Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Black over black and the rust comes back
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
The floor pans were new replacement pans installed in 2006 they were E coated from the factory and then the black MCU painted over it. Back to the original question should you leave that e coat on them, or should you strip them, acid wash and then prime them?In my opinion don't take chances that there may be rust under that Ecoat especially with body panels.
I am with you Pat, but the junk pretend "E-coat" (faux-coat ) applied over cheap bare mild steel at some overseas plant is a hell of a lot different than REAL "E-coat" Electrophoretic coating that is applied on OEM parts that are even galvanized before the e-coat! Every single part of every single car made the last number of decades is galvanized, fenders, frames, everything!

To tell people to remove E-coat is going WAY over the top in my opinion.

Now, I want to learn something, this interests me, if some cheap primer is over a flash rusted piece of mild steel floor pan and THEN it's fully coated with an epoxy primer, then urethane automotive 2K paint, how does it BEGIN to rust if it is COMPLETELY covered? Let's for the sake of discussion there are no chips or thin spots or anything like that, because THAT is where it going to start. But let's say there is nothing like that. The epoxy primer is a full 3mils and the paint is 4mils, fully applied over the entire piece. How can it rust?

Brian