Blast cabinet item from HF - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blast cabinet item from HF

I thought this looked like a good deal and a very useful item but I have not tried it yet, probably will pick one up this weekend if they have it at the store. They have a 20% off coupon right now and this looks like a neat gadget to spend it on.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=94275

Here is the printable Coupon if anyone is interested.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...9&keycode=0000

BTW, don't know why they don't list the price of that recovery unit at that link but it is $99.99.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Eschew Cowards

Might I ask, just what do you anticipate that device will do?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzę
Might I ask, just what do you anticipate that device will do?
I'll bet you if you click on the link Red provided, you will figure this out all by yourself.................
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Eschew Cowards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I'll bet you if you click on the link Red provided, you will figure this out all by yourself.................
Oddly, the funny thing is I did click that link, and I read all the information provided there by HF, and then I asked the question. The question remains unanswered.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Mini cyclone..the shape gives it away..

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Sam
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I'm a bit with Franz. The description on the HF site is pretty limited...and the picture is quite deceiving. The thing looks quite small, but in fact here are the dimensions:

115 volt, 1380 watt; Media capacity: approximately 7 liters; Tank size: 10'' diameter x 28-1/2'' H; Hose size: 8 ft. x 2'' diameter.
Weight: 33 lbs.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the picture does not show the unit fully installed...isn't there an exhaust hose somewhere? As I understand, this sucks out the particles and fines from the air as you exhaust it from your blast cabinet. And then (again I'm assuming here) the "clean air" is either vented or run back into the cabinet.

Hopefully Old Red has his by now and he can fully describe it.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

Maybe I should have offed an explanation but I assumed everyone would know what it is. Here is Eastwood's version, they explain it a little better.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ProductID=5181

Basically it replaces a shop vac which most of us use but it works a lot quieter is more efficient. The two I saw (both Eastwood items) belong to the same guy who has them mounted to both of his cabinets, one a large cabinet with Aluminum Oxide abrasive and the other a smaller unit with glass beads. These things work extremely well but for the Eastwood price I figured I would just continue to use my shop vac, but then I saw the HF version and figured it worth a try so I thought I would get some opinions on it from you guys.

If they have one in stock I will stop by and get it tonight and we will find out how well it works.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Keep us posted. I've tried a couple of different ways to vent my cabinet and I'm not very satisfied with any of them. So I'll be interested in hearing how this works.

If anyone has used one for an extended period of time, that input would be very helpful in terms of "reviewing" this product. Sometimes HF stuff works pretty good out of the box but doesn't last al that long. So durability would be a question on this one.

And am I correct, Old Red, that this unit would have an exhaust hose to vent to the outside (or back into the cabinet)?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Eschew Cowards

Where oh where did my sliderule go?
Lets see now, nom6cfm@90psi drops to Xcfm@ atmousphere into A x B x C containment/ no dust supresion devices + no containment dump to atmousphere - no hopper baffel + high veloscity airstream mandate from engineering = ???? x # civil engineers ==

Hey, don't forget to buy the extended warranty. I hear that Harbor Fright is real good at honoring those. Gosh, it's even coated with plastic for rust supression. What a deal.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

More sarcasm I assume?

Franz why don't you hang around a while and get to know everyone a little better so you will know what we are about instead of just blindly jumping in and criticizing everything. If you had been around here long enough to know you would find that for the most part we are just hobbyists and a lot of the things we use don't need to be top quality, as for HF a lot of their stuff certainly is junk but a lot of it is a real bargain for our needs. If you knew me well enough you would know that I have said several times HF items can be a crap shoot and trying new items from them is sort of a game I play, if it works good I will say so and if it is a piece of crap I will just throw it away, laugh about it and tell about that too!

To get a little better acquainted, I am retired from running a welding and mine equipment repair/rebuilding shop for about 35 years and I work only for a hobby now. When I ran my shop I used top-of-the-line tools from Snap-On, Proto, Lincoln and Victor just to name a few and tool shaped gadgets from a place like HF had no place at all there. Even now I strongly recommend to anyone who is planing to use their tools to make a living to avoid the "econo" junk at all costs and invest in the best tools they can buy. The same may not be necessary for the hobbyist however, as an example does it REALLY make sense to spend $400 for, for instance, a Jackson welding helmet when the HF version will work just fine for about 50 bucks? Some items from HF, like that welding helmet, do work really good and are dependable whether you want to believe it or not and can be a real bargain for someone working on a tight budget. Another example is the metal cutting bandsaw I bought 7 years ago for $159.00 that I use on almost a full time basis, just this week I used it to cut two pieces of 4 1/2" diameter 4130 bar and this thing is every bit as accurate as the $2000.00 saw I had in my shop but just a little slower. I also recently, well last year, bought a porta-band power hacksaw form them and after replacing the blade with a Morse this thing too has turned out to be a brute and is serving me well, the cost with a discount coupon was only about $60.00! The 4 1/2" angle grinders they have (the Orange ones) have developed a VERY good reputation and one of them that I have is nearly as old as that saw and has worn out a bunch of discs with zero problems. I could go on and on but the point is that for the hobbyist some of this stuff is worth looking into if you know what works and what doesn't and for me, as I said, it is just a game anyway and I certainly have gotten some lemons there too. After I get that blast cabinet vac I will then know if it works and if it doesn't then we will know that too but you obviously don't know any more about it at this point than I do so how can you be so critical about something you have never even seen?

