutting torch and burn the carbon off to get them cleaned up and working again.

Chris

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: TurboS10 ]</p>
Old 01-19-2003, 01:42 PM

My check engine light isn't on, but it's been getting terrible gas mileage since this, never got more an 225 miles to a tank full, now it's more like 170,
Old 01-19-2003, 01:51 PM
banned

well yeah by plugged I basically ment covered in crap cuz I don't talk technical like you guys
Old 01-19-2003, 04:05 PM

If you have noticed a decline in fuel mileage, have you also noticed a drop in performance??? The car is in definite need of a good quality tune up. Poor mileage could be a couple of things, plugged fuel nozzles, timing, catalytic convertors to name a few. I would consider the new "high flow" cats on the market. They're cheaper than a factory unit and flow much better. But first, get a thorough tune up which should check exhaust gasses.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:58 PM
a red wool sock on his dinger

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by 91formula:
<strong>1991 V-8/TPI Pontiac Formula, Engine is code an an F on ID, I paid an extra 1000$ when I ordered the car from the factory for this engine, can anybody tell me if there's anything special about this engine, I heard its an LT1 but I never heard of them put this type of engine into this year model. It has 2 cat verters. What does black smoke mean when I floor it down, I'm sure nothing good! How can I get rid of it,

Jim</strong><hr></blockquote>

Other than a tune up, when you hammer the throttle
you're in open loop, as in there is no O2 correction
in the fuel map for the engine, so rich is good...
Old 01-19-2003, 06:40 PM

Gentlemen,

Got a new ox sensor, Tried to put it in with basic tools, should have known better, have to wait till get correct tool to get it out, anyway after I reconnected the wire I started it up and actually had oil blowing from the exhaust when I revved her up, any idea what thats from, I took her for a fast ride and it doesn't seem to smoke as much when opened up
Old 01-19-2003, 07:02 PM

The rings are shot, although I have never seen them bad enough to blow oil out the tailpipe. You must have a lead foot. The motor will need rebuilt.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:17 PM

the engine doesn't smoke like a car that needs new rings, by this I mean the light smoke that happens even at idle, it has 78,000 original miles and really I don't have a lead foot, I changed the oil started it up and revved it, noticed 2 black oil marks on the ground, have no loss off performance at all,
Old 01-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Are the black mmarks oil? I'm guessing they aren't, rather they are water soaked carbon which is nortmal in a rich running engine. Rule of thumb is black smoke means running rich, blue/white smoke is burning oil. From what you have said, I don't think you are burning oil, just running a little rich on your metering rods, assuming you have an Edelbrock or Q-Jet, or power valve if you have a Holley. Get a tuning book for your particular carb and dial it in for your specific application. If you have fuel injection, you need to do the same air/fuel ratio tuning but I don't have a clue how to do it in FI! Get a book.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:01 PM

Update: I finally broke down and took it to a dealer, I had the ox sensor replaced, mass sensor, replaced,they put it on a computer, and still they couldn't find the problem, they said that my 1/5 injectors were acting funny (maybe) but they couldn't guarentee that was the problem, since they couldn't find out the problem they really didn't charge me for much labor, does anybody have any other ideas,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.