Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Blasting cabinet (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/blasting-cabinet-126993.html)

pepi 10-25-2007 09:54 AM

Blasting cabinet

Question for anyone who is using or owns a blasting cabinet. What have you learned and if you were to purchase one today what would are the options you might consider when comparing the product of the different manufactures. Compressor size not in the mix, that is covered. Not looking for industrial strength, the largest piece would be wheels, drums and general suspension parts. Another question is the media, what would be the best all around type, long lasting, not effected by moisture to be used on alum and steel..? thanks in advance.

pepi 10-25-2007 12:41 PM

bump twice

jdss 10-25-2007 08:49 PM

get a pressure feed unit

oldred 10-25-2007 10:26 PM

Pepi, I will help keep you at the top anyway. :) This is a darn good question and I hope you get more answers but since I use a home built cabinet I can't really comment on that part. As for the media IMO there is no one media for everything and so ease of changing it out would be of a concern. Examples would be you would want glass beads for Aluminum but that would be next to useless for even lightly rusty steel parts, for which Aluminum Oxide would probably be best but then that would not be used on Aluminum!

wildthing 10-25-2007 10:45 PM

when at carlisle pa. for the fall flea market. i came across a blast cabinet that folds up when not in use. called a blast away cabinet , looked very interesting. iam thinking it was like 238 $ i have their pamplet with their phone number it anyone is interested.

1ownerT 10-26-2007 06:03 AM

I want the plans for the one in this thread, http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sand...asting+Cabinet
post #8.
I've PM'd the poster but never got a response.

pepi 10-26-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldred
Pepi, I will help keep you at the top anyway. :) This is a darn good question and I hope you get more answers but since I use a home built cabinet I can't really comment on that part. As for the media IMO there is no one media for everything and so ease of changing it out would be of a concern. Examples would be you would want glass beads for Aluminum but that would be next to useless for even lightly rusty steel parts, for which Aluminum Oxide would probably be best but then that would not be used on Aluminum!

very good, this is the type of information I can use and learn from. I go with the idea there is no one size fits all and having the input helps. I will be sure to plan on having a couple of different medias on hand. Thanks to the others for your input and will use your comments to make a decision. Eastwood seems to have a good selection and the prices are right.. Is a dust collector a good idea, and can a shop vac be used as a dust collector? I thought that a blast cabinet would be pressure fed by design..

jdss 10-26-2007 01:44 PM

On most of the cabinets the sand is syphon feed.

Youngster 10-26-2007 02:59 PM

Blasting cabinet

I built a small one that works fine for small pieces. When I have something large to blast, I use a card board box ( called a gaylord ) on my saw horses and a siphon set up that you can buy anywhere for about ten bucks. Works just fine. One thing I would strongly advise is to buy a blasting hood and a hooded shirt. That stuff gets every where!

Youngster

oldred 10-26-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepi
Is a dust collector a good idea, and can a shop vac be used as a dust collector?.

A dust collector is a necessity and a shop vac works quite well for that.

Sanctifier 10-26-2007 06:01 PM

Not much I can say about ease of use but I can say... "Don't Buy New." eBay is the ONLY way to go. Look up Surplus Supply stores and keep "lurking" for as long as it takes. I had to wait for over three months but $499... instead of $1,100, for an UNUSED Cyclone, was worth it IMHO.

IMHO look for a "clam-shell" + side-door... and at least 40-48" x 48."

UNUSED Cyclone Sandblast Cabinet & Dust Collector
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/146...binet02kj9.jpg
............ New = $1,100 US... SALE = $499 US

BTW the advice above about buying a "Pressure" unit instead of "Syphon-type" is great too.
Yup... I got an UNUSED Maxus 125 lb. Pressure blaster on eBay for less than 1/3 retail too ($125.)
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1...sfd1ny5.th.jpg
NOTHING beats a good eBay deal IMHO. :thumbup:

Then you can use the pressure pot with the cabinet instead of just having slower, less powerful syphon-feed... and the pressure-pot is MOBILE for bigger jobs as well. IMHO ADD extra back walls to the cabinet if you're unsure of gauge thickness and strength for some media like steel shot (maybe for Shot-peening OEM con-rods?)

My $0.02

pepi 10-26-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdss
On most of the cabinets the sand is syphon feed.

I did not notice any specs pointing that out so I will take a second look thanks... All right another use for the shop vac.

oldred 10-27-2007 09:47 AM

Look for one with a large vent connector and easy to clean filter for the big vac hose, most of those little blast cabinets and some of the big ones come with a small connector and filter that does not move enough volume of air. They tend to plug up quickly and some of them are a PITA to clean in addition to not moving enough air.

Sanctifier 10-27-2007 02:51 PM

Here is a good used Sandblast Cabinet with Dust Collection System on eBay starting at $50...
Link--> Click Here

... and a brand new Maxus pressure pot too. Bidding is $100 so far...
Link--> Click Here

Low prices beat having to buy material and taking the time to DIY.
Plus the bonus of getting a Pressure-feed cabinet... for "peanuts."

My $0.02

retlaw66 11-03-2007 06:14 PM

That's good advice from Sanctifier!
Also look for traditional auctions in your area. I finally picked up a 48x48 Scat Blast for $700, and a pressure-blaster for $75. I went high on the cabinet, but it was the 4th auction where I tried to win one. Still got a good deal on it, and a killer deal on the Eastwood pressure blaster! :D
I do need to upgrade the dust collector. It's basicly a shop-vac motor with a bag filter. It's ok with a siphon feed, but not adequate for pressure-blasting.
My workplace has an awesome pressure-blast cabinet. You would'nt believe how fast it works! An intake in 10 min. Yes, I've gotten spoiled! But then again, it's a $4000 system. :rolleyes:
Some of the hi-end cabinets have a media separator that will separate the dust from the re-usable blast media. That's a worthwhile option if you use it ALOT.
My basic recommendation is to get a nice cabinet, and then upgrade to a pressure-blaster and a better dust collector. :thumbup: