Blasting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Blasting

I don't mean to bring up old topics, but I'm very confused on this soda,sand, media blasting. I want a blaster that I can do a car or truck in a fair amount of time and not take forever to do. But I have no idea on what kind of blaster I need or media to use or anything, the more I look the more confused I get. I know sand is bad for warpage, and very harmful, soda seemed to be great, but there seems to be many afterward procedures to clean the metal plus it leaves it smooth, so you have to sand it slightly to get primer, filler, etc to stick that it don't seem cheap, and I heard using bead, walnut shells, some oxid stuff, but I don't know what to use or a very great blaster. So if yall could point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

The very FIRST thing you need is an air compressor big enough to support a sand blaster. Sand is used everyday to blast car bodies. The key is knowing what you are doing. The other medias would probably work better for an inexperienced blaster, but the are WAY more expensive.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I like the #60 regular kiln dried sand for most tasks..
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

The type of media is only one part of the equation when it comes to warpage, the procedure is just as important. If you intend on doing it yourself do a lot of research on the procedure & you'll have less chance of warpage & most likely save yourself some time in the stripping process as well. Also consider if your compressor is powerful enough to provide the volume & pressure you'll need. A typical 5 or 10hp home compressor won't do the job in a timely manor.
No matter what media you use I'd always recommend sanding it & cleaning it before filler or primer. Don't cut that corner, it's not worth it. Adhesion is always best when you follow the paint manufacturers recommendations. I could be incorrect but I do not know any paint manufacturer who says it is OK to go over a media blasted area without sanding.
Best of luck in your project
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

All it takes is money. Unless you are going to be doing several vehicles, it will probably be cheaper in the long run to have a pro do it. As stated earlier, you need a compressor that will handle the job. Then you need the blasting unit itself. Make sure you have a top quality respirator, especially with sand. Finally, you will need either a lot of media, or a way to recycle the media.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

These wiki articles may be helpful to you:

Media blasting
Soda blasting
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks guys. I plan on probably getting a double stage stand up air compressor, so that should take care of the air useage. What blasting unit yall use? Brand? Model? And any tips on using sand to keep panels, etc from warping? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

As already mentioned here, are you only blasting one car? If so, check prices of having it done.It WILL be cheaper than buying the equipment. The good thing about going ahead and buying the equipment is, now you will have a compressor that will handle ANY of the work on the rest of the car(sanding/painting, ect..). And if you don't need the blaster after, you can sell and get most of your money back on it. You willhave to sift your sand if you buy regular dry sand. There is no consistancy in it. You will end up with rocks and all kinds of stuff that will plug the blaster. You can buy sandblaster sand either by the bag, or if your lucky, in bulk by the ton. Problem with that is you HAVE to have a dry place to store it. When you blast, DO NOT blast straight on the panel. You have to blast at an angle and MOVE. staying in one place to long is what causes the heat and warps the panel. And use only enough air to do the job. But you are going to have to buy all of this and set it up. THEN practice on scrap sheet metal to get a feel of it. If you don't know what you are doing, you can ruin a panel REAL QUICK. And sand DOES leave a surface that is ready for epoxy primer. Just clean it and shoot, you don't have to sand first.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Oh yeah. I have a hundred pound pressure pot and it works great. I had to do a few modifications like buy a longer blast hose, because mine was way to short. Had to move the pot all the time.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
Sorry guys, I am going a different direction with my suggestions.

People do "sand blast" car bodies without destroying them. People also perform open heart surgery without killing the patient. But I know of no one who is capable of pulling off the heart surgery and I am not going to take the chance myself.

Sand blasting car bodies is VERY difficult. I am not talking about what I can do, can I sand blast sheet metal without warping? Yes I have done it, not very big pieces though. Could I do a hood or door, maybe. Oh yeah, we aren't talking about ME, we are talking about YOU. Being I don't know YOU and YOUR skills and understanding I am going to warn you NOT to sand blast your sheetmetal.

One huge misconception (even among those who "know" what they are doing) is that the warpage is caused by "heat". Sorry, couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, sand blast paint off a piece of metal and then quickly feel the metal, it is COOLER than the surrounding metal. You have been blowing cold air on it, so of course it is COOLER. The metal warps due to the pieces of sand acting like little hammers pushed the surface of the metal around "enlarging" the surface while the underlying metal stays the same, thus making the metal "warp". If you want to study this read up on "shot peening" connecting rods, the same thing occurs there.

If you do some searches for threads such as "how do I fix warped panels?" or "Sandblasting warped my door" or something you will find TONS of them. I have seen threads on forums since the first day I got my computer over a decade ago. People who RUINED their cars, their precious classic, RUINED. Some of the stories have made me sick. I remember one was a very early Bronco that was mint with no filler, no rust, a super nice car and it was DESTROYED by sand blasting.

The damage sand blasting causes isn't that "Darn I screwed up and now I have to fix this" sort of damage. It is more like "$%#@, I RUINED MY DOOR AND HAVE TO THROW IT OUT" sort of damage.

I don't recommend it, there are many other ways to get that paint off. Before you jump into this think about it A LOT.

Brian
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM

I plan on doing more cars and trucks with it. And alright, what kind of safety equipment and is there anything extra I need, like a building with dryer lines, fans, etc? And I been doing more reading, and soda seems to be pretty good too. You have to pressure wash with water, and it cleans it is what I read. I found soda media at harbor freight for $35 for a 50 lbs bag. How long does a usual bag last, I know it depends on the layers of paint, etc. I'm working on cars from the 30's-50's mostly, then some from 60's-70's, but most the ones I have are rusted.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks Brian, and yeah, I'm just checking around to see what the best method is, I can sand and sand on a car and get it done, but it takes a while, I just been seeing if there is an alternative with this blasting, or if I'm just being too crazy lol.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM

http://www.chesapeakesodaclean.com/m...aint-Strip.pdf

This is a very neat article on soda blasting, basically it just seems that you need to pressure wash, preferably with Holdtight and then of course your sanding. Any comments for soda? I also seen this video on youtube from Eastwood company, and they have this soda media with aluminum oxide in it for the deeper rust, and some of their blasters, can be used for soda and media, they even come with the converstion kit.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1994
Thanks Brian, and yeah, I'm just checking around to see what the best method is, I can sand and sand on a car and get it done, but it takes a while, I just been seeing if there is an alternative with this blasting, or if I'm just being too crazy lol.

Thank you very much for not beating me up. I understand aren't a newbe or something like that. Just general information is to anyone reading is what I am after. Not REALLY knowing ones skills that is all I can do.

Thanks again.

Brian
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1994
http://www.chesapeakesodaclean.com/m...aint-Strip.pdf

This is a very neat article on soda blasting, basically it just seems that you need to pressure wash, preferably with Holdtight and then of course your sanding. Any comments for soda? I also seen this video on youtube from Eastwood company, and they have this soda media with aluminum oxide in it for the deeper rust, and some of their blasters, can be used for soda and media, they even come with the converstion kit.
This is another issue that can get real sticky. Study sodablasting and the need to neutralize before priming. I have seen a paint job right down to primer peel off a car like a big sticker do to not preparing the metal properly after sodablasting.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.