Hot Rod Forum banner

Blast cabinet media relaimer

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  F1 Owner 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Can someone point me to a detailed description (or pics) of a shop vac based media recycler? My wife gave me a HF free standing blast cabinet for our 37th anniversary,(what a gal) and I thought I would use my el Cheapo shop vac as a reclaimer instead of actually BUYING a reclaimer . Thanks in advance !!

#2 ·
I wouldn't use a shop vac. The fine grit will eat it up in short order. I bought a dust collector motor from HF and hooked it up through a filter box I made from a couple of kitty litter buckets and a shop vac filter. The dust collecter has a better impeller that won't be affected by the grit.
Mark

Reactions: F1 Owner
#3 ·
the media is recycled in the blast cabinet by falling to the bottom.
the typical dust collection system pulls air out of the cabinet high up just so you can see what your blasting.
yes it also filters the fines out from the air, but not well, that's why we change media.
shop vacs are cheap, my neighbor has had the same shop vac on his for years.
use a shop vac

#4 ·
media reclaimer

Thanks for the posts guys. I guess I should have explained myself better.Harbor Freight calls their bolt on attachment a"Reclaimer", that's what I based my question on. What I want is a DUST REMOVER using my shop vac. When I was in the last shop I worked at,( 10 yrs. ago) one of the guys rigged up a filter of sorts by using a 5 gal. bucket that had water in it to grab the dust as we blasted. Unfortunately the shop is long gone, and I can't track down the guy that built the filter.(I can't remember exactly how it was set up) ANY descriptions, with pics, or any links that someone has would be really appreciated. I looked at the Homebuilt tools forum, and I must be missing it somehow. Thanks again, Rick

#5 ·
Tonight I'll try to get some pics of the filter I built. Like Ogre said a cheap shop vac will probably do the job. I have about a hundred bucks into this set-up (cost of the HF dust collector motor and some flex tube).
Mark

Reactions: F1 Owner
#6 ·
I use cheap "garage sale" shop vacs. Put a homade catcher in the system. Made from a chunk of 3" PVC pipe with a piece of drilled 1 1/4" PVC thru the center. The fines settle thru the holes in the center tube and I unscrew the service plug in the end to empty the powder out. Keeps the old shop vacs running for quite a while..:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.