Black paint, fine scratches and swirls, HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Black paint, fine scratches and swirls, HELP!

Im needing some real help tryin to get the scratches and swirls out of my truck.. Its an 04 silverado. Its factory black,, But it just seems to be getting more and more and more scractches on it.. And ive made it worse by goin through automatic car washes.. It looks in the sun like ive drivin through about 10 million spider webs... Ive never had it detailed, cuz im scared of someone else workin on it and makin it worse... But i have tried waxing it with meguires several times.. But even after wax,, it almost looks worse in the sun than it did when i started...? what gives?? ive tried meguires scratch ex, and nu finish scratch remover,, and others.. And meguires liquid wax... Ive always done everything practically by hand,, ive tried those cheep orbital buffer things you can buy anywhere,, but they are POS. They arent any better than doin it all by hand.... no matter what i do,, nothing ive tried seems to do a bit of good.. I went out just a sec ago,, put some meguires scratch ex on a small part, maybe one square foot,, rubbed it until it was almost gone,, then wiped it off, and tried buffing by hand,, You couldnt even tell i did anything.. still looks the same.. whats the deal? what do i need to do to bring back the shine, and get rid of these friggin scatches? Someone tell me, what i need to buy, where i can get it. what i need to use, how i need to use it.. I wanna make it look better. Seems like ever truck ive seen that someone tried to have it detailed,, just looks aweful.. Even right out of the body shop,, they look aweful,, i had to have minor body work done on mine once,, and the spot they had to fix,, now has swirl marks in it.. WHAT THE HELL! what do i need to do? HELP ME! thanks

Last edited by Lthompson; 01-19-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Last photo:

Sounds like your truck needs to be color sanded and buffed out by a professional. If it's as bad as you describe it, that is what needs to be done and hope you still have enough clear to accomplish it. Black is a %itch to get swirl marks out of, most swirl mark removers are just fillers that only last until you wash it next time.

A little tip: Never run your vehicle through an automatic car wash, that is the worse thing you can do to it.

Vince
Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 PM

i don't know how deep the sctarches are but i had a friend of mine scratch the crap out of my car with a california waterblade--he just drug dirt all the way down the hood and trunk area---anyway, it had some pretty deep scratches...like deep enough to catch my fingernail when i "touch tested" the car. To get them out, i washed off the remaining wax, re-washed the car, put on a 3 stage pollish (blackfire), used an electric buffer to really work it into the scratches, then waxed it again (blackfire) and also used an electric buffer for that...you wanna talk about a scratch free black car?! it took me and a buddy a lil over 4 hours to complete the job...but it cleaned up nice. I don't know however if that was just a temporary fix or if the scratches will fill in a little bit more everytime i try that until they are gone...but reguardless, it took the scratches out and made the car look flawless. hope this helped you a little.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:16 PM

i had the same problem with an 02 galant that was black at work wat you need to do is first wash the truck very well then find a good buffer a dewalt or makita not a cheapy they wont work, then go to the local paint store and buy 1 wool pads and an eggcrate pad or 2 eggcrate foam buffing pads(these work best for the inexperinced person, because if not careful and using a wool pad you will burn the paint and make it worst)then buy an aggresive buffing compound such as 3m final cut(personal favorite) and a meguires swirl remover 2.0n buff the whole truck with the final cut then when satisfied with the shine, there will still be scratches but less, change to your other eggcrate pad and rebuff the entire truck with the swirl remover until all the scratches are gone and wax with presta fast wax and you should have a show room shiny scratch free truck and the biggest thing for the whole job is take you time dont rush

a side note you mentioned that when you wax the truck the scratches look worst this is b/c you are filling all of the scratches with wax and when you wipe off the wax the wax stays in the scratches and dries to a white color which will stick right out especially on black
Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

You're going to have to remove them scratches with a good polish. 3M's tried and true Finesse-it II would work just fine by hand or with a foam buffing pad. Then buy yourself some Zaino and follow the instructions.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