Like I said hang around a while and get to know everyone a little better, you just might find that we are not a bunch of greenhorns.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Lets see now, nom6cfm@90psi drops to Xcfm@ atmousphere into A x B x C containment/ no dust supresion devices + no containment dump to atmousphere - no hopper baffel + high veloscity airstream mandate from engineering = ???? x # civil engineers ==

Hey, don't forget to buy the extended warranty. I hear that Harbor Fright is real good at honoring those. Gosh, it's even coated with plastic for rust supression. What a deal.
Franz, you're working yourself into a suspension. I P.M.ed you a week or so ago, thanking you for keeping a discussion civil with the soda blasting post, now it seems to me that you just like to piss people off. Red has been here a very long time, has earned the respect of ALL members that know of him. I suggest you try to do the same. I like to give folks a chance to show their true colors, feel free to show us yours. This is in your court now.

Dan
Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Eschew Cowards

You know Dan, there really isn't anything I can do about you choosing to suspend me.
Fact is, should you decide to go that way, I won't loose anything, I'll gain time I spend here trying to pass knowledge along to people who choose to resist gaining knowledge.

There is an ancient Turk proverb it would well benefit yo to know.
An honest man who speaks the truth shall be driven from 9 villages.

Truly I have no need to impart knowledge to those who wish to reinvent the wheel, and little patience with those who refuse to learn. I have absolutely no desire to take long hor showers with any of you either.

What you chose to read into my posts is your problem, not mine. I know of what I speak. Youcan learn it easily or hard at cost.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Well for those who might contemplate buying the TP vac35 dust collection system, which appears to be the same basic setup as the Eastwood item that Oldred linked to above, but with a different case, I will say I was dissapointed. I hooked mine up to my blast cabinet and even though it's rated at 70-80 cfm (close to the Eastwood item), it doesn't work any better than a shop vac in getting dust out of the cabinet or keeping it in the secondary filter. The TP dust collector is NOT a cyclone seperator. It does not appear that the Eastwood unit is either.

http://www.tptools.com/p/2322,15_Vac...um-System.html

Franz...explain how the following statement is educational.

Quote:
I understand the principle of the cyclone separator, those things are on the back of most every big dust producing commercial shop in California...I know the production surfboard fin shop in La Selva beach installed those cyclone units (although much larger) outside their composite grinding rooms and saw their dust problems disappear.. And they emptied huge bags of very fine dust from them at the end of every week .

Maybe if you actually explained that maybe the proportions were an issue, or the airflow through the unit or possibly the helix angle of the baffle as it relates to the density of the dust being spun out and collected or anything instead of just whipping out some equation and saying that engineering is necessary.
Or you could even have just pointed to another site that would clarify the inner workings of a cyclone separator so that people could read and learn.....your posts would not NEED to be READ into, and the folks here would actually BENEFIT from a post like that, instead of viewing them as sarcastic criticism....Maybe if you spelled the terms correctly we'd be inclined agree that you know of what you speak...

What is better? You say you know of what you speak, but don't seem to want to share much of it here beyond the criticism of a particular brand...

That website that One More Time linked to has a wealth of technical information about cyclone separators.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 04-11-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Eschew Cowards

Quote:
Franz...explain how the following statement is educational.

I understand the principle of the cyclone separator, those things are on the back of most every big dust producing commercial shop in California...I know the production surfboard fin shop in La Selva beach installed those cyclone units (although much larger) outside their composite grinding rooms and saw their dust problems disappear.. And they emptied huge bags of very fine dust from them at the end of every week .

Maybe if you actually explained that maybe the proportions were an issue, or the airflow through the unit or possibly the helix angle of the baffle as it relates to the density of the dust being spun out and collected or anything instead of just whipping out some equation and saying that engineering is necessary.
Or you could even have just pointed to another site that would clarify the inner workings of a cyclone separator so that people could read and learn.....your posts would not NEED to be READ into, and the folks here would actually BENEFIT from a post like that, instead of viewing them as sarcastic criticism....Maybe if you spelled the terms correctly we'd be inclined agree that you know of what you speak...

What is better? You say you know of what you speak, but don't seem to want to share much of it here beyond the criticism of a particular brand...

That website that One More Time linked to has a wealth of technical information about cyclone separators.

Later, mikey
It's not my statement, how does it fall to me to explain?

I suggest you go back to my original posting in this thread. The question still remains unanswered.

My experience is that it is counterproductive to the learning process to be talking when the instructor is teaching. I have already answered most of the questions in this thread elsewhere, and see little point to repeating myself. I also see little point to people who know far less than I do about a subject pissin on my boots, and attempting to taunt me. Ergo, I'll just refrain from linking you to most of the information you seek.
Have a nice day. Happy Easter. May the force be with you.
Write if you find work, and don't forget to mail your mother a few dollars!

Last edited by schnitz; 04-11-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
My experience is that it is counterproductive to the learning process to be talking when the instructor is teaching.

Therein lies the problem, who invited you to be the instructor? You sure seem to want to think of yourself as the instructor.

It's a shame really because you seem to be knowledgeable enough but you tend to hide it behind sarcasm and total disdain for others. If you were as smart as you seem to think you are you would understand that there is simply no way you are going to change any of the things about the world that obviously annoy you by coming here and constantly spouting off about it. Maybe you don't like the way business is being conducted these days or all the imported goods but do you honestly think coming here and whining about it to us is going to change anything? In spite of what you apparently believe there are some very intelligent and educated people here who make a lot better impression and come across as being a hell of a lot smarter than you and they can get a point across by explaining in a civilized manner, not by criticizing and belittling.

Last edited by oldred; 04-11-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.