Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Black moon discs? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/black-moon-discs-225944.html)

Ess El Emm 11-10-2012 03:44 PM

Black moon discs?

Hi everyone, I don't own a hotrod, but I'd like some help trying to find some hotrod parts.

I'm looking for some 16" moon discs that would snap onto a modern steel wheel. I'd like to find some painted black if possible. I'm not doing this for style, but rather for functionality. I have a set of snow tires on steel wheels that I put on my daily driver in the winter.

Right now the wheels have no hubcaps, but that leaves the half shaft nut on the front wheels exposed to the elements, and it is corroding. I tried some aftermarket wheel covers, but they broke pretty easily when I put them on (cheap plastic).

I take a lot of trips in this car, especially around the holidays, and I was thinking, why not throw some moon discs on there to protect the half shaft nuts and also help my highway fuel economy a little?

The thing is, I know a Mercury Milan would look atrocious with brushed stainless moon discs on it, but I don't think just a solid black disc would look too bad, if they make such a thing. It still wouldn't look great, but the whole car looks pretty awful when it's covered in road salt all winter, so if it gets me a little better mileage, I wouldn't care.

Does anyone make anything like this, and if so, is it so expensive that it would probably negate the small amount that it would save me on fuel?

techinspector1 11-10-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess El Emm (Post 1609643)
Right now the wheels have no hubcaps, but that leaves the half shaft nut on the front wheels exposed to the elements, and it is corroding.

Your local supermarket or Walmart or whatever, has small clear plastic bowls, about the size of a coffee cup. Leave 'em clear or spray paint 'em any color you want to on the inside, then glue 'em on with RTV so that no moisture can get to the nuts. Total cost, probably less than 5 bucks. You may even have some in your kitchen that would work.

poncho62 11-10-2012 04:48 PM

I would just paint the end of the axle stub and nut...

techinspector1 11-10-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62 (Post 1609664)
I would just paint the end of the axle stub and nut...

Too easy and not as attractive as Tupperware. :boxing: :eek: :thumbup:

lakeroadster 11-10-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1609663)
Your local supermarket or Walmart or whatever, has small clear plastic bowls, about the size of a coffee cup. Leave 'em clear or spray paint 'em any color you want to on the inside, then glue 'em on with RTV so that no moisture can get to the nuts. Total cost, probably less than 5 bucks. You may even have some in your kitchen that would work.

:spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:: spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::s pank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::sp ank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spa nk::spank::spank::spank::thumbup:

techinspector1 11-10-2012 09:06 PM

OUCHHHHHHHHHHHH, ok, I get it.....:welcome:

Ess El Emm 11-11-2012 04:55 PM

Yeah, not a fan of gluing things to my wheels. Perhaps painting the axle stub is the best solution. The steel wheel is probably fairly aerodynamic on its own. Even a cheap ebay set of snap-on moon discs are still $90. I doubt that I would ever save enough gas with them to be able to make up the cost.

AutoGear 11-12-2012 08:21 AM

You could get the original style moondiscs and screw them to the rim. LOL

I live in the northeast and this is why I go to the junkyard and get a set of junk rims to mount my snowtires on. Try not to get rims that have a 'Spoke' design or large open spaces in the rim face; while they look cool, they will let a lot of snow and salt get packed behind them...no good

I bet if you looked around at the junkyard or on the craigs; you could get a 2nd set of rims cheap. Remember things like tire pressure monitors. If you buy a rim and tire package from Tirerack, the sensors are extra $

OneMoreTime 11-12-2012 10:16 AM

Back in the day we just cut a disk of metal and screwed them to the rim with small sheet metal screws..of course guys liked the look so Moon came out with some aftermarket disks..Not sure where any larger than 15 inch could be found..

Sam