I take it you cant get that kind of stuff at an oreily's or something right? What is Blackfire? I think what really made it the worst was runnin it through the auto car wash... The truck is an 04 regency rst. So its not been offroad or has any kind of deep scratches in it really,, just some swirl and car wash scratches. Truck looks real good in the shade and such,, but when the sun hits it just right,, all the really fine scratches and such really stand out. Where can i get a makita polisher or whatever? whats it called? I think what im gonna try,, is get a polisher,, get some type of a real fine polish compound, or something of the sort, and whatever pads i need.,, and start lightly to see what happens,, i dont wanna do more than i need... So what would be a good starting compound that i wont make it worse than it already is with, and see if i can get the results i need from minimal work? i know i need something slightly abrasive to actually smooth the surface rather than just a regular wax or swirl remover.. Would the 3M final cut be too abrasive to start with? Like i said, im wantin minimal abrasion to start with to see what kind of results i can get.. what should i wash it and wipe it down with before i start this process.. and what should i dry it with? ive tried chamois alot,, but everything i ever try just leaves water streaks instead of water spots... any help is greatly appreciated.....
Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

Try a small area with a little corn starch mixed into a slightly runny mud and a real soft cloth. Smear it around and let dry. Buff off with a real soft cloth .Use filtered compressed air to blow it off.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Last photo:

Anything you use, you are in for far more work than you think.

Vince
Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 AM

blackfire is just a company that makes car care kits and stuff like that which include everything from wheel and tire shine to clay bars and window cleaners. all of the kits components can also be bought seperately...heres their website..

http://www.blackfireusa.com/index.html

as far as washing anddrying. i use a 5 gallon bucket filled about halfway with water and i put a few squirts of dish soap..like dawn or whatever you happen to use..in there and then i use a car wash mit (its like an oven mit with basically shag carpet on the outside)(i got those at advanced discount auto parts)....after you wet the car, just stick the mit in the soapy water and run it over the car....as you begin drying you will notice the previous wax coating solitifying into a white substance...just wipe it away with a cotton cloth or towel. for drying, i use a chamois...i have a chamois that is like sewn around a large sponge so i take that and wipe the car down and when the sponge fulls up with water, i just ring it out and fill it up again.
after you wash it, do the polish and then the wax...all the necessary tools (like pads, cloths, etc.) is on the website above. hope this helped a little
Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Check this site HERE You'll find real good info on detailing out a black ride. Here is one thread on black THIS ONE HERE Some of (most of) the ones on that site do fantastic work. Those guys can take something that looks like trash and turn it back into treasure. They have a pretty good forum and I imagine ant questions you have, they would answer.

Last edited by Kevin45; 01-20-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

wax on ... wax off

schiznit--->http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T37.../dp/B00062ZJ4O

Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
You're going to have to remove them scratches with a good polish. 3M's tried and true Finesse-it II would work just fine by hand or with a foam buffing pad. Then buy yourself some Zaino and follow the instructions.

I agree.
However, I have never had any luck with the foam buffing pads.
I use a Schlegel wool pad with the Finesse-It and have always had excellent results.

Beware though, if you have never used a buffer with a wool pad, you need to practice on something. If you grab an edge with the pad, you can go right through the paint in an instant.
Always make sure of your spin direction when you are buffing near the edges.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

doing a truck or even a compact by hand is going to be tough.

Here is one of the better how too's for hand
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=7011

This is what I use to remove swirls

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=2965

on real bad paint a rotory buffer and sometimes a color sand is the only way.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

I have a black Galaxie, I use 'Jax Wax' .com ,products. he is local in Cols,Oh. but go online or Jegs. Big write-up in most car mags. He detailed cars for 20yrs. Now his own products,(and others).... Dave

Last edited by chuckles0; 01-23-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56ford
blackfire is just a company that makes car care kits and stuff like that which include everything from wheel and tire shine to clay bars and window cleaners. all of the kits components can also be bought seperately...heres their website..

http://www.blackfireusa.com/index.html

as far as washing anddrying. i use a 5 gallon bucket filled about halfway with water and i put a few squirts of dish soap..like dawn or whatever you happen to use..in there and then i use a car wash mit (its like an oven mit with basically shag carpet on the outside)(i got those at advanced discount auto parts)....after you wet the car, just stick the mit in the soapy water and run it over the car....as you begin drying you will notice the previous wax coating solitifying into a white substance...just wipe it away with a cotton cloth or towel. for drying, i use a chamois...i have a chamois that is like sewn around a large sponge so i take that and wipe the car down and when the sponge fulls up with water, i just ring it out and fill it up again.
after you wash it, do the polish and then the wax...all the necessary tools (like pads, cloths, etc.) is on the website above. hope this helped a little
I always use this in the bottom of my wash bucket:

where I bought mine

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.